Guest viewing is limited

THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life

Sooo happy for you. I am right there with you on the excitement of standing on one leg unsupported. We might have diff stories and timelines but I can sooo relate on this one. A friend of mine who is an occupational therapist says 10 seconds is the first marker that someone is on their way. Cardie always tells me, and it is so true, that I should not try something for a while and then go back to it and lots of times wow, I can do it. That is what I did with my one leg standing. I just let go of it for a while and focused on other things and when i went back, YIPEE.

I feel your joy and your newfound hope since feeling you have turned a corner. Having hope is so important. So glad the PT is being what you need it to be and life is feeling a bit more normal, whatever that is, right? :SUNsmile: cathy
 
I did work just as hard and was able to stand on one foot (new L hip side) and balance! I have been working on this for months. And I walked a lot more without the cane! I finally feel as though I have turned a HUGE corner.

Hi Diane,

This is fantastic news, standing on one foot, truly one of those "Ta Da" kind of moments!!!:yay:

Cheers on the progress & turning of the huge corner, nicely done!! :cheers:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Diane, things are really improving for you!!! That is such good news!!!!!!!!!

I'm still hoping to be able to meet up on August 6th.

Dorothy
 
Diane, I'm so happy for you. Sometimes when you are so busy healing we miss seeing the success. Keep it Up!!We have your back. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Diane, How are you doing with all the heat and such. Hope you are ok. How is your foot doing? Take care.:puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hi Diane, hope you are doing well. The weather has become so much cooler and more pleasant. It's just gorgeous!!!!

I found out my August 6th appointment is at 2:55, so does lunch around 1:00 pm sound like a good plan? We can have a nice visit and then I'll go to my appointment afterwards.

Look at Tashia ride that bike--pretty impressive!!!! :-)

Dorothy
 
Hi Tash! Yes I am doing good, just a busy week. I'll catch up later.

Dorothy, sounds great! What is the name of the place? I'll catch up with you later too. Dr. appt. I'm off to now.
 
My biggest fear...falling...happened Friday morning as I was walking out of my door to go to PT. As far as I can figure my cane got caught on the knob of a drawer in my kitchen and brought me to a halting stop and down I went. Landed on my L side, hard, and lied there for a moment and thought "I think I am OK", heart pounding, my phone was in my pocket and I called my dad and he and my mom and sister-in-law came over. They put a chair in front of me and I was able to get on my knees and pull myself up. It really shook me up. It all happened so fast. Hurt my elbow, arm, shoulder, neck and knee, forearms and hands, probably trying to break the fall. (but nothing hurts major bad). My L hip has not hurt at all until just now when I woke up. I have been taking tylenol round the clock and icing. I did call my OS and they said I can come in if I feel I need to but I really think all is OK. Just pretty sore and going to take it easy again today. Scary stuff...but the good news is I fell and I am OK!

Everything else is going great, just hoping nothing will come of this and I didn't do anything to the hip. It feels a little sore now but as I type I have ice on and took more tylenol. I will call OS Monday morning if it still hurts just for my own peace of mind.

Thanks for being here and listening.
 
dianemarie;

Hi Sis, I am online and have just read your last post.... I can so understand how you are feeling, this is what we all dread.... I just wish I could pick up the phone and ring you...

You are doing everything you can for it right now... I am sure it is going to be ok :)

Can you stand and walk and what does that feel like? Is it sore or a sharp pain?

I have a friend here who dislocated her hip and she said the pain was excruciating and she could not bear weight - I only mention this as a guide :) , so if it is just sore, I suspect everything is OK and the reason you are feeling soreness is because of sleeping and perhaps being in one position in bed all night.....

I would definitely contact your OS on Monday and suggest that you would like some x-rays because the main thing is that you are going to worry or be concerned with any little twinge.. but that would be my approach..

Jo is off for a week so there is no point in me tagging her, but I will tag Jamie, Jaycey and Judy because they will be in your time zone.. Jamie; Jaycey; bottomshollow;

I will be praying for you... rest, elevate, ice and meds... sending big, big hugs and lots of prayers
 
Well it will take more than a fall to dislocate anything. But I do remember my first fall post-op and I ached for days. Especially if you were caught off guard and landed hard.

