Guest viewing is limited

THR On the other side in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the swelling has not increased in size, if anything it is down a lot.

As of last night I was able to stop icing and didn't get swelling.:biggrin:
I actually slept 10 hours last night without getting up for ice or pee or anything.:yes 4:

Felt great this morning, no limp, but only lasted 15 minutes before the leg and I needed a rest again. But I get these flashes of everything working.

New leg is DEFINITELY half an inch longer than the other, I assume one of three things will happen:
1 I will get used to it.
2 It will shorten with use.
3 I will get an insert for my other shoe.

I know I am NOT going to have them open it up to correct it.
 
John, the leg length difference you are feeling is very common. In most cases things even out. But you need to wait 3-4 months before doing anything about it. You are carrying yourself differently with the new hip. And muscles on that side may be weak from compensating for the pain in the old hip.

Hang in there - most hippies see this disappear.
 
That is what I was hoping for. The leg is REALLY weak, It feels like I am getting by on about 10% of the muscles in the other leg, but it is improving about 1-2 percent per day.
 
John,

Option 4 is that they could do your OTHER hip to even you out...

I actually anticipate a comibination of ALL 4 in my case...

Glad to hear that you see progress. As long as everything is moving in the right direction, right? :yes 4:

Z
 
I had the same problem John. Worked with PT to strengthen the atrophied muscles and it did help a great deal. Don't worry at all. I am sure this will progress very quickly once you get the muscles working again.
 
Hi John and Z,

I was really worried about my LLD for awhile in the early days. My op leg was at least 2 cm longer. I would say that now it is about 8 mm longer, and it will be 5 weeks on Friday. I can still see the difference when I look down at my bent knees in a sitting position--op thigh sticks out further than the other. But I can finally stand on both feet if they are spread apart to hip's width distance. I definitely couldn't do that even 2 weeks ago. I have that same phenomenon--when I wake up in the morning, the first steps feel almost normal for a little bit but then that changes throughout the day.

I figure I may end up with a slight difference, but now I know it won't bother me as much as I imagine, and probably 1-4 are all in my future as well.
 
Almostready,

Maybe I chose to go by "Z" on the forum so you didn't have to say

Hi John and John :wink1:

I know exaxtly what you mean about how far your knees stick out in front of you when in a sitting position ...THAT is my most mind blowing view and it is hard to get used to but i can chuckle now. My body is adjusting quickly. The first time I spotted it was in the front seat of the car on the ride home from the hospital and i said "HOLY ....ummmm..." well, i guess i won't actually tell you what I said...

i now FEEL it less than I see it...

The body is a crazy amazing thing.

Z
 
Ha, I hadn't looked at my knees when siting. Wow very obvious.
 
Almostready....

OOOPS...we should not have told him....

John, did your eyes do this? :hate-shocked:


EDIT: Almostready...I've been meaning to ask you ...who is the cute puppy in your avatar? They really wear hats quite well! :doggieshmooze:
 
Ha ha, that's Tom in the pic. He doesn't look too pleased to be wearing his Christmas hat, does he. He is a lab and Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

I know, I feel bad that I broke the seal on looking at the knees from the sitting position!!
 
Hi John,
Just caught up with your thread. Glad to hear that you are so pleased with your recovery. As has been said already, the swelling with eventually subside - and when that discomfort lessens I am sure you will feel alot more energy. Pain is such an energy drain. Keep up the excellent progress.
 
I had a WONDERFUL pain free night and day. It has been SOOOOO long since I was pain free, forgot how good it is.:biggrin:

Here are some cute cat pictures of my cats to rival the other John.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
Killer Dave as a kitten

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
Mom cat and Tinkerbell on the bed.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
Mom cat in my mail tray.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
Mom washing Tink.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
Franky and Ditizy playing on a window we had out while we were cleaning.

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
Franky up the tree, yes he climbed there himself but he wound up taking a nap like that.
 
Great pics John...Killer Dave looks like a handful!

They all look like fuzzy balls of warm... :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
I am so glad to hear you are doing so well, John!

Love the kitty pictures - that Killer Dave looks like a furrocious hunter ;) They are all gorgeous cats - and I'm sure they have been excellent nurses and post op companions :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom