Guest viewing is limited

THR On the other side in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and be VERY VERY careful of falling for the next 2 months as it could shift the implant. Double plus ungood.

I got the admonition not to trip, fall or get in a car accident as parting words at my follow-up appointment...

We have those wickedly uncomfortable chairs at my OS office as well -- hate them!!

Great news that you got your staples out and had a real shower! Enjoy the hot tub and hopefully it will help with the back ache.

Take care,
Cardie
 
John, what you're reading is the "new, improved" instructions that are now posted for Extra Strength Tylenol. Due to the fact that acetaminophen is in so many products and the government thinks we are too dumb to read labels, Johnson and Johnson now recommends only 3000mg in a 24 hour period instead of the 4000mg that has been the standard in the past.

This is why you are seeing a difference. As long as you don't exceed the 4000mg of acetaminophen totalled from all products you take in 24 hours, you'll be fine.
 
Interesting that there would be variations in the dosages.. Is this related to a branding issue?
 
This is fun with swelling week.

I am keeping the external swelling under control with ice, ice and more ice, but the joint capsule, according to the doctor, is what is swollen up like a water balloon in my hip.

It squishes back and forth as I move my leg and presses against various things in there depending on where it squished to last.

So far it had pressed on the sciatic nerve (Backache), femoral nerve ( leg cramps in BOTH legs), femoral artery (slight dizzy spell then cold legs) and other fun things.

The doctor said it will take a month for the swelling in the joint capsule to subside entirely, I definately notice it gets worse if I walk much.
 
Hi John,
Hmmm, you're giving me a clue as to what might be going on with me. I had a little stumble the other day and literally felt the sensation of a sac getting squished inside my hip. I wonder if it was a swollen joint capsule. I also seem to have alternating pains. Right now, it's in the front of my leg, and it feels like something is getting pinched when I put full weight on the operated leg and at different points through a full step...
 
Yes I have noticed these kinds of ailments from many people about this stage ( I am 13 days out now) but because I am an engineer I have to figure out why,

Since I am just laying here, I have plenty of time to do research and play around with my internal water balloon to see what it does.
 
John,

Do NOT give in to your interest in seeing what happens if you pop the water balloon.

Other than ice....are there any other ways to deal with swelling? Is this a case (just asking) where less movement will allow it to calm down a bit? or does the movement help to "pump" out the fluid...and get it moving.

I can see either making some sense.

As my swelling went down I had increased stability in the joint...hoping the same for you!

Z
 
John,

Do NOT give in to your interest in seeing what happens if you pop the water balloon.

Other than ice....are there any other ways to deal with swelling? Is this a case (just asking) where less movement will allow it to calm down a bit? or does the movement help to "pump" out the fluid...and get it moving.

I can see either making some sense.

As my swelling went down I had increased stability in the joint...hoping the same for you!

Z

It is too far inside for ice and ibuprofen seems to have no affect on it.

Less movement DEFINITELY reduces the swelling and more movement inflames it.

I am sure when the swelling goes down, things will only get better, I am pretty stable now, but because of inflammation I can't move around much as it gets worse quickly.
 
Hang in there John! Just rest and keep icing. Things will calm down - just major healing going on.
 
Hi John,

Somewhere in that fantastic Bonesmart library I found information about the joint capsule and it sounded like it took about 3-4 months for that component to heal -- or if I remember correctly the "pseudo capsule" to form. You are still early into your recovery so keep up the resting and maybe find some good books to read, movies to watch and other types of distractions for a bit.

Are you able to take any anti-inflammatory medications yet or is it still Advil/Tylenol?

Take care,
Cardie
 
According to my surgeon, they did not remove the joint capsule, they just slit it open, he said it should take about a month for the inflammation to subside, I don't know if that is the same as healing.

I am free to take anything, I am taking 2 ibuprofen and an acetaminophen every 4 hours currently, but I could get other things. I need to take one aspirin a day for blood thinning.
 
Nice to hear from you all, I am following several others on here, Jetlag and Z15 in particular.

Thanks all for the encouragement, it helps a lot.

Here is my update for the day.

Leg healing is coming along nicely. Range of motion and strength is increasing a bit every day. I am almost able to lift my leg off the bed while laying down now.

Swelling is turning into a huge issue, see I still have a sense of humor.


The joint capsule is becoming a real nightmare. It has 3 positions and they all hurt like heck, I had to take codeine to sleep last night. There just isn't any room inside my leg for a tennis ball sized object.


Stamina is coming back a lot slower than I would have thought, I still am only good for about 15 minutes standing before I need to rest for several hours.


I have my final post op with the surgeon on 2/17
 
Hi John
Had my hip done on the 11th so I'm one day behind you, but this is my second hip. Sorry to hear about your pain and not able to use narcs has got to be tough. Seems like you are doing all the right things.
Good luck
 
Hi John
Had my hip done on the 11th so I'm one day behind you, but this is my second hip. Sorry to hear about your pain and not able to use narcs has got to be tough. Seems like you are doing all the right things.
Good luck

Don't get me wrong, I am recovering well and happy with my progress and I don't want to take narcotics, even if I could.

The darn joint capsule swelling is just an annoyance.
MY LEG WORKS AGAIN!! :yahoo:
It really doesn't hurt to walk on it and I really can see where I will soon be able to walk normally again as soon as the muscles and stamina recover.

Hope you reach this point too soon dectjc.
 
John,

I agree...There's a lot to be said for your leg working again! :yay:

I posted that photo I promised in my thread. I thot I would NOT hijack your thread again on the cat theme... :wink1:

Z
 
John it sounds likes things are going slowly but surely which is great. I know exactly what you mean about the joint being fine but the extra "stuff" resulting from the surgery holding you back. I am impressed by and jealous of the leg lifting. It might seem like a little thing but those little things eventually add up into a big victory.:thumb:
 
John
Both the muscle and stamina will improve for you soon I am sure. My OS is really conservative the first 6 weeks. After my first replacement I was always amazed how long it took for certain muscles to improve and how long it took to be able to stand without any assistence or support from a kneeling position.
 
Ice, ice and more ice John. Stamina is the hardest recovery area for some. But you'll get there. Slow and steady!
 
Swelling is turning into a huge issue, see I still have a sense of humor.


The joint capsule is becoming a real nightmare. It has 3 positions and they all hurt like heck, I had to take codeine to sleep last night. There just isn't any room inside my leg for a tennis ball sized object.

Hi John,
Are you saying that the swelling is increasing since you saw the OS last?

Jaycey says ice & rest. If you think the swelling has increased maybe a call to the OS's office should be made.

Going for that tag thing as I'm also guessing @Josephine: needs to speak on your meds & being 16 days out from surgery...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom