Now it's the Hip

@Mojo333 so ready to get it over. Keep hoping they can move it up sooner but haven't heard from them about that. The other patients are in the same situation as me and anxious to get it over too, I'm sure
 
@MEPil it's pretty much sleepless nights going forward, at least it was for me. Try ice, heat, tens, whatever you have available. Even if it only distracts you for a while, any little break will help. The days are starting to wind down, your date is getting closer and you're going to feel so much better afterward. You probably won't sleep that great for a while but it will all even out.
 
@MEPil You already have experience with a replacement, and I imagine you will have some great questions to ask. My last question was, “Is there anything I have not asked, which you think I should ask?” The second OS I saw gave me very complete answers and saved me the trouble of getting a metal allergy test, pointing out that my sandals had a metal decor touching my skin, which most likely had nickel in it, and the dark color coming off my gold jewelry, after washing, my hands, was just oxidation. Asking questions helps me feel more prepared and less stressed about the surgery.
 
@VSlowLife, you are kind, I just hope I ask the right questions. I'm just anxious to get it over with. I've noticed the past couple of days, I have been having questions for myself. I'm I going to be ok, will this really take care of all this pain and disability. Guess the fear is sitting in.
 
@MEPil I have the same thoughts about all the referred pain throughout my leg, the knee which is excruciating at times, the aches etc. I have to trust the process. I have a friend who is a rheumatologist specialist who went through the same thing, used the same surgeon he used and who was my second opinion and guided me ( you need a new hip...) everyone seems to say the other pains go away. of course you have the post operative pains and recovery, but that is part of healing, not part of suffering. Going to send you a PM
 
@Steelmanpa, pain free is our goal and able to walk like a normal person, no more crutch.
Today the pain has been a bit easier and I'm enjoying every minute of it. It moves from day to day too.
 
@MEPil Thank you, perhaps you can look at the library for hip topics to help you formulate some question? It is up on the top of the site, to the right.
I will never forget a 90 year old acquaintance who was in the same two second, stretch class with me. She never smiled (pain) and she was in great shape for 90. She had two canes. Just a few weeks after her hip surgery, she came back to the gym with one cane and a very big smile! That spoke volumes to me, and I know other folks who have done very well. My surgeon told me about the scary stuff, because he had to do that, but he also said 95% of the time it goes very well.
 
@VSlowLife, that is wonderful about that 90 year old, she is admirable for going through all of that and fighting so hard to get well. Makes me smile for her.
Thank you for sharing that.
 
Today was my Lab work up, pre op check up, and Class at the hospital. Everything went well, my blood pressure was a bit elevated so they checked it several times and it was acceptable. I am still checking it at home as well. My next pre op check up is with my OS on the 18th. Looks like time is moving forward. There are quite a few people in the class getting ready for their hip replacement and well. Hope everyone is having a good day.
 
@MEPil Sounds like you are doing well, getting ready for surgery. You have been through this before, and I wonder if you noticed any changes? I noticed for my recent smaller surgery, everything was so much more streamlined before the surgery, more double and triple checking, than my last major surgery. More focused on pain management before surgery, which was a new concept to me, too, and it worked!
 
Yes, there were changes. I mostly saw nurses last time for the pre op check up, this time I saw the hospital Dr as well. I was given shake mixes to drink the 5 days before surgery and I am to drink 2 -20oz Gatorade drinks the day before surgery and a 12oz the morning of surgery. Most of the class presentation, except it covering the hip this time, was familiar. From what we were told, they have found out the Gatorade, electrolytes, help balance the patient. Last September for my knee replacement, I couldn't have anything the morning of surgery.
 
Thats very interesting about the Gatorade @MEPil
I noticed several changes too, in less than a 4 year span.
I’m sorry you are having painful days. I remember those days well.
Then I’d have a good-ish day and doubt the necessity of surgery! Aaah. The good old days.... not!
 
Hi @MEPil
I've been hearing more and more about the Gatorade just prior to surgery.
Like you were told last time, I was given the "nothing after midnight" instructions.
I don't reckon checking your blood pressure after talking about hip replacement is exactly fair...:unsure:
But seriously, I do hope it all stays good.
The waiting truly is the worst part.

Hope today is a Good day.
 
Yes, I did have the shot back in June in the groin. Had to go to the surgery center for my OS to do it. I then, in a short time, had to go into his office and get a shot for hip bursitis, his assistant did it in the office. The groin shot lasted about 5 weeks, the bursitis is gone. I then went to PT and it hasn't helped except maybe regain some strength. Pain and disability are my companions.
I'm sorry about this. I totally understand. I went through all of this last fall/winter and ended up having an arthroscope done. The shots didn't help at all and made it worse. PT was a waste of time. Imagine showed nothing wrong. The arthroscope found several things wrong that were fixed but the microfracture for the area of bone on bone didn't help at all. I'm worse now and scheduled for surgery in December. I see you are scheduled at the end of the month. I hope this helps like I hear it will. Best wishes to soon be pain-free.
 
@Grammy57 so sorry to hear all you have been dealing with. I wish the best for you in December. Sure is a challenge to deal with these problems.
I only got about 5 weeks of relief from the groin injection and PT, at this point, was worthless for me, but we will sure try to help ourself avoid surgery if we can. Your arthroscope was a blessing for you, now you can move forward.
 
My surgeon was adamant about not drinking the Gatorade. It was given to me yesterday at my pre-op. And I don't understand why I was told no water after midnight, but Gatorade two hours before surgery.
 
@Grammy57 so sorry to hear all you have been dealing with. I wish the best for you in December. Sure is a challenge to deal with these problems.
I only got about 5 weeks of relief from the groin injection and PT, at this point, was worthless for me, but we will sure try to help ourself avoid surgery if we can. Your arthroscope was a blessing for you, now you can move forward.
Yes, I agree. Hate surgery but need to be able to live a normal life. At this point I still have some good days but the bad days are what made my decision for me. I didn't have an injection in the groin. At that point they thought it was bursitis. Before seeing an os I was in pain management. I even saw a general surgeon before that who did an exploratory scope to see why I was having groin pain and while in there, without my agreement, clipped a nerve! It didn't help, of course, and now I have numb skin in that area. Ugh.
 
@Grammy57 oh my, how horrible. Things have been added to you that you shouldn't have had to deal with. I had Bursitis just after the groin shot and got a shot for it and the Bursitis hasn't come back, it was in the outer upper leg on my right side, it really hurt but the shot did its job on that.
 
@HipLucy I really have no answer for that. It is a newer pre op step that is being done. Last September when I had my knee replacement, it was not being done. With my upcoming Hip surgery, it is.
If you are concerned about your pre op orders, you might want to check with your OS. Best wishes to you.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom