THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Hi Debbie, I came across your thread this morning and feel terrible for you that you are still so uncomfortable. My hip started due to a fall so I did not suffer the pre-op pain that so many of you did. About 4 1/2 months prior to my fall breaking my hip I had another fall badly breaking my leg at the knee which has healed slowly and was a factor in my 2nd fall.

I too, (and my husband) have been quite shaken by the sudden change in our lives and realized just how quickly our lives can change as we get older. At times, I feel overwhelmed with fear of more falls, aging before my time, facing limitations when I want to be enjoying life to the fullest. Although slightly different for all of us, I would hazard to guess that all of us have some of these feelings. For you to also still have pain and not feel confident in your surgical outcome as well as facing the probability that you will soon need the same surgery on the other side must be very overwhelming to say the least.

I would also advise talking to your GP. I think it is fairly common for people to suffer different levels of depression following any surgery. I did following the 1st of 2 back surgeries about 15 years ago. There is no shame in needing a bit of help with medication and it is often not needed forever. It might just be the little boost you need to get through the worst of this time and treatment could be much shorter if treated sooner than later. Perhaps thinking of this stage in the grand scheme of things might help? Let's say you would benefit from medication for a year to get you through this and possibly a second hip replacement ~ if that gives you the rest of your life back..... Please do take care of yourself and don't feel weak if you need some help in the short term, you will thank yourself later.
 
I've been away from this site for almost a month. I was always comparing myself to everyone else and it wasn't good for me. But, now it's time for an update.

In 2 weeks I will be 6 months post op. A month ago, I started water aerobics. I would be sore afterwards, but the pool always felt so good. After a few days of water therapy, I suddenly woke up with no pain. My thigh pain was gone. Just like that. It was magical. I keep waiting for it to come back, but I think it's gone. I don't know if it was the water or if I just needed more recovery time, but I am so much better!

My mood has greatly improved. I am back at the gym regularly. I am doing yoga. I am lifting weights. And I am happy again. I did go see my GP a month ago and told him about the pain, depression and anxiety I was experiencing. He prescribed pain meds, Zoloft and Ativan. I took the Zoloft for 4 days and stopped. I just didn't like it. I took the Ativan twice when I was feeling anxious and it calmed me. The pain meds helped my pain. And now I don't need them anymore. I felt bad having to take them after 5 months, like I shouldn't need them, because so many people on here quit them after such a short time. But, I guess I still needed them.

I am not 100% but I am optimistic now. I feel I am making progress finally.

I still have a clunking in the hip every now and then but that is getting better, too.

I didn't expect my recovery to take this long. I just wasn't prepared. I want to encourage anyone who is still in pain and doesn't think it will ever end. That's what I thought. But I was wrong. :SUNsmile:

Thanks to everyone who commented here in the last month!
 
Thanks Debbie. Nice post. I'm thinking the same way you are. It takes longer than expected, but you DO heal. Glad you are doing better.
 
Awesome Debbie
So happy things have worked themselves out! Whew!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
That is great news. I am so glad that you feel so much better!
 
Glad to see ( on someone else's thread) that you are going well Debbie @Dmcfad2... Fab news...keep up the good work. It's still only barely 6 months & it's gets better still xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am almost 7 months post op. Things are better as far as pain goes. I don't have much pain anymore, although my scar area still hurts a lot when I push on it and I still get some shooting pains down my thigh. I am still having a clicking feeling in my hip. It feels as if it is going to come out of joint sometimes. This has never been right since my surgery and has not gotten better over time. I still cannot say that I am better now than I was before the surgery. I think I may be one of the unlucky ones who didn't have the outcome that I expected. I can't walk as far as I could before surgery, mainly because of the clicking. It is so annoying and uncomfortable. I still have a lot of stiffness when I first get up and it takes me a few steps to get going.

The good thing is that I no longer have the groin pain I had before surgery in my operated hip. My other hip is still giving me pain, but I plan on holding off on it as long as I can. I really have no desire to go through another surgery. I hope everyone is doing well.
 
Hi Debbie@Dmcfad2,

It good to see you post. I'm so glad the pain had eased. Did your OS not get to the bottom of the clicking? I can appreciate where you are at...its a tough road when your recovery isn't quite the way you expected it to be....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Lovely to see your post Debbie @Dmcfad2 but sorry that you can't say that you are better than before surgery despite the decrease in pain. However, I would say that I have felt more benefit as time has gone on....I, too felt pain on pushing on my hip & had shooting thigh pain at 7 months....in fact it was only at about 9 months I could even lay on the operated side. But I have no feelings in it at all now at 13 months out.
I'm hoping that, in time, that clicking will go away for you & you can let us all know! It must be very disconcerting!
I hope you can hold off surgery on your other hip too.
So glad to hear from you.....was wondering how you were getting on...wishing better things for you xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@NoraJ I haven't seen my OS about the clicking since my initial 3 month check-up, when he advised me to wait and see if it got better as my muscles got more toned. I had an appointment, but I canceled it because I started feeling better and thought the clicking was getting better, so decided to give it more time. But, I am discouraged again and plan on seeing him soon.
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks, Chrissie. I always remember you saying it was at 9 months when things started feeling better for you. It does give me hope. I hate to be a whiner on this forum. Sometimes I just have to vent. LOL!
 
You are certainly not a whiner Debbie...far from it!
Why don't you re book that appointment to see your OS......it might just put your mind at ease!!
Do let us know...love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are absolutely not a whiner! I think I would find the cluncking noise disconcerting too...hopefully your OS can sort it. Take care of yourself.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi Debbie! @Dmcfad2
I am doing well again; after resting for about ten days the bursitis is mostly gone now.
The stiffness upon standing is going away now. Thank goodness.
I will probably do some more PT in November since its free (maxed out my 'out of pocket maximum')....
I think my quads need strengthening....
I hope you are doing well, and your other hip isn't asking for equal time? :unsure:
 
Debbie -- oh, I so hope that you get to feeling better than before really soon.

Have you thought of not only going back to your OS but getting second opinion? I know others are not back to normal for months but it seems so like you should be closer to "better".

So good to touch base with you though!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom