THR On the the other side at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the other side C&B. I had the same problem the night after my surgery. I was just so glad it was all over - I was literally wired! Ended up watching TV most of the night.

The dizzy spells are very common. Just be sure and wait for someone before you attempt to get up. Things should ease pretty quickly. If you are at all nauseous - ask for anti-nausea meds.
 
Hey there, how's everything going today for you? I'm sore but ice and pain med's are keeping me comfortable. Take care and post soon how you're feeling.
 
Sorry folks for not posting sooner, i got out today at 2pm and i'm currently icing around the wound as we speak. Getting in and out of the car was an enffort, i'm glad i won't be doing that for a while. The pain medication has kicked in and is working fine. I haven't slept since friday night, i reckon i'll make up for it tonight though as i am busted.

sandybeach Good to hear that you're doing well and things are working well for you.
 
Hi cabbageandbacon Great news that you are home and you should have a better nights sleep in your own bed and away from the snorers I remember the uncomfortable car ride home and the I tense fatigue once I arrived So glad your pain is well controlled and now its rest time. Glad Cliftonville did well by the way My lads are in a deep depression after their defeat at the derby today ! Wishing you a good nights sleep.
 
It's soo good to be home isn't it and you just know you're going to sleep better in your own bed!! Take it easy, take your pain killers and don't forget the prunes!! :)
 
cabbageandbacon glad to see you home. The car ride was challenging I agree with you there. I am fortune enough to have had 8 hours sleep a night. hopefully you'll get some sleep tonight
 
Glad it's over for you C&B. Dizziness takes you off guard at first but you'll be fine. I had 2 snorers and an dementia patient. .. but I had headphones and music lulled me to sleep. X
Aud
 
Congratulations cabbageandbacon and welcome to recovery!

I have provided some links to useful articles from the library for you to read when you are feeling up to it, as I can't see where you may have been provided with them. These articles offer good advice and often answer a question we may have in the middle of the night when we are having trouble sleeping.. Don't forget the social room, always a good distraction when 'sleepless in Ireland' :)

Here is the mantra...
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Let the recovery begin! :)
 
I'm sending this from my phone folks, so i'm sorry if i miss anyone out.

I was having another sleepless night until i put another pillow under my leg, the pain somehow eased off and then the meds kicked in. I reckon i only got around 4 hours sleep and i went to bed at 9pm :mad:

I haven't tried the prune juice yet, today may be the day that i do as i haven't been since thursday.
 
Time for a stool softener me thinks..

Sleep deprivation gets us all.. It will eventually settle down.. I had pillows everywhere... Hopefully tonight :)
 
It sounds as though things are going nicely. The sleep issue is one that bothers a lot of us "hippies." Just sleep whenever you can. Try not to be impatient about the pace of your recovery--every one of us heals on a different schedule--and drop by here for lots of support.:bicycle2:
 
Another night with no sleep. I'll have to request stronger pain meds for night time as the tramadol just doesn't seems to help me.

Does anyone else here think i should have been given stronger pain relief when i left hospital?
 
Yes, definitely contact your GP to discuss your pain med protocol.. It is so important to have adequate pain medication..

Tramadol is good, but it appears it may not be not sufficient for you.
 
cabbageandbacon, I'm 6 weeks post-op and still taking tramadol, targins and celebrex (anti inflammatory). Also panadols during the day. I also have endones that I can take at night if I wake in pain. Definitely go see your GP. Don't be in pain.
Ally
 
Oh great, good luck.. You need some sleep...do let us know:)
 
C & B Good luck with your GP on some stronger meds. Let us know how you make out
 
It ended up i had codine in the hospital bag and with the tramadol the pain is well under control now. I'm now able to sleep on the non operated side and that has helped my sleep somewhat, i'm not getting 8 hours sleep but at least i'm getting a few hours between taking my meds.

My mobility is better as well, and along with the exercises from the hospital i can feel the leg getting a lot stronger. I've also noticed that i have a lot more movement that with the old hip, that's a very good sign.

There is one strange thing i have noticed though. I would be dozing off to sleep when i would get a shock through my leg which in turn cause pain in the hip! Anyone on here ever experienced that? It's a very strange feeling indeed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom