Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was in hospital and rehab they first gave me some softeners I guess, and then some of this white powder looking stuff they stirred into water. Worked for me. Written instructions to go home was to take this stuff although I never bought it. Just used over the counter softeners. Just because you take those, don't think it's going to work.

When I was in rehab, had to go to 'poop' class. They told us what happened if you didn't go.

In other words, you really need to be sure you go and don't get impacted or you will have to go the the hospital and they will have to dig it out of you. Sorry to be gross. But that's what they said. And that was only the 2nd to worse case scenerio.

I am not sure if not eating makes you go less. I think you still have to go. I lost weight the first few months after surgery. I was just eating better and plainer food. But still have to 'poop'. I am pretty sure pain pills take away appetite. As i got off of them appetite did come back. : / But you still need to get those proteins in early on even if you eat just a little bit. Your body needs the nourishment to heal.


Poop class I love it!!!

I've always had problems with my bowels and I don't go every day as it is so after every surgery I have had this problem.

Apart from taking the stool softners and more fibre there isn't too much more I can do :(
 
Hi Natalie - I'll bet you have an easier time if you have a bit of food with your meds like Jamie suggested. I have a problem with most meds and can never take them on an empty stomach. If I am not at all hungry I drink one of those yogurt drinks to coat my stomach before I take something first thing in the morning.

You made me laugh about the Movacol and Senna. They were trying to force both of those on me during my entire hospital stay. Since my problem is usually the opposite of constipation I had to keep saying no. I even found a new box of Senna in the meds they sent me home with. It's still in the cupboard unopened!

Take care. Hope you tummy gets better soon!
 
Hi Natalie - I'll bet you have an easier time if you have a bit of food with your meds like Jamie suggested. I have a problem with most meds and can never take them on an empty stomach. If I am not at all hungry I drink one of those yogurt drinks to coat my stomach before I take something first thing in the morning.

You made me laugh about the Movacol and Senna. They were trying to force both of those on me during my entire hospital stay. Since my problem is usually the opposite of constipation I had to keep saying no. I even found a new box of Senna in the meds they sent me home with. It's still in the cupboard unopened!

Take care. Hope you tummy gets better soon!

Glad I'm not the only one they were giving them both to!!

I'm going to gst some milkshakes as I am really not managing to eat much at all maybe they will help xxThanks Jaycey :)
 
Not sure about banana bread but I would avoid regular bananas, they are constipating. I've read that what the bowels need is bulk for you to get that urge to have to push and go. This can be gotten with fiber, lots of it. Try prune juice and prunes too..... fruit and cereals with lots of fiber.

I had a PT that recommended taking Senna too but it really didn't seem to do much for me either way. After reading on here that a laxative wasn't the best idea I stopped both the Senna and the Miralax. Switching from oxycodone to hydrocodone (vicodin) seemed to help. I continued to take the stool softeners until I stopped the vocodin completely.
 
Pears have an enormous amount of fiber. In fact they are one of the highest fiber fruits out there. If you are trying to stay regular, I would limit eating carrots, bananas, rice and applesauce. They are very binding. Oh, don't forget to drink lots of water.
 
Here's a list of high fiber foods:

o Bananas, 3 grams - medium 8" long

o Beans, 6-10 grams - baked beans, black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, garbanzos, pinto beans, white beans

o Berries, 4-5 grams - blackberries, raspberries

o Bran Cereals, 5-10 grams - All-Bran, Bran Buds, 100% Bran, Raisin Bran

o Bread, 4-7 grams - 2 slices whole wheat, pumpernickel, seven-grain

o Broccoli, 4-5 grams

o Brussels Sprouts, 2 grams

o Carrots, 3-4 grams

o Dried Figs, 10 grams - 3 figs

o Fruit, 4 grams - medium apple, medium pear

o Green Beans, 2 grams - broad beans, pole beans, snap beans

o Greens, 4-6 grams - beet greens, collards, kale, spinach, turnip greens

o Lentils, 6 grams

o Lima Beans - 4-6 grams

o Peas, 7-9 grams - black-eyed peas, green peas

o Potatoes, 4-5 grams - medium baked Idaho or sweet potato

o Sweet Corn, 5 grams

from: broken link removed: https://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Olinda_Rola
 
Jerseychick you are an angel thankyou for that list :catkiss:

I do eat a fair few bananas so I will stop them straightaway :thmb:

I eat lots of baked potato and bran cereals and veg and fruit.

I still haven't been yet :blush:
 
Not the first thread of it's kind we've had in here!

Nat, I suggest you try some Fybrogel. I've found it very effective. You mix it in a glass of water and drink it down. If you leave it, you can see how it swells into a harmless gel which stimulates the bowel. You can take it one or two times a day, depending upon how 'bunged up' you are!

Did I link my thread on this for you? If not, here it is a again Constipation and stool softeners
 
I have all these symptoms

~ headache
~ excess gas
~ lassitude
~ poor appetite
~ abdominal aches and pains

I will be sending hubby for Fybogel when he gets home from work xx
 
Oh and I forgot to say I am going to try my longest walk tomorrow to our local supermarket that has a little cafe,it's not far at all but I intend to have a stop half way and sit on a wall or a road sign!Then I am going in the cafe for sunday breakfast and I am going to put my leg up on a chair do you think they will mind?And read all the Sunday papers with my mum :)
 
Take it easy, Natalie, don't overdo it!!! I went out with a friend for breakfast at about 3 weeks post-op and I certainly used a chair to prop my leg on!!! I didn't even ask, I just used the extra chair!
 
Thanks Susie I will be doing the same!lol!
I promise I will be careful I just feel like I'm going a bit stir crazy and I'm hoping an hour doing something normal will help xx
 
It's a day wonderful day :)
I walked over to the local supermarket and had a lovely breakfast in the cafe and read the sunday papers I sat with my legs up and walked very slowly over there and it was perfect,yes my knee was throbbing and yes it hurts now but it's not agony I know have it elevated and iced and I'm going to take a nap but I feel very proud :)
Just wanted to share xxx
 
Yahooooooo! Great news Natalie! So glad you got out - even for a short time. Also glad you are now resting. Do, rest, do, rest. Find the balance and you are on your way!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom