Guest viewing is limited

THR On the other side in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very owie today. Not getting by on ibuprofen and such, had to take a codeine and muscle relaxants this morning and again at 4 pm. So of course my stomach is upset and having issues too.

Can't get comfortable, getting back aches and leg cramps and just feeling sore all over, like somebody had been boring holes in my bones and pounding things in the holes, oh wait they have.:DOH:

The surgeon called today and talked for awhile, he asked about swelling, pain, movement and all the rest, he seemed pleased with my situation. I go in for the post op and staple removal on Friday.
 
I'm so sorry to hear that John. I hope you can find some sort of combo pain killer that can alleviate it. (((hugs)))
 
John,

I hope today goes better for you.

I don't know about you, but seeing the experts who have seen hundreds or thousands of folks going thru this experience that you and I are doing for the first (and often ONLY ) time, brings a lot of peace of mind. Knowing that what we're seeing is all part of the process is a huge relief for me...or a tweak to a med or exercise to get us on track is good too!

Keep us posted,

Z
 
Hi John,

I hope you feel more comfortable soon and that Jo's cocktail suggestion will work for you -- I forgot that you had some med troubles coming out from the hospital.

Hope the kitties are being therapeutic...
Cardie
 

I took that this morning, seems to be helping, I'll let you know.
I am a bit better today as I stayed off my feet almost entirely yesterday.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, my wife has also had both knees done a couple years ago, so she is also reminding me too, things will be better.
 
Hi John,

Glad you are feeling better and I hope the magic cocktail helps! Its lovely your wife hadher knees done, im sure she can relate to what you are going through.

Sending you lots of good wishes,

Sarah
 
Things will get better - that's for sure! Hope the "cocktail" is helping John.
 
John,
Good to hear you are feeling better. Stay positive and strong as you will definitely see improvement in the near future.

Cheers
Hoops
 
Hope the cocktail gives you some relief (sorry it can't be the real cocktails... Several nice one's with little umbrellas come to mind)...

Yes, sadly, patience is the mantra for all of us and the knowledge that so many before us, including your lovely wife tells us - it will get better - hang in there John
 
How did it go at the Doc's office?

The cocktail work? Ibuprofen is real rough on my stomach hope it helps you.

Got to the doc's office an hour early because we were worried about being late with the snow then he was held up in surgery so we wound up waiting 2 hours, no comfortable chairs or places to lay in the waiting room.

Nurse took out the staples and I got X-rayed, then met with the doc for all of 5 minutes. Yup, looks good, don't do anything that hurts too much and be VERY VERY careful of falling for the next 2 months as it could shift the implant. Double plus ungood.

Lots of swelling of the joint capsule, to be expected for the next month or so.

I took a normal shower this morning:yes 4:. And I can get in the hot tub Sunday night.:yes 4::yes 4::yes 4::yes 4:.

When I hang my leg and let it swing back and forth I can feel the joint capsule squishing around in there, feels like a softball sized water balloon extruding back and forth in there, very unsettling.


As for the cocktail, I have been taking 2 ibuprofen and one 500mg acetaminophen every 4 hours, Things are feeling much better, how much is from getting back on taking it regularly and how much from adding in the acetaminophen, I could not say.

At least half of my pains are from my back, I keep getting a vertebra out of place then getting all crooked up. I put liniment on and use my chiropractic adjuster to get everything back in place but I really need a good soak in the hot tub to relax everything so it stays put.

Movement is improving every day, not nearly as fast as I would like but definitely in the right direction.
 
John -

I have enjoyed reading about your recovery - you and Z and the others have a gift for writing and sharing the things so that we can all relate. Glad that you are making progress - it's those small accomplishments that mean a lot at this stage, and they add up !

Continued healing to ya Sir, and keep posting for the rest of us.

Kevin
 
Glad to hear you're making progress John. :thumb:

Your OS office sounds a lot like mine: appt is with doc, see the PA first who took stitches out, then doc comes in to say x-ray looks good, any questions?

*sigh*

I'm in awe of how little I would know if I hadn't found this forum. While the PA is responsive to my email questions, the doc seems to simply be the guy that does the surgery and that's it. :rolleyespink:

I'm wondering how much that would change if the doc actually had to have the surgery they are doing? :hysterical:
 
My surgeon is actually quite willing to chat and is very nice, but he is on vacation for 2 weeks and I just saw his PA, who I don't like and isn't much for sharing of information unless you drag it out.
 
John.....the cocktail really should be taken as written with TWO 500mg of Tylenol. It's the Tylenol that is the primary pain fighter. If you want to take the combination on a schedule throughout the day and night, you might try this:
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
 
Jamie, I think you might have the two backwards there.
I just double checked both my bottles and online.
I can take ibuprofen every 4 hours but acetaminophen only every 6.
 
Not on my bottle! Acetaminophen can be taken 4-6 hrly but NSAIDs are only to be taken 6-8 hrly
This agrees with the 24hr maximum dosages which are acetaminophen 4,000mg and NSAIDs 3,200mg
Check any website, you'll see I am correct.

LINK
Adults 500-1000 mg each dose (1-2 tablets)
Adults can take paracetamol up to four times a day, every 4-6 hours.
If you have pain all the time then you should take paracetamol regularly (four times a day).

be VERY VERY careful of falling for the next 2 months as it could shift the implant.
Gee, doncha just love a chap who has that much confidence in his own work! :DOH: :skeptical:
 
Interesting, the dosages appear to be reversed US to UK.
broken link removed: https://www.tylenol.com/product_detail.jhtml?id=tylenol/headbody/prod_ex.inc&prod=subpex# every 6 hours
Advil every 4 to 6 hours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom