Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer!!!! ICE ICE ICE :D

xoxoxo,

Linda

And elevate!

[Bonesmart.org] Op was off - and then on again!
 
I think I was probably overdoing things completley Rebecca :blush:

I have elevated and iced all day :)

I have been sick again though so I rang the docs and he said it could be a combo of the meds and the problem I am having with constipation!
 
Ohhhhh.....Natalie are you using stool softeners???? They are a MUST when taking prescription pain meds.
 
It sounds like you may need to take more of them or supplement with some prune juice. How many of the capsules are you taking each day?
 
Gosh - what kind are they? I use Fybrogel. One sachet a day, perhaps a second if that doesn't work. But who suggested you take laxatives?
 
Yes, Nat....sometimes the laxatives can cause more problems than they solve. I would stick with the stool softeners and add some prune juice along with it each day. Also, be sure you are drinking a good amount of water.
 
It's Movicol Jo and Senna at bedtime the doctor prescribed them is it not right?
I'll try the prune juice Jamie I drink loads of water and I'm having branflakes every day and pure OJ xx
 
I went through at least a gallon of prune juice in the early days. I'd have a glass before bedtime along with some Miralax (which is a safe, gentle laxative). I also took stool softeners twice a day and ate LOTS of fiber!

I also ate these individually packaged prunes as a snack a couple of times a day, all of this really helped and I was going at least once a day.
 
The problem with taking laxatives for any period of time is that even something advertised as "gentle" is a stimulant to your system. They are not designed to be used for any length of time because your elimination system then becomes dependent on the "stimulant action" to do its job.

It's much better to take stool softeners, which do NOT stimulate you to go. They are a bulking agent that just makes it easier for your system to naturally elimate waste. The prunes and prune juice are great too...as well as the bran.
 
Movicol appears to be a bulking agent so that's ok. I just question the sense of giving you a laxative as well! But far be it for me to question a doctor!! :hehe:
 
Well the things you learn!the senna isn't making any difference whatsover anyway so I will just use the Movicol I have no idea why I was given both?!
Does anyone else think it's behind the reason I'm being sick?I do have belly ache every time I eat and I am only snacking on small things because I feel sick.
Today I have managed a yoghurt and some plain roast chicken and lots of water.
 
Natalie,
I had that "sick" feeling quite a bit also. I lost quite a bit of weight because I didn't eat much. They were giving me stool softners in the hospital, and when they started working I didn't have any more problems with the bowels. I still didn't feel like eating so I don't know if the two are related or not.
 
When I was in hospital and rehab they first gave me some softeners I guess, and then some of this white powder looking stuff they stirred into water. Worked for me. Written instructions to go home was to take this stuff although I never bought it. Just used over the counter softeners. Just because you take those, don't think it's going to work.

When I was in rehab, had to go to 'poop' class. They told us what happened if you didn't go.

In other words, you really need to be sure you go and don't get impacted or you will have to go the the hospital and they will have to dig it out of you. Sorry to be gross. But that's what they said. And that was only the 2nd to worse case scenerio.

I am not sure if not eating makes you go less. I think you still have to go. I lost weight the first few months after surgery. I was just eating better and plainer food. But still have to 'poop'. I am pretty sure pain pills take away appetite. As i got off of them appetite did come back. : / But you still need to get those proteins in early on even if you eat just a little bit. Your body needs the nourishment to heal.
 
There is no doubt that you will experience some abdominal discomfort if you are backed up. I think you are much better off to eat many small meals throughout the day and night.

Part of the sick feeling may be from taking the pain meds. I was told to be sure and eat a few bites of something with each dose. What worked well for me was to have some brownies or banana bread in a little plastic tub near my pills so that I could eat a little of that along with the pills. The meds can upset your stomach otherwise.
 
That's a good idea Jamie I probably take most of my pills with no food I take the early ones at least an hour before food and the bedtimes with nothing at all,so I will try that thankyou xx
 
Natalie,
I had that "sick" feeling quite a bit also. I lost quite a bit of weight because I didn't eat much. They were giving me stool softners in the hospital, and when they started working I didn't have any more problems with the bowels. I still didn't feel like eating so I don't know if the two are related or not.

I have lost weight too Sonja it seems odd losing weight when I'm barely doing any activity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom