THR On the the other side at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again folks, been a while again it seems.

Anyway, i'm almost 6 months post op and all is grand bar a few issues with my back. Not 100% sure it's related but the physio seems to think not but is happy enough to work on it for me.

As for my hip, well what can i say? Everything is great, i've 200 odd mile up on the road bike and back at the gym most days on the treadmill (walking), cross trainer and the stationary gym bike. I'm also doing spin classes 3 times a week and a few circuit training classes each week. No adverse effects so far and i've dropped a stone in weight, 14 pounds for you Americans out there. :)

I'm back to work on the 7th October which will be almost 6 months to the day of my operation, so i'd say my progress has been very good.

Touch wood everything keeps going in that direction.
 
cabbageandbacon you are doing very well. It sounds like you're back as good as new. I'm getting close too. I haven't had any problems except some aches and pains as the healing was going on. Now I hardly think about it anymore except for the lack of pain when doing things. I have been back to work since June 1st....seems like forever. When I first came back I have to admit it was tough in the beginning but I think that helped build up muscles.
 
Hello folks, just a quick update.

Back to work a week now and things are great, no problems with the hip and the training is going great. So far i've 24 pounds off me in total, i'm under 13 stone for the 1st time in years. Feeling a lot lighter on my feet now so it's easier to chase round my little 5 year old and my new 3 month old daughter.

I started Pilates as well to help me stretch out around the hip and lower back and that's been great, no more niggles from there and i'm now able to bend down and tie my laces and put socks on very easily :) . Explaining that to someone who hasn't had hip problems is quite funny, the look on some peoples face when you tell them that is brilliant.

The simple things in life are what it's all about.


:bicycle1:
 
Fantastic C&B, yes we get it, these milestones are huge.. Well done you :)
 
It truly IS the little things -- but then that's what life is mostly made up of. Not the BIG shining moments, but the everyday little things. I was so thrilled when I could stand in the shower, I felt like taking out a big announcement in the paper! Still can't do my own shoes, though. One more hip to go before I can do that.
 
Hello again folks,

Just a quick 8 week update almost...:) Changed my fitness routine, now doing 4 spin classes a week before work. Great routine to get into and i find i have a lot more energy than before, 45 minutes a class and then a mile walk into work sets me up well for the day ahead. Doing plenty of walking as well, i recently went for a physio appointment and then walked the 4 miles home in around an hour, so i was well pleased with that.

I've now dropped 2 stone (28 pounds) so far and i'm now sitting at 12s 7lb (175lb), i've come a long way from the bloke weighing 203lbs. I feel a lot lighter on my feet and i'm a hell of a lot fitter, i'm now doing pilates which has helped a hell of a lot. Bending down and strecthing is a lot easier and i'm a lot more flexible, there are some exercises that i don't do, mainly the ones involving crossing the legs but i just change it for another and it's fine.

Anyway, i'll keep you all updated whenever possible, i don't want to drone on and bore you all.


:zzz:
 
Hi cabbageandbacon,
Loved your update and totally agree that being able to exercise and get the muscles working again is a great feeling! Like you, I am loving Pilates and some yoga ...as well as abs and boxing and fitball classes. The stretching and core work in Pilates is so good isn't it! The focus, naturally, is on building up strength and hip function initially but as we progress and start looking at the totality of body mechanics it's the muscle stretching that really adds value.
I'm 8 months post op and doing well. I'm sure the exercise has been one of the keys in my recovery too!
Tell me about the spin/ bike. How does that go with the 90 degree rule or are you past that restriction? I might find I am able to forget about that too but wont be sure until I have my OS checkup on 31 Jan....my last check was at 6 weeks. Seems a long time ago!
Just love Ireland..spent two weeks driving around your beautiful country a few years ago. My family are originally from County Clare...near Quinn.
Cheers!
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the the other side at last!
cabbageandbacon! Love that weight loss and getting all toned up and feeling really limber. (I'm just green with envy.) Thanks for sharing the success you're having since getting that shiny new hip.


Take care, keep us updated, we care.
 
Butterfly : 14 pounds in a stone over here, well everywhere lol.

bottomshollow : Thanks for that, it's getting easier as i get lighter alright.

Maeve : The 90 degree rule wouldn't affect you on the bike, unless you didn't have the seat height sorted properly. Too low and your knees would be up round the chest, so always make sure you get that sorted 1st before anything else. The spin classes are great btw, very intense but at the same time you can go as easy as you want to, especially good if you're just starting off. I love doing them now, though they were hard to get back into and still are, but hey no point in making it easy for yourself, right? LOL

As for the pilates, it's the best thing i've ever started. I'm the only male in the class and i stick out like a sore thumb in more ways than one, mainly due to me being a beginner among all the others who have been at it for ages. I've really noticed a difference in the strength on both my legs but especially the left and the muscle formation is coming through again as i lose the extra pounds, so a win win situation all round.
 
1 year on since my operation, now sitting at 11st 13 pounds or 167 for those on the other side of the pond.

I had my 1st year review and all is well, i'll be seen again on year 5. No effect from the hip at all, the cycling and the Spin classes are working a treat.

Can honestly say that it's been a lot easier than i thought it would be, as long as you take your time with the recovery process and be patient.

Short and sweet update folks, the last year has flown by indeed.

Hope you're all well.

Liam
 
Where did that year go and doesn't it feel so much better?? I'm on 13 months and 10 months with mine, still need to lose weight though so well done with that!! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom