THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Yes @Poppet I did feel stiff after sitting awhile. I know it's all the activity it did today. I am siting here icing my hip now and I took a pain pill. @Vetgirl Thank you, Sally. You definitely know about having patience. You have had a bumpy road and look at your positive attitude! I know I am doing well and I shouldn't complain. But, it is true that I worry about how well I will recover. It's all new to me and I just don't know what to expect. I feel so awkward when I walk. It doesn't feel natural yet and I wonder if it will ever feel normal. Maybe these aren't rational thoughts, because I hear of so many people who have had this surgery and they don't even think about their hip anymore. Isn't that the whole point....to be normal again? But, at this point in my recovery, I can't imagine being in that place. Oh, shoot. I need an attitude adjustment! I WILL feel better tomorrow!
 
OMG @Dmcfad2 YOU walked 3 miles!!!! I can't believe how far you've come!! I don't think I could think of walking that far yet!! I'm feeling like I am ready to start, but 3 miles!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Glad you enjoyed shopping, but you know....us guys do like those yoga pants....nothing wrong with them!! :snork:

Your recovery and mine seem so much alike, minus the 3 mile walk. I do too much and then stiff and sore the next. Keep up the GREAT work!!
 
Hi Debbie, you are approximately 1 month - at one month, I was still using a walker - patience my dear grasshopper. It took me seven months until I realized that I had forgotten my THR (now remember that was my recovery :))

You will be normal, you will walk without a limp, you will recover... This is tough surgery and recovery both physically and emotionally - be kind to yourself sweetie, be gentle with your recovery and yourself! x
 
Debbie @Dmcfad2 I hope I didn't make you feel like you should always be positive. At 4 weeks out from my original surgery I felt the same as you! I was on crutches till 6 weeks and a cane for a bit after that. I had the same worries as you and felt like I had to rest all the time while others were practically running up the street!!!!

When I referred to patience, I meant that when you are used to doing lots it's hard to accept that you get tired by a lunch out or making dinner.

Your attitude is great...:flwrysmile:
 
I do believe, I do believe . . . someday, our life won't be centered around our hips!

Sally @Vetgirl you are an inspiration on winning the marathon! At your age to be so wise and patient!
 
Thanks Debbie @Dmcfad2 ...I got confused there, thinking you were confused about me doing a marathon :walking:but the. I got that you meant a couch potato marathon :chillpill:

And I too believe one day we will not think about our hips:yay:

Excellent work on the stairs Debbie @Dmcfad2
 
Hey Debbie..remember....days matter...Sometimes I am forgetting about my hip...then some days I am stiff...sore...Seems the stiff feeling stays around awhile. I am striving for that range of motion thing. Its still not there yet. I think we have to be patient in that this will take us months to feel normal. The thing that is really bugging me is the numbness in my thigh. Do you have that? Oh that's right I think my anterior approach was a little different than yours?? The doctor says oh that will get better...hmmm?? I wonder if feeling returns? Anyways I can tell you 10 days ahead of you and I still ache..Sitting has become much more tolerable in work, When I first went back It was not fun. I feel pretty good I guess for I have to remind myself as to what we did to our bodies..LOL.....Getting dressed is not so the the struggle that it was. I can cross my leg over the other so that is an accomplishment. I think its the little things we have to notice that we do. Like for me as I had said before I have a claw foot tub I have to climb into....and I get in and out without a thought.. I am taking this slow because I want to baby this new hip and keep it with me for a long time. I am so happy though that my horrid groin pain is gone. This past Sunday I walked an entire Flea Market. This time last year I would have stayed home...So I think this is a success..and did I read you walked 3 MILES?????? Well heck I haven't done that yet...lol..You are right where you should be girl...Your recovery is a success....really it is......:yahoo:
 
Thanks, Joanne. @chaseyboy. I've been thinking about you. I know you are busy with work and aren't on here as much. I always value your input. I really do feel better. I had a bad day a couple of days ago and got tired and sore and felt like it was a setback. I have noticed some little improvements yesterday and today and I do know I am still early in my recovery. I need patience. I'm going to try to just chill out and let my body heal. :chillpill:

I don't have numbness, but I have swelling in thigh, knee and calf and they feel sore to the touch. I think I am dealing with some IT band issues, too. I have started doing IT massage on myself and it seems to be helping. I will be happy when the swelling is gone! I still ice every evening. I also have stiffness, especially when I have been sitting for awhile. It takes me a minute to get moving, like an old lady! :old: And I am dealing with LLD, which makes me feel uneven when I walk. I am walking without my cane in the house, but I walk better with it, so I haven't ditched it completely yet. And when I walked 3 miles, it wasn't all at once! It was over the course of the whole day.

You are doing great! Thanks for checking in with me. :cheers:
 
Thanks Debbie for posting this link. I may have read this earlier prior to surgery but it certainly hits home right now and exactly what we need to be focusing on.

Keeping all of these "P"s in mind will help when we have those bad days and what we perceive as setbacks. My problem is that I don't like that I am not in control here. But I am so very grateful that I live in a time where this kind of surgery is possible and that we have a very good chance of returning to our former pain-free selves!
 
@Dmcfad2 the stiffness issue is one I have been facing too, especially later in the day, when I tend to be less mobile. I have to say though, it doesn't make me feel like "an old lady". :rotfl:

Your 3 mile walk sounds great! How long did you need to soak in the bath to get the stiffness out of the muscles....?!
 
@Cantabrigian Interestingly enough, I don't seem to have more swelling/stiffness by walking more. I just have it anyway, I think. Even when I am less active. It is worse in the evening, but I woke up this morning with a stiff and tender calf/knee/thigh. I see my doc tomorrow and will bring it up but I think it's just "par for the course". So, to answer your question, I didn't soak in the bath, but it's not a bad idea. :idea: I would love to go in the hot tub at my gym and I have been following your posts about swimming and that sounds good, too. I am going to ask about getting back to the gym and pool tomorrow. I am hoping to be released for a lot of activities. :swim:
 
I hope your appt tomorrow goes well, and you get released for all the things you want to do.
Be sure to ask about situps and crunches - when they might be safe?
Question on the 3miles.... how did you work up to that? Is that a single walk? or multiple smaller ones? Did you phase the buildup? thanks Debbie
 
@MajorHeidi I will ask about the sit-ups tomorrow. It is on my list. I'll definitely let you know what I find out. On my walk, the 3 miles was one day when I did a lot of running around doing errands, plus I walked for a total of 1.5 miles in my neighborhood that day all at once. The total for that day was 3 miles. I have not yet done a 3 mile walk. I have been working up to it, going about .10 miles more each day according to my fitbit. The last 3 days I have been gone from home and haven't taken a walk, except to walk down to my mailbox and back. My fitbit today said I've walked 2 miles; that is just doing errands around town. I need to get back to my regular walking schedule. I was up to 2 miles at one time a few days ago, but I've been lax.
 
Debbie will be anxious to hear how your doc appointment goes. It sounds like you are doing fantastic!
 
I will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow and had my 6 week follow-up with the doctor's assistant today. He said I am "ahead of the curve." I am released to do what I want. He told me to let my hip be my guide; if it hurts, don't do it. He advised against running or jogging to make the hip last longer. I am not supposed to do deep squats or full sit-ups @MajorHeidi But I can do modified crunches and mini squats, which is pretty much what I have always done, anyway. He said I can go back to the gym and back to spin classes. :upright:Yay! He wants me to ease into it, though. I am going to start with the stationary bike and no resistance and slowly build back up. I will be so happy to get back to working out. It has always been an important part of my life and well-being. But, I am going to be very careful. I don't want to hurt myself and set my recovery back.

I saw my x-ray and it looks good. I have a screw in there. When I really think about that, it's weird and kind of freaky!

I found out I had the anterolateral approach, which surprised me. All this time, I thought it was posterolateral. I was wondering if I would ever be able to bend over and put on my shoes and socks and he said yes, that my body will let me know when that is okay. (I think I could do it now.) He told me the 90 degree rule isn't quite as important as being careful about planting my left foot on the ground and then turning my body towards the right.

When I asked him about sex and what I can and can't do, he got embarrased :blush: and said he didn't know about that. (Remember, this is the PA, not my doctor.) Really? I can't be the only one wondering. :scratch: So, I asked, "Well, should I let my body be my guide on that, too?" and he said yes. Thank goodness I've already learned alot through this forum or I'd really be in the dark.

I can go in the ocean, too, @AndisMom. I specifically asked that because of you asking your OS and because we live here at the beach and I'm a big ocean person. :surfer:

I asked about the pain and swelling/stiffness I still have in my thigh, knee and calf and he decided to be on the safe side and order an ultrasound just to be sure I'm not dealing with a blood clot. So, I will be doing that within the next few days. Keeping my fingers :fingersx: crossed that I don't have one. I feel fine, so we'll see.

My PT said I am doing good. I still have weakness in my hip which is causing me to limp a little when I don't concentrate. But, it's not that bad and he said it should get better as my hip gets stronger and gave me exercises to help strengthen. Nothing too strenuous, just hip flexor stretches and leg lift stuff. I definitely won't overdo it. I have been massaging my IT band, too and it helps with the tightness. I have had tight hip flexors and IT band for years, so it will take months to loosen all of that up. It is a goal of mine now, not just on my operated side, but on my right side, as well.

I am feeling great today. :yahoo: This last week I have seen some major improvements. The 6 week mark has been a turning point for me. :thumb: I have had moments where I forget about my hip! :wow:
 
Back
Top Bottom