Rest is prescribed. Ice if there are very sore areas and certainly something for the pain. It may take a few days for things to settle. Please keep us updated!
 
Certainly can't improve on what Jaycey has said. We just have to remember that the older we are, the harder we seem to fall and the longer it takes to get over the aches and pains (RATS!)
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
Just an uncomfortable fact of life. As always, ice is our best friend.
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
Take care and keep us posted.
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
 
Oh, thank you Sis, Jaycey and Judy,

Your caring posts make me feel better already. I can walk and weight bear just fine. I just looked and have a small bruise on my L buttock just a few inches back from my hip and that is the sorest spot today. Ice helps and I will take tylenol or tramadol as needed. Probably will call OS and get an x-ray tomorrow for peace of mind.
Judy, know what you mean about our "age" and I was caught completely off guard and went down hard!
Jaycey, I know, I was hoping to not be sore for days but I can be so unrealistic!

The best news is you know how you just feel everything is OK (or not) and I really feel I will be OK.
 
Too bad about the fall--I'm sure it was very frightening! But, good news that it sounds like you are OK--I'm sure the surgeon's office would take it much more seriously if they thought something bad had happened--SOS is great that way; I've never known them to "blow off" something that was likely a problem; they are quite responsible and attentive to patients.

Considering how long it's been since your last surgery, your bone has probably grown into the prosthesis pretty solidly by now so it can handle some banging around more than it could have, say, 6 months ago. Falling in any way, shape, for form is scary, though. Something I worry about all the time. Having hip replacements makes us feel very vulnerable.

Stay safe and I hope the injured areas recover quickly.

Dorothy
 
Oh! Ouch! Im glad your ok, even though it will be sore for quite a few days. I had my first fall about 7 mths after my 1st THR, right on that same hip-on a huge rock while hiking! I was for sure sore for quite a few days and also a little nervous that everything was going to be ok with my new hip but it all turned out just fine.

I think if you are weight bearing all right, then its just everything surrounding the area complaining.
 
I hope by now you are starting to feel a little better. By all means see your surgeon if you are at all worried. You need to have peace of mind. But I can tell you that I'm sure you're probably just fine. That new hip is tough and it takes more than a tumble like you took to create problems with the implant. But.....BUT.....you have tons of soft tissues in there that CAN become very unhappy that you pounded them a little. They will let you know it for a while. Keep up with the Tylenol and ice for a while. Don't be surprised if some parts hurt for a couple of weeks, if it was a really hard fall.

I took a tumble on my TKR knee and bruised the bone last fall. Even knowing better, I still worried about it because it hurt for three weeks! So...stay cool and calm and let your body heal (where have you heard THAT before :heehee: ???)
 
Oh, thanks everyone, so much for the caring thoughts. Dorothy, nothing will keep me from meeting you for lunch. I'm so looking forward to it!
Haldox, so good to hear from you and I'm sure I will be sore but OK. You landed on a ROCK and are OK, my linoleum was a little softer!
Jamie, I will heed your advice and give it time, got plenty of that! The ice is my best friend today...
 
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
with ice when you're a BoneSmartie. Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts your way. Take care, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
 
Good morning Sis (6 am Mon) here...

Poppet says she is very pleased that you are feeling better. As soon as I read that you could weight bear I too was happier.

Rest well honey, I am about to start the work morning rush....

Ice and rest, we will be thinking of you :) xx
 
Hi Diane
Sorry to hear about your fall - I have had a weak ankle since my teens and am forever falling over and spraining it so am panicking that once I am off the crutches I might have a fall - so good to know that althogh you are sore (hugs) nothing awful happened x
 
A fall, Rats thats not good.:scary: Ok .Take a deep breath and now pull out you list of things not to do. :shocked: Cross of the fall. You have now done it and you do not need to do it again.:headbang: I'm glad you are ok. Ice, Relax, Breath, Take care. When I fell the first time I cried for a while. Its so scary. But you will be ok. We are older but we also bounce back. :heehee: Hope you aren't too sore. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom