THR On the the other side at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so pleased C&B that you have sorted the pain meds and that you are getting some sleep... Any amount of sleep is good, even short naps, they all add up.

I think what you are describing as 'shock' are nerves within the muscles which are waking up now.. Just monitor it..
 
cabbageandbacon, I get a sort of shock through my leg sometimes. Makes my leg twitch. Doesn't happen as often now.
Sleep problems make everything else seem worse. Getting the medication right can sometimes take a bit of tweaking. Keep on top of the pain and you should sleep better.
Happy Healing Barbara
 
Elosarabrab Poppet

It's a weird one, if i'm dozing off then they're every 10 mins. But if i'm wide awake and sitting about then nothing comes at all, just find it strange.

But anyway the main pain is now under control and that's a big step.
 
cabbageandbacon I've just caught up with your thread-- sounds like once you found that codeine you are managing better :)
As far as the shocks, I had something similar after some" lady surgery" at age 37. If i was trying to rest or sleep, my ab muscles would tighten/spasm reflexively, and I'd have to spend 10 minutes letting them relax. At which time some nurse would drop something out in the hall and it would all start over again. But same as you-- only when I was trying to rest!

Keep up the good work and GO Cliftonville!
 
Haha!

Just had a thought cabbageandbacon and zauberflöte, check out my article in the library 'Magnesium is a star' .... Suddenly dawned on me that you may be low on this very important mineral ... Critical for recovery when we have have had trauma to muscles and nerves..

I have to rush off to work but check the library article for it ... Will check on you later tonight.. Take care! :)
 
cabbageandbacon Just reading through your thread now.. Congrats on being at home and getting your meds and pain under better control - that's so important. Sorry about those electric shocks going through your leg. Sounds like a nuisance. I would imagine they'll settle down once you're a bit better rested and you're not feeling so "wired out". Sounds like the hip is doing great! Good luck and keep up the nice recovery. :)
 
Poppet great article, thanks for pointing me at it! I do get a ton of mag through both diet (beans, brown rice, oatmeal from rolled oats, veggies of all colors out the wazoo, all that good stuff) and a couple of supplements. My cardiologist recommends I add even more in on a short term basis if my palpitations get too annoying, but they don't and anyway my digestion did not like that one little bit LOL. Back when i had that surgery I spoke of, I'm not sure i was even taking a drugstore one-a-day, but I've been taking really good ones for about 11-12 yrs now. Hoping that will help come May!! :)
 
Poppet zauberflöte ByGosh

Thanks for the replies folks.

As of now 8.20 am i am buzzing but in a good way, i had a good nights sleep last night and i have little or no pain at all in or around my hip. I've eased off my pain meds and take when needed instead of every 4 hours, i'm getting up and down stairs a lot better and indeed quicker than when i 1st got home. The leg itself is still a bit weak, i can't lift it off the bed on it's own so obviously i know i have a bit to go yet strength wise, but i'll take it one day at a time.

I'm going to make my 1st venture to the local shop this morning and see how that goes, it'll be nice to get out in the open air.

On another note i had one minor shock last night but nothing major, but i'll have a read of the magnesium thread anyway and take a few things from that.
 
cabbageandbacon That heavy lead leg will get easier to lift -- give it a few days. I had both of mine done at once, and was helpless getting into bed, or onto the couch. But little by little I was able to lift them.

You are brave going to the shop so soon after surgery. You must be feeling well enough to venture out. That's good news! A night's sleep sure works wonders, doesn't it. But be careful now, don't go too far or get too tired out, else you'll be sore later. (Love, Mom LOL )
 
cabbageandbacon It sounds like all the things you're going through are minor. The shocks you feel in your muscles is when you're asleep or drifting off....I wonder if it's just your nerves relaxing. Magnesium is good a stool softener too. I take that every few days just for that reason. How did your outing go? I bet it felt good just getting out of the house for a while. I would like to get out of the house for a while but we are experiencing another snow storm right now. I hope you are staying ahead of the pain with your med's.
 
cabbageandbacon. Hi and happy new hip to ye...... I had that same thing with the shocks in my legs ... only at 1st when I was in hospital.. horrible feeling like spasms... usually when I ws dozing off to sleep (kinda felt a bit like that thing you sometimes get like falling off the pavement when your going to sleep then you jump). Hope you know what im on about.lol.
 
ByGosh sandybeach I can feel it getting stronger, but i'll just roll with it to be honest. I'm not going to push myself too much anymore, i made the mistake of going down to the local shop as i honestly felt great. It took a lot out of me, more than i was willing to admit as well. Sometimes feeling great in the house is a lot different from that outside. Anyway i made it back home, but i was wrecked with pain the rest of the day and through the night, needless to say i'll not being that again for a while. But it was nice to get out, but not for the pain i had to suffer the rest of the day. I honestly thought i done some damage as well but it seems to have settled down now so lesson learnt.

clarabo

Yeah that's exactly the same as i was getting, weirdest feeling ever, but they seem to have settled now all being well.
 
Hi cabbageandbacon I am so glad that you are sleeping better and have found pain med regime that works for you. I do remember having a similar experience in the early days when I had just fallen off to sleep I would be woken by a strange sensation in the operated leg It seemed to " jerk " involuntarily briefly and which really aggravated my hip for a moment or two only. I think it only happened about twice. I don't have any problems like that now.
 
cabbageandbacon. I did the same thing going out to early... felt I could have climbed a mountain then just about killed myself just walking up the wee hill outside the house.....sometimes for every step forward you take about 5 back... ye think being a bit younger would mean a faster recovery but I guess not..here's to better days :dancy:.
 
cabbageandbacon Our body certainly has a way of telling us what to do and not to do. Happy you got out for awhile but not for the price you paid. I'm glad everything is getting back to normal.
 
sandybeach,

The laxative effect of magnesium appears to come through two different mechanisms. Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm. Magnesium also attracts water; this increased amount of water in the colon serves to soften the stool, helping to make stools easier to pass. So very important to keep drinking water!
 
It happens to all of us, and even though we are told to expect it, we still do it. We feel so fantastic because the arthritic pain is gone, like we could take on the whole world. But with a rude shock we are reminded that we have undergone major surgery to get to this pain-free place. Finding the right balance of activity and rest is hard.
 
cabbageandbacon, I agree with what others have said. I think if you ask people on here who has done exactly the same thing and the vast majority will admit to it. It is so easy to think "Hey I feel great" then overdo things and pay the price later. The patience thing is the hardest to deal with.
Barbara
 
cabbageandbacon did you get the pain under control? It still was good that you got out for a while and now you also know about pushing yourself too much. I don't think we realize what happens until it does. Even our caregivers don't understand how much we should be doing this early on. My husband can't understand why I'm not up walking around as much as I did when it was just one hip. I feel my body needs to tell me what I can do, for now I'm sleeping a lot and today I did feel more like getting up and moving around in the house. Every one is different and our surgeries also went differently so just do what you feel like you can, not what others think you should be doing.
 
cabbageandbacon It's so easy to over do it. Too easy! Especially once we have a bit of energy and the pain is less. I was doing a lot at week 4 and 5, mostly because of Dr. appts, but also because I felt I could do more and should do more. Now I'm still sore from it and paying the price. Trying to cut way back on my activities now. Although I had a visit with the OS assistant today, who said the implants are 'perfect'. So this discomfort must be soft tissue. We have to remember that these tissues take time to heal and they're inflammed from surgery. I wish I thought of all that before!

I remember the day when people would be in the hospital a week or two after surgery, couldn't drive for at least 6 weeks usually more, even after having a baby. I agree with sandybeach that even the caregivers don't know how much we should be doing - they sure don't seem tell us very specifically what activity levels should be like in the weeks and months post op.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom