THR Pain in hip after nine years.

@Me2 Hi, Sheryl, I am glad to read your post. Sounds like things are coming along for you, albeit slowly. You are truly a bionic women now. :) I will most likely have to do my right hip, but I am putting it off as long as possible. It definitely lets me know when I've done too much physical activity. I have been working out hard every day and it was screaming at me this morning. So, I took the day off and I'm not doing much today. It is nice to see you still around. I often wonder about you, @MajorHeidi @NoraJ @Hoppy Nanny and @younghippie. You guys were always a good support system for me.

@DesertHorses I would be interested in your reference sources. I will revisit Poppet's article, too. There is no doubt in my mind that our nutrition influences how we feel. Thanks for posting.
 
Hey there DEb!
I am glad to hear from you especially with your positive report!
I am doing well, according to my surgeon.
I walked five miles today, and did 12k plus steps...
Afterward I do feel compromised, and slightly limpy...
Slight sigh.
This will never be as good as new, but is almost as good... And ok...
All in all I am happy with where I am .
You too?



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi. Hi,Claire! I'm glad to hear you are moving on. I know what you mean about being good as new. I still don't really have "the forgotten hip". I can walk and exercise, but walking is harder for me than it was before surgery. I walk differently and I am aware of it. But, the grinding pain is gone, so I'll take it! Have a great day. It is nice to hear from you. I often wonder about all of us early 2014 hippies!
 
Why hello Debbie @Dmcdad2
So glad to hear a better report & that slowly you are getting there. I do seriously believe that these hips (or ours, in particular) take much more than 12 months to finally sort out & that our other 'pain' issues & perhaps some 'emotional issues' too cloud the actual improvement for the hip.
Saying that....my hip is now truly forgotten.....just got back from 17 day cruise & not a twinge! It's hard to believe that it was 22 months ago.
Glad too that Claire @MajorHeidi is finally seeing some benefits....great news.
I've decided it's time now to get a new friend...a new furry friend..at last I feel fit enough physically & mentally so I'm picking up Ruby ... A Sheltie..next Sunday...I've put a pic on my thread...so excited.
Love & hugs....keep in touch..,Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny Nice that you are getting a dog! My little dog died three years ago and I miss having one. But, we travel so much I feel like it wouldn't be fair to the dog. Once I'm home more, I will get one again. Glad to hear you are doing well.
 
Lovely to hear from you Debbie@Dmcdad2. I feel quite similar to you really although not exercising daily I feel more able bodied now. It happened I had to go to the UK for work and had no car so I had to walk more... It was good preparation for Italy! Thankfully I managed fairly OK but I can feel my left hip starting to go. I too want to put it off but I will go to my OS to check it out. it was definitely a slow year. I'm celebrating my 40th INA couple of weeks and having a bit of a bash and planning on wearing heels...(with flats with me just in case!) So progress! I was so pleased to read the leg pain left you and you feel so much better!
 
Just checking in. Today is 2 years since my LTHR. It has been a journey! The thigh pain I experienced afterwards lasted for over a year. No one ever figured out what caused it. It still comes and goes, but most of the time, I feel great. I am back to my regular schedule of working out. I do spin, body pump, boot camp, body combat and lift weights. I still don't have great flexibility, but I modify my movements and it works. My arthritic right hip still gives me groin pain on occasion and my lower back flares up, especially after a hard workout. I never had back problems before the surgery and I wonder if the thigh pain I experienced after surgery caused me to walk in such a way as to screw up my back. Anyway, I guess will never know if I would still have had this back pain without going through my hip replacement. All in all, I am happy with my new hip. My flexibility is better on that side and no more hip pain. I certainly didn't bounce right back after surgery like some do and it was a very difficult recovery for me. Still, in hindsight, I think it was worth it. Happy first day of spring!
 
Debbie, so happy to hear from you on your second anniversary! You sound as though you are doing quite well or at least accepting where you are! Congrats, you've made it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My arthritic right hip still gives me groin pain on occasion and my lower back flares up, especially after a hard workout.
You may not be walking right due to that arthritic right hip. The body does all sorts of contortions trying to stay off a weak hip. I have a history of lower back issues and they did improve slightly after my second THR.

Glad you are getting back to living life again!
 
Debbie, so happy to hear from you on your second anniversary! You sound as though you are doing quite well or at least accepting where you are! Congrats, you've made it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Hi, Sheryl, I see you are still around. How are the hips, back, shoulders doing these days???
 
You may not be walking right due to that arthritic right hip. The body does all sorts of contortions trying to stay off a weak hip. I have a history of lower back issues and they did improve slightly after my second THR.

Glad you are getting back to living life again!
Thanks, Jaycey. I have no doubt I am walking wrong. Maybe if and when I get the other hip done, I will see some improvement. But, I don't relish going through another surgery just yet!
 
So, here I am again. The left thigh pain I have experienced off and on since my LTHR in March 2014 is back and is quite painful. It happens mostly when I first start walking, then calms down after I've taken a few steps. It also comes when I am standing in one place and then lift my foot off the ground. They have never been able to figure it out. All x-rays, MRI's and bone scans have looked good. I could probably live with it, but my right hip and lower back are giving me so much pain now that I hobble around like I'm 90 years old. I can't believe how much mobility I have lost in the last 2 years. I have an appointment this coming Thursday with a different surgeon to look into replacing my other hip. I am afraid to go back to my first surgeon because of the lingering thigh pain. I have to do something to get out of this pain. I still am working out, but am only able to do spin classes. I have backed way off of my exercise. I've been eating badly because I'm depressed and I've gained 12 pounds since my first surgery. Walking is almost impossible anymore. So, I guess I just wanted to vent. This site helped me so much after my surgery and I will be checking it frequently while I am waiting to do my other hip. I have also donated money to keep the site going. I hope everyone who has benefited from BoneSmart will donate something!
 
Oh, Debbie, even with all my schtuff, I think the extreme success of my first LTHR has given me enough hope to deal with the rest. I am so sorry to hear ....... but super happy that you are approaching finding solution to problems via a little doctor shopping. A reminder that I did a "blast" of doctor shopping as I found BoneSmart and decided I was going to do this. My insurance never said a thing about having initial appointments with four or five practices in a months time. Hopefully asking them to check first side, too?

I can say same thing about my right hip
All x-rays, MRI's and bone scans have looked good. I could probably live with it, but my right hip and lower back are giving me so much pain now that I hobble around like I'm 90 years old.
but left hip and back are as good as a twenty year olds!

Vent away -- I'm/we're here for you! I do so fear BoneSmart not being able to continue. I have donated and set up a reminder to do monthly for my copay amount which I figure I save to not have to go to a "shrink" to deal with all of this stuff and the depression, anxiety, etc., that accompanies chronic pain. Support from the administrators and good friends like you are invaluable! We can do this!

Feel free to PM if you need a friendly voice to vent. Best wishes
 
@Dmcfad2 @Me2 Hi Debbie and Sheryl!
I will be part of the team with multiple replacements sometime in 2017.
My left knee is 'advanced' but not yet 'severe'. 1 out of 3 locations in the knee at bone on bone.
Going to pool as much as I can.
Debbie I hope you find a different surgeon for the second hip; I think that makes sense.
I also hope you get a resolution to the other one's pain.
Sheryl - you are a trooper! You are leading the way on many fronts.
Hugs to you both.... :friends:
 
Hi, Claire @MajorHeidi and Sheryl @Me2. So, some of us are still here! Claire, sorry to hear about your knee. Geeze, it's always something, as Rosanne Rosanadana used to say. :sigh: Sheryl, you have really been through it all! I do plan on talking to the new surgeon about my thigh pain, also. I am hoping (praying :beg:) that the back pain I am experiencing will improve after my next hip replacement. Otherwise, I will have to figure out what do do about that, too. Oh, well. I'm happy to see some familiar faces here!
 
Oh Debbie @Dmcfad2
Sorry I missed your post I'm not getting notifications.
So sorry that you are experiencing that hip pain again & that hip no2 is on the horizon. Trouble is I think we all think that the hip op is a universal panacea & we will be out of pain... But the rest of the body will not play ball.
Do hope another surgeon can help you.
I had a bit of a purple patch but am now suffering with the same knee pain that plagued me after my hip op. Also my other hip is showing signs that another THR is due. THAT pain has started & it's made me realise what life was like without it. I won't make the mistake of waiting too long this time. Must say I know what you mean about it making you feel older & disabled.... It's not how I expected to feel at 64.

Lovely to see that @MajorHeidi & @Me2 have replied ...just like old times.

Well hope better things are on the horizon for us all.

Cheers Chrissie x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart[emoji768]
 
I just found your thread @Dmcfad2 after a search for thigh pain. :yes!:I have the same thigh pain you have except that it never was in the back of the thigh. I put weight on my operated leg and when I take the weight off I have pain flowing through the front of my thigh. Just like you described. I am 1 1/2 years post op and have suddenly developed groin pain, probably from overdoing it but I havent got a diagnosis yet.
I see my surgeon on the 21st for a checkup. My massage therapist thinks I may need to strengthen my glutes on that side. I am seeing my PT on Monday for her opinion. I am hoping the groin pain is bursitis and not something worse.
The thigh pain comes and goes and usually when I start walking I have pain in various places but once I get going the pain goes away.
I do have a bad back with listhesis so the pain may radiate from my back. Anyhow I am so glad to find I am not the only one with this weird thigh pain. :yes:
Like you I was very active and in great shape until this hip attack and I have gained about 15 pounds and I feel 10 years older. I turned 70 in May and could always keep up to my women friends who were 10 years younger. Not any more! :blackcloud:
It sure takes long to get over this -I don't have anywhere near the energy I used to have and I do get depressed.
I will get back to you if I ever find out what is causing this thigh pain when weight is taken off the op leg.
I feel silly being so happy to find someone that has the same pain I have!
Cheers!
Diane
 
I'm glad you posted Granny Di cause it alerted to me---

Debbie-How are you doing? Haven't heard an update?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom