THR Ouch's Odyssey the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@OUCH! Great report! I figured you had over done it for the birthday party. Im so glad your post op report was so good. Yay!
As far as your knee goes, the no out of pocket money is a huge plus. But it would be a hard time of year to have surgery. I'm sure the boys would understand. I would think having it sooner rather then into Feb would be a good thing for your hip too right? I imagine with the knee being on the opposite side of the new hip you are still limping on the bad side. Then you could walk right and heal both sides. :)

Good points @Tweetybrd I was really hoping not to have it before Christmas. Ideal would be between Christmas and New Years. I didn't think about it helping my hip, but you are probably right. Plus my right ankle which was shattered in the same care accident and my left knee (same side as hip) have started bothering me lately. I'm hoping having the knee done will give all the others a chance to recover too.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that as I stepped out of my truck today after my appointment, my knee started to buckle? That honestly kind of made my decision.

I laid out the economics for my kids. 13 year old is the most sentimental and misses grandma the most. He instantly said, "Do it!" Of course he also said, "if you save that much money, it means more presents right?"

15 year old wasn't thrilled, but said yeah ok. going to have to talk some more with 10 year old, but he agreed too.

Honestly it will make it possible for mom to be fun on spring break and it MAY mean we have to money to actually go somewhere or do something on spring break.

As long as my husband can actually step up and put his annual December Depression aside for one year, we will hopefully be ok. He has promised he will. He has done such a great job during this recovery, that hopefully he'll will do as well with the Christmas prep etc.

OK, NOW I am resting!!!

@OUCH! - ha ha on the peanut brittle front!
But seriously you really do sound like a fully committed and loving Mum - and the effort you put in to your own Mother's Thanksgiving and Christmas was really touching. Your kids will have watched and learned from your example, and another slightly different Christmas when they learned how to mash potatoes and join in the preparations will be one they'll definitely remember fondly I assure you. I love your attitude and style and will be watching out for your posts. Just try and get as fit as possible (and that actually involves rest) in the build up to your next surgery. We all wish you well and lots of luck.

@Tweetybrd he is a schemer that one. Keeps me on my toes with his lawyerly logic.

@Miss Muffet thank you so much for your kind words. I'm not the most organized person. I'm excited by the challenge of being mostly ready for Christmas 2 weeks early. :). My mom was very organized and energetic, loved Christmas and made them magical for us for our entire lives. I hope I can maintain the magic and the wonder for my kids for as long as possible.

I'm going to try to take it easy today. I'm sore. 5,250 steps yesterday without trying. Walking in and out of docs, quick trip through walmart for some long sleeve shirts and "health and beauty" supplies, but what I think really did it was the 10 minutes on the treadmill at PT. That felt great! I controlled myself and did only 10 minutes and didn't go too fast.

OS is sending a script over to so I can continue PT essentially until I go in for my knee replacement in Dec. I am so glad. If I didn't have an appointment to keep, it would be to easy to not do any excercise. I want to get as strong as possible in the next two months.

At the same time as I'm taking it easy, I'm so excited to start doing things I haven't been able to do. I've been sitting here looking at clutter that needs to be cleared and cleaning that needs to be done and couldn't do it. I could use advice from people who have been here before me on how to ease back in to life.

@Josephine can you tell me how long people typically take Tylenol after THR? I finally was able to shop for myself and found some 500 mg acetaminophen tables. So, I can finally do the 1000 mg you recommend. Should I still be doing it on a schedule? I am worried about liver damage since if I take it for too long. I will be doing TKR in Dec and assume I will be doing Tylenol for a while after that too?

Thanks for any advice.

That is what we tend to call a "how long is a piece of string" question!

You take it as long as you need it. You're the boss, it's your hip and your pain - what more can I say?

Thanks, @Josephine, that's what I thought. I guess I wondered if there is a limit at which point long term tylenol use become dangerous?

Oh yes! Sorry, I didn't realise you didn't know that!
The maximum safe dose of Tylenol per 24hrs is 4,000mgs

Awesome. Thanks! I'm doing that or slightly less. I was worried about doing for months at a time.

@Josephine
Oh yes! Sorry, I didn't realise you didn't know that!
The maximum safe dose of Tylenol per 24hrs is 4,000mgs

Does this mean you can take it long term as long as it is not over 4,000 mgs? If you are taking the maximum safe dose, can you take that everyday for 6 months or longer? What is the cut off time if you take it daily before it causes problems?

So far as I am aware, Tylenol is a perfectly safe medication to use within the limits I stated. However, it can harm the liver so it would be unwise to take it for any length of time. This is the kind of drug you'd take in varying doses, only regularly for short periods, say a few weeks. Anything longer should be under the advice and supervision of your GP/PCP

@Josephine - this has been my concern too. I've been taking anti-inflamatories for well over a year now in the build-up to my first THR, through recovery and will continue up to and beyond my second THR until such time as I am able to stop. On top of that in was prescribed the Paracetamol (within the max safe dose admittedly) but since the middle of April. I obviously need these meds for the pain, but the side effects are a real worry. I guess we have no choice though.

I cannot wait to be off all these drugs which is one really good reason for anyone hesitating about going ahead with surgery to bear in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, one more time: Tylenol/paracetamol is one of the safest pain meds going provided that maximum is adhered to. It's not fierce on your gut or kidneys and offers no threat of stomach bleeds. Unlike NSAIDs which you don't have to take long term to get those side effects. This has been clearly documented for decades and currently GE surgeons are expressing grave concern about the increasing numbers of gastric bleeds requiring emergency surgery. Nevertheless, people still take NSAIDs frequently and for long periods of time without a flicker of concern, presumably because the adverts tell them they are good, effective and safe! Yet there will be anxiety about paracetamol in spades! Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers

Hi All,

Have wanted to post so many times and wanted to check in on all of you, but life is busy. Trying to both continue to recover, "return to real life" and prep for my next surgery and christmas all at once is making me slightly nutty.

My surgeon had a cancellation, so I am able to have my knee surgery on December 9 in 41 days!!!!! i worry that maybe I am pushing it too much. Will my hip be strong enough for me to recover from knee surgery on the other side?

Also much drama with in laws over christmas and very contentious local elections. So much going on.....

Anyway, I must mark a milestone I hit yesterday. I have not had the "oh I'm so glad I did this my pain is gone feeling that so many have described". I'm still in pain and I'm TIRED of it. Anyway, here is the milestone: Yesterday was a coldly rainy awful day. In the past, the arthritis pain would have had me nearly unable to function. There was a debate last night for a local election. I really wanted to go. In the past, I never would have made it. Last night, I was in pain, but no more pain than I have been in for days. So off I went to the meeting.

Hopefully someday all this "healing muscle pain" will be gone and i'll be able to do all I want to do.

Now, I am just waiting for my kids' friends to head home so I can take my meds and rest. :)

This weekend goals are to decorate outside for halloween and make a plan for how I will get all done that needs to be done for christmas.

@OUCH! Yay! Baby steps. I am wondering if your continued pain is partly because of the opposite knee and maybe your body will be better after both surgeries are done. :fingersx:
I too am worried about the holidays. Everyone knows they will be helping a ton at Thanksgiving with cooking. I have older children and only one grandson atm. So I will be doing my shopping mostly online for our grandson and have warned the older kids that this will be the year of the gift cards. LOL

Do remember to rest and ice when you can.:ice:

Thank you so much @Tweetybrd. I think you are right, I think my pain is from all the damage my lower body has dealt with for 25 years. I am also really out of shape because i have been nursing these joints along for the last 2 years trying to wait for a good time to get them done. It is mostly muscular, kinda like the day after a hard work out. AND, I realized why I've been so tired and in so much pain the last couple of days. My period just arrived and I was completely astounded. Shouldn't have been she was right on time, but I have been so focused on my hip and knee that i missed the sings. Duh......
How fun to have a grandson to shop for at Christmas. He is soooo cute!
I can do most of mine on line and get it all wrapped while kids are at school. Our next door neighbors are Childress and I usually have everything delivered to them and then wrap at their house. They let us leave it all in their dining room and then on christmas eve after the kids are in bed we run over and grab it all.
I'm sure your kids will be fine with gift cards. I have a son that prefers them because he loves to shop!
Mostly I am sure your kids just want to see you out of pain. How old are they?

@ouch- I know your family will understand about Christmas. I'm sure they want you to get all your necessary surgery done and get on the final road to recovery so that you can resume normal life. With another almost 6 weeks of healing your new hip will be in a good place for your new knee. A new knee- that's a pretty cool Christmas gift!

I have one grandson who will have his first birthday in a few weeks. How old is your grandson? I'm not planning any more surgery but I'm still planning to do the majority of his shopping online this year just because it's so darned convenient!

I'm sorry that you're having healing muscle pain but I'm relieved that you mentioned it because I am too! Much more muscle pain than I expected. And I get fatigued quickly and am out of shape. It took me almost 3 years to get my osteoarthritis diagnosis and during that time the pain really sidelined me. Since the beginning of this year I went downhill fast and could not do much except work , grocery shop, and eat. All that inactivity got to me and it's been a lot of hard work to just get back to walking 20 minutes at a time. Previously I was very active, sort of an exercise freak so my current physical state is frustrating. Like you I'm tired of the muscle pain, I'm still icing most of the day and resting in between walking. It's just taking a lot longer to get back to my old self than I expected or hoped. Thank you for bringing it up. Don't get me wrong I am very grateful for my new joint and try to stay focused but the reality is this recovery is hard work and you don't just magically start walking normally after surgery.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for being honest. I'm sure you speak for others on this forum who've been in this same situation at some point along their journey. I hope you continue to heal and improve.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks