THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane, Isn't it interesting that after you retired you started making leaps and bonds. Could be that you are no longer stressed out about work or going back? Now your life is yours. Keep up the good work. :puppysmooze:Tashia:SUNsmile:
 
Ah yes! That magic retirement time.. I am sure the stress just drips away - have you found that Sis? big hugs xx
 
Yes, Tash and Sis,

Retirement is wonderful. Every day it is sinking in more and more and the stress is melting away. It takes a while to grasp but I just got my 2nd check and it's like wow I get paid and I don't work any more...I don't have a boss any more, I don't have meetings, deadlines, paperwork, issues, etc. I believe work contributed about 90% of my stress and now I am free to heal, visit friends and family without a time frame, sleep in when I want, enjoy life, etc.

Sis, can't wait till you and John are able to enjoy it. Praying that the new antibiotic works to heal John's body and that he will rest.
 
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
Retirement, aaaah! how wonderful it is-- the don't worry. be happy life. Enjoy and heal--you worked long and hard for it.
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
 
Yes Retirement is great. Sometimes thru I do get bored. My so tired of working on full recover. Yes you do have to step back so you can see the sucess you have made. Keep it up. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
I think I would prefer retirement over working any day... Tough gig these days!
 
Hi Diane,

Retirement sounds wonderful and I'm so glad you are enjoying it!!!!!! Well deserved.

We still need to get together some day. Now that your hip is working better, and I have my last one replaced ... maybe we can finally fit in a get together soon. I have to go to Syracuse for appointments a couple of times in August. Hopefully I will be able to drive myself to them and we can meet then?????? We'll talk more.

Dorothy
 
You'll have to post a NY Hippie picture of the two of you if you get together!! :)
 
Oh Diane,
That is SO WONDERFUL about your retirement! The gift of non-stress time is such a blessing and for sure, your healing will progress even more! It is also a beautiful stage in life that gives you the opportunity to explore the inner self more...as well as all those incredibly wonderful outer delights!

That is also great news about taking steps without the cane-wonderful!

Yeah, I hear you about families and friends getting tired about the process and I, too, feel so grateful to have this forum to share these details.

Hope every day brings you a new joy, whether increased strength in your hip...the smile of a friend...a succulent piece of summer fruit...the crickets song...a soft breath...

Warmest,
Elle
 
Hi Sis

Just popped by to say hello and send you hugs :)
 
How are you doing? Just thought I would drop by and say HI. Take care and keep up the no stress life. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hi everyone,

Hanging in there...overall doing well. PT is going so well. I am feeling stronger and able to do more each session. Still using the cane but some times it is as much for the ankle as the hip. I know the day will come when I can walk unaided. We are going to look at my gait Tuesday and see if I need to make adjustments, etc. to get better practice for walking without cane. It's still going to take some time.

Have been feeling a little blue and teary lately. Maybe because I am getting older, birthday coming up and they just aren't as much fun as they used to be! LOL. Nerve issues continue to improve but not at even tortoise pace, more like the snail. I am so thankful for the site because I feel somewhat abandoned by friends and family as I don't share with them any more (other than my daughter). It's not their fault, but sometimes one still feels very alone.

Yesterday I sat, a lot, and today I feel very stiff so will get more movement in today. It is easy on PT days but on the other days I am not as motivated by myself but I do feel better the more I move. Have gained some weight back and discouraged about that but I know I can do it just need to get started.

Retirement part is awesome. Although being a teacher I had the summers off so I will really feel the benefits come September. Take care and happy healing.
 
Hi Diane, thanks for popping over to my thread and for your kind words.x.

I'm pleased you are enjoying your retirement but sorry to hear you have been feeling blue. I try not to worry about getting older, after all, it's better than the alternative :umm: :)

It's good to hear that your nerve issues are improving but that must be very frustrating for you taking so long, hopefully, given time, it will all be good. I don't remember reading you have ankle problems,I must have missed that bit I can certainly empathise with you on that one now I am having problems, it does affect our recovery somewhat as the pain affects our gait.

I hope you manage to find your motivation again for home PT, it is quite easy at first to get stuck in but as the weeks and months go by we have to try and be very disciplined to feel like doing it so I can see where you are coming from with that one.

Good luck with the practise walking without the cane...you will get there in the end and I hope you have a lovely birthday, you deserve it.

Take care

Ann
Xxx
 
Hi Sis

Very early (4:30am) Mon am, just sitting up in bed and jumped online hoping to see an update from you. I can always tell when you are blue... gosh we are so alike... We post on other members threads, but not on our own. For me it is because I don't want to sound negative and yet I have nothing positive to report....... so......

To my darling adopted Sister

We post when we are down, let us be there for each other, no matter how often! No matter what.
We post a little milestone achievement every day to each other - even if it is 'I got out of bed today' :)
We celebrate our birthdays - another one without pain :) or Wahooo! I am still above ground
We feel sad for those friends who don't understand - they may walk in our shoes one day
We walk tall, knowing that we have the support of thousands of BoneSmarties who do understand and care - very much xx and even when we are 100+ we only need our fingers to turn the PC on, logon on and suddenly we are amongst these thousands of friends...

Some members will move on and that is good for them because life is leading them now, not their THR.....BUT......

We will always have each other.

This is winging your way with so much love, hugs, caring and support.

Your Sis

Happy, happy birthday :)

dianemarie;
 
Hi Diane, Sorry to hear you are going through a blue time, but I hear you--I'm going through some of that myself, and then I feel guilty because things are going well for me and in reality, I know there is nothing that should be making me feel this way--I think part of it is just the way things are when going through a rough spot. And,you certainly have had your share of rough spots.

The up side is that you are getting better!!!! You are retired!!!! Two things to be very grateful for.

Birthdays. Strange ... I have a birthday coming up this month and I'm feeling "Oh, big deal ..." too. Maybe it's just part of our growing older and going through some major health issues--other things are more important to us now????

And, I know what you mean about people kind of forgeting about you. Not that I need to be the center of attention ... but people don't seem half as concerned about me with my second hip as the first. I try to not let that bother me ... but I have to say it does. I also made the mistake of going on facebook yesterday to see what all my horse buddy friends are doing this summer ... big mistake--they are doing all sorts of fun things and here I sit recovering from a bummed up hip and it made me feel worse. I have only heard from *one* of my horse club friends this second hip. I do have a strong core group of general friends who do check on me regularly (and I also initiate too and try to be sure I don't make the conversations/visits all about me and my hip); I'm grateful for them, for sure. But there are somel other friends (like my horse buddy friends) that I expected more contact from and it seems like they have forgotten all about me this time around. Sad ... but I'll get through it ... and you will too. But, it does hurt. I feel it too.

Hang in there and keep up the great work with your hip. I think of back at the beginning of your rehab and now ... you have made great gains!

Dorothy
 
Awwww, heartfelt thanks to my BS family...I am teary right now, but from joy from reading these past few posts. Birthday wishes, thank you, caring, thank you, sharing, thank you, I think you get the idea.

Sis, sounds like a plan. Know what you mean about posting. I think Carol feels the same way and I'm going to llok her up right now. Starting now...I moved a lot more today, just gently and slowly but don't feel stiff and I organized my check book. I am a very organized person but in retirement I find I tell myself I can always get to it tomorrow and we know what happens then...but feel much more productive and better physically. How about you?

Dorothy, know exactly what you mean about #2 and people being there. But you are so right, we will get through this and reminders about what is good and progress we have made is so uplifting so thank you and how are you doing today?

Annie, thanks also for the gentle encouragement! That is the kind I respond to. Means a lot to me and others you support.

And Judy, love the birthday wishes. Made me smile and when we are smiling it's hard to feel blue.
 
Hi Diane,

I wanted to say how touched I was by your post. It hard when the healing process stalls out to be patient, especially when you want to get back to your life. :SUNsmile:

Friends do have a way of pulling back once they know you're doing well enough. About week 4, I got fewer calls and visits and then less with every week. There were some that never called or visited; I tried to understand they have their own busy life, but it was disappointing. :sigh: I don't have family, so like Dorothy, I would send out texts and Facebook messages, plotted strategically so I would have at least one point of contact a day. Sometimes it was just the delivery person, but I knew how important it was that I spoke with a human being. That's when I really got blue, being by myself much of the time wasn't good for me. Thank goodness I had BS as I don't have a sole in my life who has had major surgery let alone a hip replacement.

Thank you for your kind words on my thread. I wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and am sending wishes of healing and hope to you during your recovery. Happy upcoming birthday as well, I know that sun and fun are on your way.

broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS
 
Hi Diane,
Really just want to echo some of what others are saying. I have experienced the the thing with friends, it is not that they don't care, just hard for people to really know what we are going through, especially as we start making progress. They just assume we are continually getting better. Sometimes I tell my own partner, who is fabulous and very supportive " when is the last time you actually asked me how I am feeling physically, or how my PT is going" ? Then i usally have a good cry, which is really what i needed in the first place haha. It is human nature, so I hope you don't take it personally. As a friend of mine always says "people are just so peoplish"

Also have experienced the b.d. thing. I am 57, and sometimes I feel like no big deal and it feels fine, and other times I will plan something and feel like celebrating, and sometimes I feel a little lonely or melencholy around that time and am not sure why. I usually just have to roll with it.

The motivation for home PT is a waxing and waning endeavor. Let's face it, it is a long "butt" haul [Bonesmart.org] New lease on life and I would guess we all go through that at one point or another. Please don't even get me started on the weight thing. A few years ago I lost 70 lbs, was in the best shape I had been in for years and then I tore my rotator cuff, had surgery and gained some back, then fell down the stairs and tore my meniscus, had surgery, which is what started this whole "hip thing", and put on some more. So that is still what I look like in the kayak, but with a little extra poundage for sure and I feel like I am just banging my head against the wall when I try to get it off. :headbang: All in due time my dear, that is what I say to myself and I will say to you, all in due time. Hard to have so many emotions going on and get that under control too. It will come off the more active we get, because the more active, the more happy, the more happy, the easier it is to be motivated etc etc.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement you've given me ( and obviously others) and I hope you are able to take in what people are trying to give back. I am sending a smile and a wish for a happy day. :yes:
 
In reading the posts, we all have something in common and that is friends disappear. I was taught as a kid that you will have life long friends but you know life gets in the way. You also marry and move. Moving is the ruffest on friendships. Also your life changes. But friends are worth keeping. The reason I like it here at this site, is no matter where we are we can post. Everyone take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom