Now it's the Hip

Thanks @MEPil. I've been reading your posts for a while and enjoy your perspective. I'm not going to check back with my surgeon, but I will follow her instructions about the Gatorade and won't eat or drink after midnight as instructed. All that's left is washing sheets and towels Sunday so I can wipe myself down with antiseptic wipes and sleep in clean nightie and sheets. I hate to work on a Sunday, but I'll make an exception this time.
 
@HipLucy wow, you are almost there. I sure will be thinking of you and waiting to see your posts on your recovery journey. Prayers for you. I'm sure you are getting nervous and anxious but we have to look at the ones who have gone before us and our hope for a pain free more normal life ahead.:console2:
 
,@MEPil you are getting ever closer. I posted some additional revelations about walker glides and gold bond powder in my thread.I can tell you virtually all my referred pains went away. My primary issues are regaining strength and muscle mass lost during the time since late May when the PT actually harmed me and caused all the referred pain to occur and regaining correct gait/balance to get off assistive devices in the future. Yes there is an end in sight and being pain free is part of the process...
 
Thank you so much for this encouragement. You are doing so well. Will you be doing PT with your replacement? Right now, I find I'm worried about everything. :groan:
 
@MEPil ..the Ortho group I used has a protocol ...basically a series of at home exercises that are changed over time and walking 10 minutes per hour. No outpatient PT. At my followup Thursday I will address the muscle loss issue and my potentail need for it. My PCP appt is in November and she is another ear if I need PT script. Whats unusual to me is how different the restrictions, PT plan and even preop prep vary from practice to practice for the same anterior surgery....as far as worrying, there is always something you may not have planned for. Today I took my first full shower using a shower chair.As much as we discussed how to enter, some of it was made up on the fly using the smaller walker half in the tub and half outside to help me sit on the shower chair, even with a grab bar on the wall above the soap dish. I guess the one thing you know and have experienced with TKR, is to think before you move, take your time. No sense worrying, just make lists and perhaps do dry runs of expected ADL and small chores with your assistive devices.
 
On my paper work from my OS, he has me going for PT. It will be with the same Therapist I saw after both knees and also to see if therapy could help this hip quite a few weeks back, before surgery was the only thing left to do.
We bought a shower seat before my knee replacement last Sept, have two walkers ( two sets of stairs in our house) I ordered the kit for hip replacement, grabber and etc. Two canes and crutches. Have ordered a hip replacement pillow too. Makes me feel like we have a rehab house but, hopefully, if I need the help, I'll have it.
You are doing really well. I know, in my mind, it's not going to be easy and takes time, just dreading the challenge. I have really gotten so tired dealing with this hip but I'm sure you understand. Some days are worse than others. My Pre Op at my OS office is this Friday (18th). Then surgery the 29th, getting closer.
 
@MEPil Getring organized and prepared, like you are doing, I think helps take some of the worrying down a notch. I have learned to use the bookmark on this site, so when I come across some great ideas to prep for surgery, from older threads, I bookmark them. Later, I can make a written list, once I get a surgery date.
I think your pre-surgery class will help you, too.
 
I think you will manage well, and won't take long to recognize that hip pain will be gone, and all the other discomforts Temporary.
You can do this @MEPil :tada:
 
@Mojo333 thank you for the encouragement, just very nervous now. Like all of facing these hip replacements, just want to be pain free and be able to have a life. The limp I had before the knee replacement only got some better after the replacement but then the hip pain hit and the limp really got bad. The hip was getting bad then. I never really got away from the cane and can't walk without it.
 
I was so perfectly miserable...and nervous... that I just couldn't help but think this was going to have to be better than the result of trying to continue the way I was postop.
Honestly, that hip can put everything cattywampus.:unsure:
The first 7-10 days were challenging, but I think you will be surprised at how much you can do and how you will deal with it.
 
Last edited:
Hi Mepil,

You're going in a few days after me, this will be my 2nd hip this year left in May & right on Oct 21st, I really can't wait my left hip replacement has been a massive success the pain relief was instant. I'm amazed at how good the hip felt and how instant the pain relief was.

One of my biggest lessons I learned was not to over do it coz when you do you really will pay for it, I won't forget that this time. I thought I had wrecked the new hip it took me 3 days to get over my busy day and I thought I was going to get into all sorts of trouble with my surgeon and his team.

So I take this opportunity to wish you well on the 29th see you in recovery

Wobbly 49 - guess I should change that I'm 50 now
 
@Mojo333 it sounds like you went through so much. You are right, this hip replacement has got to be better than trying to keep dealing with this pain and disability. I have got to keep reminding myself of that. Thank you.:praying:
 
@Wobbly49 I wish you well. I know you will be thrilled to have all this behind you and you know more of what to expect and what you will have to do or not do. We are close on our dates. I will be anxious to know how you are doing before long. Take care. My very best to you.
 
@MEPil you are well prepared.. The PT is essential, more than the self guided stuff.. My muscle atrophy is the biggest concern for me. You are probably quicker to surgery than I was so it should be an easier rehab.. Its all getting closer and you will feel so much better when the referred pain goes away after surgery. You are going to be great!
 
We probably all have some screwy muscle stuff once we get these hips fixed...all the limping and horrid posture.
Aches and discomfort...but nothing like that bone-crunching OA pain.
The PT is essential, more than the self guided stuff..
Walking is the only PT needed especially the first month, in my opinion.
PT was too aggressive and only caused my issues.
Plenty of time for working on any weaknesses after healing is well on its way.
 
@Mojo333 I definitely phrased that incorrectly. Need to slow down...cant blame the meds. Everyone needs to listen to their bodies and be conservative. I am having long discussions regarding post op expectations and the printed guidelines vs the guidelines here on the forum
 
I am having long discussions regarding post op expectations and the printed guidelines vs the guidelines here on the forum

Oh my, I know, and so did I.
And the PT protocol I was first given:thud:
It can certainly depend on the PT, but to a carpenter everything can look like a nail, you know.
My surgeon was splendid...but the aftercare was very subjective and I had to learn quickly what was helpful and what was hurtful.
Letting ourselves heal, and then seeing what needs working on is key.
Lots of temporary niggles.
 
Last edited:
My Blood Pressure is still running higher than it should be. The nurse from the hospital called this morning and I have her readings I've done at home, she is giving them to the hospital Dr and they will get back with me. I ask her if the Naproxen could cause an increase and she said yes. I am also pretty senentary with this hip. Seems like a vicious circle. I just hope it doesn't hinder my surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom