THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic news on regaining feeling :yes!: as Cardie said, you must be thrilled. That truly is something worth celebrating. Good for you on getting out of town. Hope you have a great visit? Besides the visit, sometimes it is nice to get out of our routine and put our attention elsewhere.
 
dianemarie;

Hi Sis

Just noticed you are online - how was your trip and visit with your daughter... Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Much love and big hugs
 
Hi Sis! and everybody...got home from my daughters today. Had a lovely time catching up with her but the visit was different. Parts were hard as she has an upstairs apartment and I had a difficult time with the stairs. They are quite steep and there is a landing. Going up part way the handrail was on the side I needed it to be. but the other part had the handrail on the other side, so it was difficult and a little scary. Going down the same thing and the landing of each stair was quite narrow. so a couple days we stayed in, instead of going out but that was OK. I also had a very hard time getting in and out of her bathtub. I have a walk in shower at home. Not used to stepping up so high to get in and out. Kim helped me but I again felt very unstable as there was nothing to hang on to. I am so used to having my grab bars to help stabilize me in the shower also. But alas I survived and it was refreshing to have a change of pace and scenery. My hips did great on the drive, no stiffness at all! I stopped when I needed to and thought I should but the drive was awesome!

Interestingly, I cried a lot during the visit. I haven't been anywhere in over a year and maybe felt emotional about that? Don't know, just would start crying for no reason and don't know why. I have felt emotional the past 2-3 weeks and am trying to figure out what it's all about but to no avail.

My ankle gave me the most angst and I am going to call the dr. Tues. and find out about the cortisone shot and see if it will help. Will catch up more later. Want to catch up some on posts. So sorry to hear you hurt yourself on the escalator. I know what you mean about doing anything new or different. It is still slow going. The snail is my new friend. Turtles go too fast. LOL.
 
Aaaw! Sis,

You and I are on the same time frame with our surgeries and our emotional states.. I so get how you are feeling... Feel just the same actually..

I put it down to 'where am I at' with my recovery.. And when I worked out my personal expectation formula, I realized, I was only 50% recovered.

And these little "gotcha events" we seem to have.. Like your experience with the stairs, the emotion of 'wow!' it's been a year since you have been away.. they are all tough times and unforgiving moments for us.. what is the answer....

I have given up trying to find the answer, my "gotcha events" are all too frequent lately.. The more mobile and and active I become the more vulnerable I feel during these times..

Hang in there hon, you have just achieved a major milestone... You successfully drove to visit your daughter... That is huge!

p.s. good luck with the Doc :)

Sending much love and big ((( hugs )))
 
Hi Diane, I think you were very brave to take the trip to your daughter's and deal with all the what if's involved. Applaud yourself for doing that!!!

I was reading the description of the stairs ... and showering without grab bars??? I felt fear just thinking about it! Although I feel like I'm improving, things like that would be pretty hairy at this time. But, wow! You did what was needed, took precautions to keep yourself safe, and ... you did it!!!!! I remember the first time I drove a fair distance (you may remember the "find a shelter spot for Dirty Harry, my friend's naughty stray cat" adventure). My friend needed some help, and I drove MUCH further that day than I would have if there hadn't been a need to do so. I was safe doing it, it was a bit difficult, but I did it! And, it opened up new possibilities for me because I then new what I was capable of. So, now when you go to a restaurant that has their only restroom on a different floor and their stairs are a little scary looking, you will think back and say "Hey, I did the ones at Kim's, and I can do these too." (Of course, only if they really ARE safe.)

The emotional stuff--I hear you! Seems like every time I go outside my comfort zone, there is the emotional stuff that goes along with it. The hip replacement recovery, particularly when there is an added element of difficulty as you have with the nerve damage and the ankle, goes up and down ... and all around! I've found I get feeling depressed or anxious without a clue why ... and then it settles down again. It could be just the process of healing inside and out--I found the hip replacement process to be life changing in several ways, not just the relief of pain. I don't even know how to describe it, but I feel like it's presented me with challenges and realization of how fragile life can be in regard to mobility. It's been such a lesson in patience and perserverance (sp??) You've gone through another big stage in your recovery--preparing for and going on your first big outing away from home. That is HUGE!!! Again, give yourself a huge dose of credit for bravery and courage!!!

Now you are back home, in the familiar environment ... snuggle up with your favorite blanket on these increasingly chilly nights. Remind yourself how brave you were for taking the trip ... and that it was scary but successful.

And, also good luck with getting some relief from the ankle pain.

Dorothy
 
Hi!

Two nights sleep in my own bed and I am so back in my comfort zone. I realized after reading the supporting posts that I did cry because I was out of my comfort zone on so many levels. It was not a sad cry but almost just like breathing, just crying and tears. Very cathartic in a way.

Going back to PT Tuesday and looking forward to more strength building. I am using the cane less and "losing" it around the house and finding myself in a different room and realized I didn't use it. This is very encouraging to me.

I would have started school last Wed. and am very happy to be retired. It is beginning to sink in and I am loving it. I also realize I could not have returned to my job (physically) so this was a good move for me and I try not to think of it as forced.

I will be checking out the shot of cortisone for my ankle and will also be making an appointment with a rheumatologist to get my arthritis checked out. Something hurts everyday, hands, knee, ankles, etc. and I want to see where I am at and also get tested for RA even my OS thinks I should do that. Then I can see exactly what type of arthritis I have and begin to look into the best way to manage it. I think it is all osteoarthritis but want to be sure and having one person follow me will help me I think.

My daughter still does not understand why I am not further along but I just need to let that go and know that I know where I am at (thank goodness for that) and get support here or wherever I can. She tries but I also think she does not like to think that I am not OK. It has been just the two of us since she was 2 and we are very close and she wants everything to be OK.

Hope all are enjoying the Labor Day weekend and these beautiful days.
 
Diane, I have the same thing with my daughter. She thinks I should be doing whole bunch of things. Why aren't I driving more, walking, hiking etc. I think that we were taught to show our chrildren we could anything. as we got only we relized that we are more important so going slower is ok. In fact that is the way to do it. I think I remember you had lots of trouble with one of you feet. When did you have the new inserts made? Also didn't you get new shoes, when? It has been three months from my knee and I am having foot problem and I'm sure shoe and inserts wrong. I don't want to do it two soon. Other than that it been a ruff week. My doctor has put me anti-depresent because of my friend. Its really ripping me up. She needed a hip replacement real bad and now I don't see how it can happen. So she will not get out of physical pain. I need let go and let God. I do hope the weekend will be fun. The fact that you got to drive a distance retuning to a normal life has happen or you are almost on top of the hill. Don't forget to stop and enjoy the view. :puppysmooze:Trashia :bicycle2: trying to get back on :bicycle1:
 
Hi Diane. Great to hear you enjoyed your trip to see Kim, and that your hips held up for the drive. I know some things were a challenge for you but hey, you did it and that will make you feel so proud. It's lovely to have happy memories to look back on isn't it :)

It sounds like things are looking up, being able to get around the house without your cane is fab.

Hope you can get more info on the cortisone shot, if it can help with the pain it will be well worth considering. Oh and I am glad you are relishing in your retirement :)

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hey there, congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone. Each time we do it, the comfort zone gets larger. Hooray for you, even if you had a little emotional backlash. You know it is not just daughters who think we should be farther. At least for me, I get the feeling (I could be wrong) that people think I should be totally done with the cane by now. Well HELLOOOOO, if I could, don'tcha think I would? Even I think it is weird that I can ride 10 miles on my bike, but if I am going to park it and take a walk, I bring my cane in my back pack. Just shows how different every recovery is, yet other people don't get that. You are where you are. My doctor did say to me this surgery is a really big deal. Eventually you will get your life back but you need to be ready, this is big. I just did not get HOW big. ...and in how many ways it changes things. I surely was not ready for the emotional ride it has been for me.

Just remember it is not the end. You are still on the road to where you are going physically and emotionally and you will get there. I sent this little diddly to friend of mine the other day and it is true for all of us on our journeys (male or female).

She wasn't where she had been.
She wasn't where she was going,
...but she was on her way

You are on your way honey and don't you forget it :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Diane,

How awesome that you made the trip to your daughter's house -- I hope that you'll be up for another one, maybe in the spring months when you are stronger still and the weather is nice again. Of course your daughter wants you to be further along -- it's hard for daughters to see their precious moms struggle with any type of health issue...

Glad that you are feeling the retirement choice was the right one to make and hoping that PT continues to be helpful and the cane spends more time "hiding" from you... :) And you know, the snail covers a lot of ground with it's even, deliberate pace.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Diane, people who should know better express surprise when I say I still have pain and have to use my cane some of the time, after three months. I'm not sure they understand exactly what was done to us!! And if we're not as far along as they (or we) think we should be, like Cathy says, it's not from lack of trying! And now, this week, she is inspiring me to get the heck back on my bike. I just wish I had more level places to bike around my house. Santa Cruz is a bit on the hilly side in my neighborhood. And by the way, congrats on your retirement! I'm heading to that milestone next July.
 
Going thru this really teaches patience. Some times I fall of the patience bike but I do get back on. I think what is so cool is there is a place we can come and everyone here understands the pain and the struggles that we do. We don't say all the why can't or why are you still using a cane? We all understand. What a wonderful gift. And the coolest is from people from all around the world. If this hadn't happen we would not know each other so in a way we were given a wonderful gift for our brave spirit wanting to be free of pain and walk again. I hope you had a good weekend and having a good week. Take care and do have fun.:puppysmooze: Tashia :bicycle1: up and riding again WOW.
 
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Just what I needed! Spring sounds about right Cardie for venturing out again. I will be more healed by then and it will go smother. Debcakes, that is for sure, it's NOT for lack of trying! All the best with your retirement, you will love it. And Ann, yes, what a wonderful feeling to think "hey, I did it!"

Having some "tingling" sensation in the front of my L thigh since I fell. My PT thinks it is from my back, from a disc. Going to take it easy today. I will have shot of cortisone in my R ankle Sept. 17. Hoping it will work to give some relief.

I had a good conversation with my daughter today and told her I need her support. She wants me to be OK and I said that I am but we need to hang in there for a while with how things are.

My next step is to find a rheumatologist to get this arthritis diagnosed and go from there. there are several groups near me but I would like to get a recommendation from someone to know which is the best. Back to bed for me. sleep tight everyone.
 
Hi Sis

Sorry about the tingling sensation in your thigh.. Do hope that improves for your soon. Also having the injection in your R ankle, do you think that will help.. I guess we favour different parts of our bodies when one bit is hurting. Must admit, I often get up from my desk at work and think, 'how come my knee is hurting, I have only been sitting'.. It walks out usually. But I do think recovery is slow, it sure tests our patience though.

I am pleased you had the 'mother/daughter chat'. You do need her support. It's hard for people to understand though, I agree.. That's why the forum is so good, because we all understand.. Good days, then bad days.. Recovery is not consistent that is for sure.

It will be good for you to see a specialist and sort out where you are with your arthritis. It is such an insidious disease, comes galloping on us and moves around the body all the time.. Very frustrating - I can relate!

Take care, sending hugs xx
 
Diane, I hope you are feeling better. I hope your arthritis is taking a long nap, like twenty years. Wouldn't be nice if we could put such thing asleep. Well got to go. Good night. Take a easy tomarrow. Love Tashia:puppysmooze::bicycle1:
 
:iagree: I hope all is well. I am getting ready to get out of my comfort Zone and it is so surprising how it effect you mentally. You are doing great. Take care and have a good week. :puppysmooze: Tashia :bicycle1:
 
Hi Diane, just checking in to see how you are doing and how your ankle injection was. Missed you at lunch. Next time ...

Dorothy
 
I had the coritsone injection Monday and as far as I can tell it went well. The area was very sore yesterday but took some tylenol and iced and it felt better. It can take up to a week to work fully but it seems better. Time will tell. Also got a script for a custom AFO brace. Don't need it yet but they recommend I get it so when I do need it I will have it. Anything that will help the pain I'm willing to do. Some issues with my L knee. Saw the PA today at orthopedists and she says I can look forward to a knee replacement in the future. I feel like I am falling apart. But what can one do. No way to stop arthritis.

I did get an appt. with rheumatologist for Dec. 20! They are very busy. I can call from time to time to see about a cancellation. Am hoping for that.

For now taking one day at a time. I try to do everything on the days I feel well and then I pay for it later so am trying to find some balance in my daily routine. Conundrum is that mentally I feel great, just this darned physical stuff! So grateful I could retire as there is no way I could be working now. Trying to stay positive. All of you help with that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom