THR On the the other side at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all do the 'one step forward, two steps back'.. Recovery is like that because we have to test our boundaries to know where they are!
 
I'm not pushing myself at all now to be honest, no more long walks to the shop (no idea what i was thinking). So i'll be chilling out, watching the football and leaving the worrying to others. My 1st check up with the hospital is around the 24th May, so i be off the crutches altogether by then all being well.

I've cut right back on my meds, still take the odd one at night as i'm getting terrible pains in my left knee but bar that i really don't have that much to complain about.

The wife took me out in the car for a short drive there on Thursday, it's amazing how easier it is a week later to get into and out of a car. I'll not be doing that often, it's nice to know that it won't be as bad as i thought it would have.
 
cabbageandbacon..sounds like you're doing great now...know the feeling with the knees... think since I turned 40 everything is falling apart.
Other way around in my house. Husband with his feet up watchin the footi so am gettin out the way incase his team gets hammered. Lol
 
Hello folks,

Sorry it been a wee while since i last posted, things have been going ok though. I've cut down on my meds and now i only take a couple of tramodol at night along with a few codine, i'm getting an awful pain from my left knee when i'm sleeping on my right side. I also get a severe pain from my hip when i'm stretching the leg out in bed, it's a bit weird to be honest as i've no pain sitting or standing. Although the hip itself does feel weird when i'm standing without my crutches, almost as if it's pushing up into my pelvis and wanting to come out!! Does that sound like anything any one else have experienced?

The leg itself is getting stronger, i haven't tried to walk any major distance yet since the last time, maybe a 100 yards or so but i reckon i could go a bit further if i tried.

When do you know if you could go from 2 crutches to 1 only? Should i wait until the hospital appointment on the 28/05? Or should i play it by ear and take it as it comes?
 
As they say ...it seems to be suck it and see!
Quite a roller coaster. One UP day gives you the false impression that this is how you'll feel from now on. Then comes the next day...total fatigue or muscles suddenly tight and grabbing!
Oh to have been born with the patience gene!
 
cabbageandbacon, If you are in pain perhaps you need to increase the meds for a while longer. You don't get any benefit if you are still in pain.
The hip feeling weird is perfectly normal. It can take a while to feel "normal" on standing.
It is a personal thing as to when is the right time to move on from crutches to sticks and then leaving them behind. Usually practice at home moving about with just one crutch. If it does not feel supported enough carry on with two for a while longer.
You will get there it is just that awful word "patience" You want to be up and off doing stuff again but your hip has other ideas. Unfortunately your hip is the boss for now.
Barbara
 
I found if I was listing to one side using 1 crutch I really needed to be using two to keep my gait correct.
The meds issue is just as Elosarabrab says. Tonight I was fine until I got into bed when the dreaded ache began. Half a5mg Endone was my solution.cutting back the slow release oxycontin but might find that is not really smart. Will keep you posted! :)
 
I still take the tramadol at night along with co codomol if needed, don't take anything during the day at all now. I've been using one crutch in the house and 2 when i go out, i've noticed that i get a real dull ache when walking for a prolong period on 2 crutches though but i'm sure that will pass over time.
 
Hello there cabbageandbacon Sounds like your having some normal aches and pains and wierd feelings. My hips felt like two big cement blocks for 2 or 3 weeks after surgery, and I walked with my backside back and sort of up in the air like a monkey! It was hard to straighten out. My hips felt very stiff, too. It was hard to stretch my left leg all the way out flat when laying down because it hurt in the groin area and was so tight and stiff there, probably from tissue trauma during surgery and internal swelling after. I had to sleep with my knee bent up for a couple of weeks because of that.

By 3 1/2 weeks I felt I didn't need a cane for stability anymore, so I stopped using it. But I had pretty bad knee pain, so my physio told me not to stop it yet. The knee pain went away after a week or two of being back on the cane.

If my legs aren't being supported well with a firm pillow between them when I'm lying on my side, the leg/hip on top will hurt, almost like it can't support it's own weight and is "hanging" and pulling. Do you use a pillow between your legs for support to sleep on your side?

The feeling you have of the hip pushing up I haven't had. But your hip is different now and it's all still healing and the tissues are still inflammed, probably swollen inside, so it's bound to feel wierd. My awkward feelings eventually lessened, though. I would imagine yours will, too. But of course, I would report any new pain or serious to the doctor to be sure all is well.

Also, they say that we heal faster when we're not in pain, so don't suffer by decreasing your pain meds too soon. It won't help in the long run, I'm told. Being pain-free encourages healing because all of the stress hormones aren't being released and there's less tissue aggravation and inflammation going on. I'm sure that one of the moderators, like bottomshollow or Poppet can explain it much better!

Keep up the good work! :) Sounds like your on the road to recovery, but it does take time.
 
ByGosh

The movement in my hip is fine, far better than before the op as you'd expect. I've started stretching my hamstrings and quads on a regular basis now to loosen then up as they're very tight atm.

The hip itself is annoying only at night to be honest, when i'm putting my leg down there is this tightness around the top of the hip as if it doesn't want to relax ( it does eventually though). Just a weird feeling but i'm thinking it's the muscles around the hip joint that haven't recovered and settled yet.

I'm still using a pillow between my legs yes, and although it's annoying i'm not ready to ditch it yet. I get what you're saying about the hip pulling and hanging, i get that as well, but it's certainly an improvement weeks on.
 
6 weeks review completed today and bar some pain from the muscles and ligaments around the hip everything is fine. The surgeon is happy with my progress and i have been given the go ahead to start using my spin bike, i've also given back the crutches and will start a few short walks.

The movement i now have in the new hip is fantastic and i can't wait until i get to have a spin outside on my bikes.
 
A brilliant update cabbageandbacon.It definitely won't be long before you are back on your bike in the great outdoors Well done!
 
Hello again folks, just a little refresher to be honest as i've started to experience severe pain in and around my leg hip but only when i'm lying in bed! I did think that it was the muscles and ligaments back then but now i'm thinking it's a bit more worrying than that. :cry:

Basically i had the pain when i went for my review last Tuesday, i explained to the surgeon that the pain i was feeling was the exact same pain that i had before the op. He told me that he expected it to settle down as in younger people he expects this certain level of pain a few weeks after the op.

My issue was that i shouldn't be getting the same pain at the same level as pre op. I used to gauge my pain by how sore it was when i sneezed, when i sneeze now it's as bad as before. I can't lift my leg leg off the ground without severe pain while sitting or indeed lying down, BUT when i'm standing or walking around i don't suffer this pain at all. :shrug:


What i will say though is that my overall movement is great, i can spin away on my stationary bike with no pain, bend down and tie a lace etc etc...

Has anyone else experienced the same type of pain or anything similar?

Am i overreacting about this and expecting too much far too soon.
 
cabbageandbacon do you think after your good report from surgeon you may have done too much again? We had surgery the same day. I haven't really been doing too much as far as long walks. I go out into the yard and walk around stores so I'm using my legs. I just got done using a cane two weeks ago. I was going without it some before that. I hope Josephine can help you sort this out....take care, good to see a post from you.
 
cabbageandbacon I see that you are as yet only 7 weeks out so this might well be due to other issues.

I have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
2. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?
3. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
Josephine

1. I was prescribed tramdol 50mg 2 4 times a day if needed, but i really only need them at night before i go to bed as that's when the pain is at it's worse. Also Co-codomol 30/500 no more than 8 a day if needed but i use them the same as the Tramadol.
Just to let you know i don't suffer any pain from the hip joint itself as i'm happy about that, the pain is lower down around the adductor and only hurts when i raise my leg up towards my chest or trying to lift it off the bed.

2. I'm icing a couple of times a day still, but the swelling has gone now so i'm only at it for around 10 minutes at a time.

3. To be honest i'm not really elevating it that often, i'm generally out and about most of the day now as i've been taken off my crutches. I'm starting to extend my walking radius and driving, so i'm elevating as much as usual.

4. See above for activities. I'm a lot more active than i was 3 weeks ago, if i'm not out walking, leaving the wee one to school, shopping etc then i'm on my spin bike just plodding along for 20 minutes at a time. So i think i'm doing quite well activity wise.

5. I take it PT is physio? If it is then bar the 2 simple exercises the hospital gave me to do, then walking or on the spin bike would be the only 2 other things that would get me moving about.


Am i doing too much or indeed not enough? From your questions i think maybe i'm getting well ahead of myself, were as i thought i was at the normal place i should be post op!!
 
sandybeach

I really don't know, sometimes i think that i'm doing great and that everyone who has a THR is the same at 7 weeks if that makes sense. I know some people recover quicker than others and some don't experience any problems at all, i remember back to my original operation away back in 88 when i can remember being back playing Gaelic Football and Hurling 2 months after i had it done. Maybe i should remember that i'm not longer 16 anymore and to hold back a little and chill out.

Anyway, i'm hoping it all settles down and i'm back on the road to recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom