Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

@Josephine
The intense thigh pain is at about GL5f and HL5f on the hip chart and then continues on the knee chart at ALf4 and on the line between BLf4 and CLf4 to right above the knee.

Last night the pain was at G and H L2b on the hip chart. It's weird how it moves around sometimes, but it is always about mid-thigh down to knee. I tried icing last night while I was watching TV, as you suggested. I normally don't ice anymore, but I'm going to continue for awhile to see if I get relief that way. I quit icing because it isn't a constant pain, only when I am standing and then start to move.

Last night I was standing at the sink doing the dishes for about 10 minutes and when I went to walk back into the living room, the pain was so intense at start-up. That is the pattern of the pain.

I wanted to add that when I push on the hip in the area of the trocanteric bursa, there is no pain and I can sleep on that side with no problem.

Do you think it sounds like trochanteric bursitis?

Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine must have missed your tag. I'm going to try again for you so she can address your questons.
 
Lately something new is happening. In the las 2 weeks I am starting to have a lot of pain while walking that comes out of nowhere and hits me in the back of the thigh. It is at G and H L2B on the hip chart and continues to ALB4, BLB4 and CLB4 on the knee chart. Again, this is very random. I can be walking fine and suddenly have this pain. Yesterday I was walking through the airport and got a sudden, very intense, sharp stabbing pain in that area that made me cry and grab my leg. I had to get a wheelchair and be wheeled to the gate. Once I was seated, it felt better but came back when I tried to walk. Once I got home last night, I rested and iced. This morning it is gone, but I am using my cane to keep less weight on it. I have called my GP to AGAIN start the process of determining what the heck is going on. Maybe he can direct me to a new ortho doctor that will try to figure it out. I need a second opinion, I think. I feel I have never been right since surgery. This pain is unlike anything I have ever felt. It has moved around my thigh from front to back with regularity. Yesterday was definitely the worst so far. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing. Could this possibly be some kind of compressed nerve?
 
This shows the same pain in the left leg at both the front and the back
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.


This shows it also extending down the front of the left thigh - okay so far
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.



This shows pain all down the back of the left thigh
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.



So this all tells me that your problem is more than likely a sciatic issue and/or emanating from a low back pain.
I suggest you see a chiropractor.
 
Thank you, Josephine. Perhaps you are right. It does make sense. I have just been reading about sciatic pain and it does sound like what I am experiencing! Wow. You are so wise. :idea: I'm surprised my doctors have not mentioned this possibility to me. I have been dealing with this pain for a long time now and been to my ortho and my GP about it. I had never had any back pain to speak of before my THR, but recently my lower back will bother me a little and sometimes spasm if I have been on my feet a lot.
I talked to my ortho yesterday and he has ordered a bone scan to rule out a fracture (I think?). Anyway, he looked at my most recent X-rays and said they looked good.....in fact, he said he really likes what he saw there. I am going to mention sciatic pain to him and see what he thinks.
I just hope we can figure it out so I can start doing whatever I need to be doing to alleviate the pain. I am so looking forward to moving on from this surgery. If my bone scan looks okay, then my next step will be a chiropractor.:shrug:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dmcfad2 I have chronic sciatic pain and it is no fun! Can you take anti-inflammatory medication? Initially that worked very well for me. I also had some physio to build core stability in my back once things settled. Please keep us updated!
 
@Jaycey I have some trouble with anti-inflammatories upsetting my stomach. I was taking them for awhile but I don't think they were really helping with my thigh pain, anyway. I am sorry you suffer with it! If that is what is going on with me, it is quite painful!
 
Saw my GP yesterday and he has ordered an MRI of my back. He also thinks the pain in my thigh could be coming from there. Also, my surgeon has ordered a nuclear bone scan. I had blood work done and everything came back normal.
 
I am going to mention sciatic pain to him and see what he thinks. I just hope we can figure it out so I can start doing whatever I need to be doing to alleviate the pain.
If you are waiting for them to sort it out, seems to me you'll be waiting for a long time! Go see a chiropractor. I'll bet he can sort you out in no time flat!
 
Thanks, Jo. I don't have any experience with chiropractors. I asked my GP about them and they aren't covered under my insurance. That is okay; I can afford to pay for one, but don't know how to go about getting a good one. Should I be looking for a certain type of chiroprator or are they all the same? Do they take x-rays? How do they know where my pain is coming from? I guess I need to start researching a little bit!
 
Some do take xrays, some don't. As for how do they know where the pain is coming from - they use their hands! But most back pain comes from muscles so it's not exactly rocket science! And despite all their scans and xrays, do surgeons every really know where the pain is coming from?

You mignt also ask how I know 'where the pain is coming from' when I post my charts and questions. Well I can tell you that in one short word - experience!

To check out a chiropractor, find out the qualifications required in your state and then check them out to make sure they have them. If they have a website, maybe they also have a page for reviews. But you could also google them and see if there is any bad press about them.
 
Do I recognize those toes poolside? Good to "see" you again! Not so good re the back issues. Also unfortunate that so many of us share the back pain thing that I think we need to add a "sub" forum ..... As Claire mentioned and I certainly agree that I would love love love to have the support system for the ins and outs of "sorting" out the back pain ....like I think one of the moderators said somewhere if your surgeon can't fix it with surgery then you must be just fine.

Edited in the morning: when I am feeling much more positive . . . the statement about the surgeon is more likely from my own deducing and frustrations . . . . I guess I just feel like I'm :headbang: to the point of :bricks: when I've seen surgeons - both for hip and now for back - and get a "well we can't fix you via surgery" (as you are not "bad" enough or its just not fixable) and I'm left still having no idea of any other solutions out there.

Sheryl


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
.like I think one of the moderators said somewhere if your surgeon can't fix it with surgery then you must be just fine.

Gee, am I misunderstanding your comment??? I don't think you heard this kind of statement from any BoneSmart moderator!
 
@Dmcfad2 I can't tolerate the aggressive movements from a chiropractor. But I found that an osteopath does the same movements a bit more gently. Worded well for me along with acupuncture.
 
@Dmcfad2
Hi Debbie. Sorry you are suffering with back pain...its can be so miserable.....Josephine is so right, a Chiripractor can be so helpful in alleviating back pain. I've used one for 20 odd years now....every 6 months I go for a check up & they put everything back into place. Trouble is, everything in our body is joined up & when something goes out of alignment ( hip) it puts pressure on your back...sciatic pain is awful...so ask around your area for a good chiro....
It's good to know that all is well with your hip despite this setback ( life seems full of them!!) perhaps that will settle your mind & you can move on with some treatment for your back issues. Take care Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
But I found that an osteopath does the same movements a bit more gently.

Ditto on that -- I have found a great osteopath for my "regular" doctor and he is great not only at the manipulations buy also at talking through what he's doing and why.
 
Hi @Dmcfad2 - sorry to hear of your back/leg pain, it seems like "cure one thing, set off another"! When my surgeon showed me the pre-op x-rays of my back and hip, I had a lovely C-shaped bend sideways down the lumbar spine! No doubt due to the shorter leg on one side. Since having the THR, it has been gradually straightening but the muscles have complained:groan:! I wonder if your vertebrae have shifted and pressed on the sciatic nerve? An osteopath would be helpful for that, they are gentler than some chiropractors. Good luck in finding one near to you - ask around, you might be surprised at how many people have used one.
Hope you get some relief soon!
Anne
 
@Me2 (Hi, Sheryl! Yep, it's me and my pool toes, back again!) Thanks to all for the recommendations and comments. I am going to start looking for an osteopath. I have never heard of that before. I am still not convinced it is my back causing this thigh pain. It doesn't really travel down from my back to my thigh. It is more isolated in just the thigh area. But, who knows? I guess nerves are touchy things. I am open to it. In the meantime, I going to be tested again.....mri, nuclear bone scan, vascular study of my calf, as I still have a lot of swelling there. Oh, to be one of the lucky ones that just bounced right back after surgery!

Chrissie, I am so sorry about your fall! I have fallen twice and both times really set me back, I think. Sheryl, sorry about your back issues, too. But, the hips sound great! Both of them, wow! Jaycey, it always nice to see familiar names. I am coming up on my one year anniversary in just 2 more days. It doesn't feel that long ago and I am still dealing with some of the same pain issues I had after surgery. Bummer. Today I am having a good day, though. After 10 days of pretty significant pain, it seems to have backed off yesterday and today. It does that sometimes, but then will come back.

Thanks for the comments and support. It is so nice to have this forum, isn't it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah, I was just thinking......I have also gained about 10 pounds in the last year, especially around my waist. I used to be in such good shape and had a pretty strong core....so, this extra weight is not helping, I'm sure! Every time I try to get back on track with my eating, my little "sorry for myself" voice pipes up and says, "I want sugar!" I wonder if there is a surgery to silence that voice?? :loll:Sugar surgery!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom