Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee!! New Me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helenefm

junior member
Joined
May 3, 2014
Messages
44
Age
77
Location
Ohio
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
I did it!! Came home yesterday afternoon. Pain was terrible the first 3 days but better now. Not too sure which drugs work best. I take Tramadol and Norco if I need anything stronger. Any words of wisdom about these drugs?
 
Welcome to the other side @Helenefm ! @Josephine is the best person to advise you on your medication. The first few days can be challeging while you are working to get that pain management cocktail right. I'll leave you your official recovery threads so you can refer back to them:
First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Super! Welcome!

I use Tramadol only with Tylenol, but I'm much further along than you are.
 
Congratulations on your new knee, it will be painful for a while, but you will one day be really glad you had it done. I found that a combination of Tramadol & Paracetamol - UK , I think that's Tylenol over in USA, worked really well. Do come back with any questions we can help with.
 
I've been wondering when we'd see a post from you. Congrats on making it to the other side! I have been taking tramadol for several months now. MY OS started me on it last fall when we decided to do the surgery. I am now still usiing it post op. It does a good job of taking the edge off for me. I'm not familiar with Norco. Good to hear from you.
 
Thanks everyone! You have all been so helpful! I am doing pretty good so far. No great pains only if I turn or move too quickly. I am doing ok with meds, elevating is a bit harder as my dogs jump all over me!
 
I used Tramadol and paracetamol from day one. Ace combo!

Here was my regimen which I followed for around 12 weeks! (in reducing quantities of course!)

[Bonesmart.org] New Knee!!   New Me!!
 
Hello everyone!! Things are going very nicely for me since my LTKR on May 28th!! Just wondering how long you have to wear these annoying ted hose??? Do they bother anyone else? I really don't have much pain except when I do my exercises. Tramadol doesn't do much and I only take the Norco at night. How long do most people take these drugs? Still can not believe I actually did this!!
 
Wow you are off to a great start! After I got used to the hose, I wore them for 6 weeks. I am just now in Tylenol only during the day with oxy at night !


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I keep thinking the hose might cause a blood clot rather than prevent one! I am feeling a bit weird on the Tramadol and Norco. When did you start going out and doing normal things?
 
Define normal? I still don't feel it. I started driving myself at a little less than 3 weeks when I get tired of having people leave work to get me places.
I went to daughters track meet in a wheelchair a week after surgery, lasted 1 hour. Next time I did that I made it through and that was about 3.5 weeks.

The energy drain is real and lasts longer than you think it should


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Guess normal is different for everyone. How great to go to your daughter's track meet! Maybe I am just afraid I might hurt myself... When did you stop using a walker or cane? I have to admit I don't feel very tired during the day.
 
Hi Helenefm. You certainly appear to be one of the lucky ones in your recovery! Good for you! I only wore my TEDs for 2 weeks. As long as you're up and about a tiny bit every few hours, you don't really need to worry about the blood clots (or so my OS said). I am almost 6 months out and I just now have been able to stop all pain meds aside from Tylenol. I can't believe you're not feeling pain so shortly after. I'm totally jealous! I started driving @3 weeks, but only to PT and back and I would never last more than an hour or so. The 1st time I actually 'went out' to do anything other than PT or to the store was 6 weeks out and that was a big deal for me. ;-) I was till using crutches at that point and traveled with ice packs everywhere! I used my walker for about 3 weeks, and longer only at home, especially in the mornings, before progressing to a cane which I sadly had to use for a couple of months. The rule of thumb is to not move on to a lesser device until you can walk 'properly' with no limp using the current device. Meaning, until you can walk 'heal - toe' using the walker without a limp, don't downgrade to a cane.

I've had one of the tougher/longer recoveries, but I'm getting there. Please be sure not to overdo it. Even though you're not feeling much pain and aren't tired during the day now, you have just been through a hugely traumatic surgery that your body needs time to heal from....
 
It will be just my luck to have a total relapse and end up back in the hospital!!! I am really going to watch out and slow down. Thanks so much to all for the good advice!
 
Welcome to Bonesmart, Glad you are having an uneventful recovery. I hate TED hose and refused to wear them, but that is just me, my OS did not require them.
Here is a link to some helpful articles, be sure to read all of them, they are not long and contain important information for recovery.
TKR recovery article compilation
Most importantly follow the Mantra, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on Schedule.
All the best keep us posted on your recovery.
 
I keep thinking the hose might cause a blood clot rather than prevent one!
I dumped mine on day 4! They were so tight I felt they'd be more of a hazard than otherwise/

However, since you are only 2½ weeks out, I do suggest you use more caution in your activities.
 
I also merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery. Thank you so much.

And since you are only 2½ weeks out, I suggest you go back and read the recovery articles that were posted for you in post #2. Specially the one on activity progression!
 
I was never given these hose. While in the hospital I would have wraps that would inflate and deflate, one on the foot of my surgical leg and one on the calf of my other leg
 
Sorry, Josephine. I think my limited computer skills and the drugs are making me a bit off!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom