THR Ouch's Odyssey the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks and 3 days post op. I thought I had posted. I'm doing really well.
Hubby is still working from home as it will be a long time before the trains are running normally again. Thank you all for the kind words. Frankly, I am amazed that only one person died. @Constanze I am amazed you saw it all the way in Germany.

Anyway, I started outpatient PT today. I was able to drive myself there. The feeling of freedom was sooo wonderful. I felt like the world is my oyster. The thing that surprises me is that our honking big SUV is way easier to get into than the car. I think because of the running boards. I had no trouble. Our car is so low to the ground, that it is more of a challenge.

Today was mostly an evaluation. He is pleased with how strong I am and said mostly we will work on building on that strength. He also said he could tell I was resisting when he was bending my leg. Says I have obviously internalized the 90 degree rule and that's good. I was on the nu step - a recumbent stair stepper at a low resistance for 10 minutes. It felt great. I realized just how much I have missed being able to move and exercise. He was also very clear that he didn't want to do anything that hurt me which I found very reassuring.

I came home and iced and then slept a few hours. I was able to sleep on my side with a firm foam pillow between my legs. It was heaven. I hadn't slept well last night and my boys have shared their cold with me, so I guess I needed it. I don't think I overdid.

I am still looking for the balance of how much to do. Not enough and I get stiff and sore and don't sleep well. Too much and I sleep all the time and end up in pain.

Does anyone know if I should still be taking the Tylenol on a schedule? I mostly forget, but then wonder if I should be taking it. I did take it before heading to PT today, but don't think I've taken it since.
 
Hi Ouch. The nu-step was my favorite part of PT. I wish I could buy one for myself at home. I do have a treadmill, but that is pure drudgery to me. Finding and keeping that sweet spot between too little and too much activity is an on-going challenge for me, even 4 and 5 years since my surgeries. Good luck with that.

Is Tylenol all you are taking? Forgetting to take it is a good indicator that you don't need to keep to a schedule anymore....unless you're having pain because you forget. The main thing is to listen to your body. If you feel like your pain is well-maintained, then whatever you are doing is right. If you are feeling like you have too much pain too often, then something needs tweaking. Remember that as you get more active, it's easy to cross back into too much pain. That's a good sign that you're doing too much too soon.

But in regard to this statement....
I am still looking for the balance of how much to do. Not enough and I get stiff and sore and don't sleep well. Too much and I sleep all the time and end up in pain. ​

You do need to balance both activity AND pain meds. It works well to take enough meds on schedule to keep you truly comfortable. With Tylenol, that means doses of 1000mg, spaced throughout the day, not to exceed 4000.
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
Once you accomplish that, then try making small tweaks every other day or so....skipping one of the med times, or stretching the time a little longer. See how that feels the next day before you make any additional changes, so you don't have to play catch-up if you feel more achey or twingey. I found my nighttime dose of whatever I was using was the last to go, to help ensure a decent period of sleep.

In another month, you'll be so far over the worst....then you can start dropping the meds entirely if your body doesn't protest.

Sharon
 
@sharonslp thanks for the advice. I'm still taking the Tylenol 650mg every 6 hours as prescribed although it is stretching out and I have missed doses just because I forget. I still tend to take 1 oxycodone in the evening and often one in the middle of the night. I'm wondering if that is why I am so sleepy.

Doesn't help that my kids have shared their cold germs. I slept nearly all day yesterday and still slept last night. I have PT soon, but feel lousy and lazy and just want to sit in my recliner. I'm going to go through in the hopes that getting out of the house will knock out this funk. Will just warn the PT that I"m not feeling great today and will take it easy.
 
Are you taking one tylenol or two? I'm thinking that if it's just one, it may not be enough to make a real difference for you. I'm tagging @Josephine to clarify.

And sleeping is good...lot of healing goes on during sleep.

Sharon
 
I'm taking the equivalent of 2 regular strength. That's what my surgeons instructions said to take every 6 hours.
 
I'm still taking the Tylenol 650mg every 6 hours as prescribed although it is stretching out and I have missed doses just because I forget.
Doctors do this and I've no idea why because in my experience, 1,000mg every 4 four hours is far more effective. But if you forget a dose, that's a good sign that you are on the up!
I still tend to take 1 oxycodone in the evening and often one in the middle of the night. I'm wondering if that is why I am so sleepy.
Indeed it is! All opiates are sedative in nature. That's why I would suggest the 4x a day Tylenol instead. You can only try it and see how it works.
 
Thanks @Josephine! I'll try to stay on top of the Tylenol schedule and see if it helps. I'm usually only taking one 5mg oxycodone in the early evening. Didn't realize it would still have me so sleepy the next day. I will work on cutting that out soon.

I'm confused I thought the Tylenol is supposed to be limited to 4,000 per 24 hour period. Wouldn't 1,000 every 4 hours put me over that?

I think I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me when to take the doses at least during the day and evening. If I miss the overnight dose because I"m asleep, well then that's a good thing.
 
Hoo Boy is this a long road. As long as I lay around, ice and rest, I feel good and then I start to feel guilty for not doing more. My poor husband has so much on his shoulders.

My youngest turns 10 tomorrow. We are having a small party for him on Saturday. Luckily we booked a place where they will run board games as the activity. No cleaning my house to host. I have to supply everything but the activity. School nurse called me to pick him up early today because he is coughing so much, so we went to the dollar store for the paper goods and then went next door to Kmart to look for party favors. I had a couple other stops to make, but I was completely worn out so we just came home. I'm now icing and resting and thinking it may be nap time.

No clue how we will get everything done to give this kid a good birthday, but somehow we always manage so I'm trying not to worry. I might have skipped the party this year, but we have skipped the last few because of my mother's illness and death, so I was determined he have one this year!
 
Doctors do this and I've no idea why because in my experience, 1,000mg every 4 four hours is far more effective. But if you forget a dose, that's a good sign that you are on the up!

Sorry Josephine, did I miss understand? 4 times a day does make much more sense. Thanks!
 
@OUCH! you sound like you are doing very well. I remember that sense of freedom when I could drive.
And the frustration of wanting to do more. Rest and take it slow.. each week you will see improvement..
 
I battled that cycle of feeling great and feeling like I was making great progress, the crashing hard, then feeling guilty I wasn't doing more. I had to be reminded a few times to cut myself some slack, I had just been through a fairly major surgery and it was called recovery for a reason.

Enjoy the party, but don't expect too much of yourself. The people who love you will understand and appreciate whatever you are able to do.
 
No clue how we will get everything done to give this kid a good birthday, but somehow we always manage so I'm trying not to worry. I might have skipped the party this year, but we have skipped the last few because of my mother's illness and death, so I was determined he have one this year!

My son is 10 too. I understand that you want to give him a good party - I think outsourcing this at this time is a good idea!

He will have a good time and there is plenty of times in the coming months that you can spoil him. He will adore his mum no matter what. Go easy on you - you are facing a lot at the moment, and he is not feeling well either.

Guilt sucks! :gaah:
 
Thank you everyone! This support is sooooo helpful.

I'm exactly three weeks post op today.

I think I may be finding some balance. I knew there was a lot to get done today for birthday things. Sadly, I didn't fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the am. I decided to caught myself a break, cancelled PT and slept in a little. I'm fighting a cold still, so I didn't feel too guilty.

Then I did what most needed to be done as efficiently as possible. I looked at 5 below for party favors, stopped at toys r us for a gift, stopped at the comic book/game store for the game he wanted, went to the grocery store for an ice cream cake for tonight and a cake for tomorrow. I also grabbed snacks for tomorrow's soccer game since it's our week. Finally grabbed a card to put money and a promise to take him shopping for the video game he wants. Just couldn't make that last stop. I DID not pick up bottled drinks for the party tomorrow. I thought they would be too heavy. My husband will have to get them.

When I got home, I iced and elevated while my husband brought everything in from the car. I remembered to take Tylenol with me, so I kept to the schedule for that. I think that helped. Then, I went to school to pick him up as a surprise. Parents aren't supposed to park in the school lot, but I used my handicap permit and did it this once. While I was gone my husband wrapped presents. My 13 year old fixed me some sandwiches when we got home and I have been lying in bed icing ever since.

They have all gone off to soccer now. I told them they could go out to dinner without me or they could pick up take out. My sweet birthday boy chose to bring food home and have dinner with mommy. :flwrysmile:

While they are gone, I think I will go shower. That will mean one less thing energy draining thing that I will need to do tomorrow.

So I fully admit that I overdid it, but I did draw some boundaries and set some limits. I did not go to PT, I did not bring balloons to pick up like I wanted to because it meant an extra stop and an extra 10-15 minutes of driving. Normally, I decorate the dining room for the family dinner. This year, many of the boxes that were living in my office are in the dining room because the office is my recovery room and I didn't have time to clean it out before surgery. As much as I wanted to clear the dining room and decorate it, I didn't even try.

Now, I just figure out a couple logistics for the party. The place we are having it only have folding chairs. I know they will be too low for me to sit on and too hard to get out of. Frankly, I think hubby could handle the party, but I feel like I will be letting my boy down if I'm not there. So, I'll figure something out.

Thanks again everyone for all your encouragement. When I was told 25 years ago that I would need a new hip someday, I figured my kids would be mostly grown by then. I mean, 50 seemed so old. :rotfl::snork::rotfl:
 
For those interested, my scar at 3 weeks post op. I'm pretty impressed.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Ouch's Odyssey the Other Side
    image.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 246
very nice! that will heal up real pretty. :flwrysmile:
 
Thinks @CricketHip

I was told all the PTs recognize my surgeon's knees because the scars are so pretty.
 
@OUCH! I bought 2 stools that I used a ton during the first 4-5 weeks of recovery. They were tall enough that I could get up and down much easier than from a chair. They were light enough I could move them to different rooms. I even took one to the school to watch my daughters play at 2 weeks post-surgery.

I had my recliner back in my "dude den" but I needed something in the family room and kitchen area. That was what led to my purchase. Bet your hubby could swing out and grab a cheap one that would work well for you for the party.
 
Hope your son has a wonderful party and you get to enjoy it. Have a great time ! :yahoo:
 
my scar at 3 weeks post op.
Good scar - mine is very pale pink now with partial silver bits. I am confident it will fade to practically nothing.
The place we are having it only have folding chairs. I know they will be too low for me to sit on and too hard to get out of
What about taking a small cushion - even a blow-up one (not a whoopie mind you) - one of my BS Buddies on here said she always took a cushion with her if she ate out as the seating was always too low. Hope the party is wonderful - I'm sure it will be! :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom