BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] Ouch's Odyssey the Other Side

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by OUCH!, Sep 16, 2016.

1. OUCH!

OUCH!

United States United States
    Surgery in 6 1/2 hours. Thought I would start my thread now.

I've been so ambivalent, but cooking for hours last night to stock the freezer has left me in so much pain that I can't wait to do this!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

Soon, it will be a totally different kind of pain...one that is manageable, and that will steadily improve. And then be gone entirely. Welcome to this side. Here's your very special reading material.

Sharon

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Cynthia777

Cynthia777

Sending you lots of prayers and a big hug from SoCal! You've got this in the bag! :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hope it's all done and dusted! You are on your way! :happydance:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OUCH!

OUCH!

I'm great! Been up and walked to the bathroom and then to the chair on the other side of the bed. A little sore, but nothing like it has been at times in the past and nothing like it was several days in California. In fact it's so good that I'm a little scared for the other shoe to drop.
    Nurse is bring oxycodone and Tylenol soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

@OUCH! Im so happy it went well and you are on this side! Keep us updated and get lots of rest. :)

7. Medfordart

Medfordart

Glad you are doing well! Get some rest!

8. DizzyBlond

DizzyBlond

Hurray, hurray, hurray!!!!!!! We're all celebrating with you, Carol Anne! You're doing amazingly well!!! :happydance:

9. jaymo

jaymo

@ouch- so glad to see your first postop post and hear that you've been walking already!! I prayed for you all day. Stay on top of the pain and don't be afraid to ask for more if you hurt. My worst time was 11 hours after surgery when spinal wore off. That's when I needed the Dilaudid. Day 2 will be better as the remnants of all the meds leave your body.

Sending wishes for healing your way.

Welcome to the recovery side- it's so much better!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

10. gullimac

gullimac

Glad you have sailed through surgery and can now begin the business of recovery. Take your time and have patience.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Doing well - and yes it is different isn't it. Excruciating pain before but a sort of inevitable "getting better" sort of bruised soreness that you know will improve over time. Well done and welcome to the other side!

12. OUCH!

OUCH!

So I"be been wanting to write a post about the surgery itself, but every time I start, there is someone else here. Hopefully by starting this one, the OS's PA will come in to take my drain out. My nurse has been waiting all day.

So the worst part was waiting in the pre op area. I did start to get really nervous. Especially because I have a bit of a complicated history and have several allergies and preferences (I've had Surgery so many times, I know how my body will react). Luckily the anesthesiologist was really nice. And he listened to me. Some doc's poo poo what the patients tell them, but this guy listened when I told him I have puked with every surgery and he gave me a scopolamine patch behind my ear. It was awesome! First surgery I have ever had that I didn't vomit afterward. He also agreed to move my IV. A student nurse had put it in my hand. It was painful and I feared it would cause problems when I tried to walk.

Anyway, it was a lot of waiting and then all came at once and away we went. Saw the surgeons PA, not the surgeon. The anesthesiologist gave me versed in the pre op area and then they wheeled me in to the OR. I got on the table and a very fine man held me while I leaned on him. (I say his was fine, but my glasses were off so who knows). I kept saying, Omar you are the best and I think I flirted a little. LOL.

Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery running my mouth a mile a minute. I felt good and didn't have any trouble waking up. The only issue I had was that I started shivering like crazy. Nurse though my bladder might be full and tried to empty it with a catheter (they took the catheter out in the OR). She couldn't get anything out and was concerned, but I was fine.

Soon, I was in my room waiting for the spinal to wear off. The numbness and tingling was tough to take, but there was no pain per se. As soon as the tingling wore off, the nurse got me up and took my to the bathroom. I was ecstatic at how easy it was to get to bathroom. I did nurse to lift leg in and out of bed, but no big deal.
    The rest of the night was mostly fine. A few more times to the bathroom and some pain. I only took half a dose of the oxycodone at one point which was a mistake because the pain got much worse. When I asked the nurse about getting the other half, she said she couldn't do that, but could give me dilaudid. Good stuff.

Oh, I didn't have an abductor pillow. They put a knee immobilized on instead. Apparently it still prevents you from crossing your legs, but it is not so bulky and uncomfortable.

Honestly the worst part is needing to wait for someone to come spot me if I want to get out of bed and not being able to get comfortable. I'm such a confirmed side sleeper, that laying on my back is hard.

Other funny thing is they don't have me elevating or icing. I look forward to doing both of those when I get home. Now, time to rest. I'm sure I'll update more later.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. belweav

belweav

Glad to hear you are doing well. It's amazing when the horrible pain is gone and you deal with the recovery pain which is bearable.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

Glad you were able to post your whole surgery story. It helps us waiting for surgery see how good things go and that we are worrying for nothing. lol
    Im so glad your scratch on your leg didn't impact anything.
    I am hoping you are getting to go home today and can get set up in your sun room and get the ice and elevate stuff going. And then you will be back with your boys. I'm sure all of them will be glad you are home. Hang in there. Get lots of rest. Hugs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Medfordart

Medfordart

Hope you are ok

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. CricketHip

CricketHip

congratulations on that new hip! :happydance:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. OUCH!

OUCH!

Thanks for asking @Medfordart
    I'm doing really well.
    So much to say, but about to take an oxycodone induced nap. I will try to update again soon.

Oh, I put a photo of my incision in the hippies show your scars thread near the top of the page. I'm pretty impressed. Home nurse yesterday measured it at 14 cm.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  18. Medfordart

Medfordart

Rest. Rest. Rest! Thanks for the update.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

Glad you were able to do a short post and let us know you are good. Get some rest and don't worry about writing more until you feel up to it. I'm kinda a wimp but I might take a look at your scar. hehe

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. OUCH!

OUCH!

Post Op Day 5 - a bit of a roller coaster

Hi All,
    I had hoped to update more and thought I had. I guess I wrote posts in my head, but didn't post them.

Anyway, the first day post op was really amazing. I kept watching patients walk down the hall on a walker and then back up on crutches and then later on just a cane. I was itching for pt to come, but was waiting and waiting and waiting. Nurse finally looked into it and was told I wasn't on their list. She got me on ASAP. OT came first showed me all the tools for dressing etc and took me down to the gym to try getting in and out of the model car. It was awkward by doable which took a load off my mind.

The PT finally came and I was amazed how well I did walking and with the stairs. We tried going up and down with no railing since we have 4 steps on to our porch with no railing. He let me rest a while and then came back later in the day and I tried walking with a cane. I was amazed how easy it was. I went back to the walker though because I was sore and tired later in the day. Also the pain meds made me dizzy.

Next concern of the nurse's was that my drain was still in. Apparently the surgeon never comes to the hospital on Saturday, but his PA was there. The PA in the morning told the nurse she had done it, but she hadn't. That's when the nurse realized there were two patients on the unit with the same last name. That probably caused the mix up with PT too. I found that a little disturbing. Eventually the PA finally came near the end of the day and took it out. Good thing too since the reservoir had disconnected from the tube and blood sprinkled every where the second time the PT came.

OK, probably getting to detailed.

Only other real challenges I had were pain control. I didn't want to take a full dose of oxycodone when I was waiting for PT because I knew it would make me dizzy and would affect what I could do, but by not taking a full dose, I let the pain get ahead of me.

Other thing that upset others more than me was my low blood pressure. My blood pressure has always run low. One night it was something like 85/45. Freaked the care assistant out and she took it three more times. Surgery always causes one's blood pressure to drop, but they do have to keep an eye on it in case it's a reaction to the blood loss. The other thing it meant was that the nurse wasn't giving me Lyrica because it lowers blood pressure. I think it also was part of what pushed them to encourage me to take half doses of oxycodone.

OK, I've written another novel. I'll be back in a bit. I hope.

• Friendly Friendly x 1