Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee for Mike

Well certainly no one can argue with your success. I'm really glad to hear this has worked out so well for you. All this just proves that "research" can take many forms and even the best research in the world sometimes doesn't beat first hand recommendations. So, good for you for finding the right surgeon to do a great job for you. They are out there!
 
Thanks @Jamie

Just trying to share my experiences good or bad for others. So far so good.

Off to PT this AM and to the office for a couple hours.
 
Day 16- begin regular PT my range of motion was 93 and 17. For some reason my extension has decreased just a bit. Otherwise I do enjoy and look forward to the rehab process. Nothing better than seeing the weekly improvement.

Sleep is about the same maybe slightly better.
 
Mike, it's still very early days for your knee in this year-long recovery. It's not unusual for your ROM to go backwards now and then. Possibly your knee was a little more swollen internally?

There's no need to rush to get good ROM, because it can continue to increase for a year, or more, after a TKR.
That's why I think it's not a good idea to have ROM measured at every PT visit - it just causes worry about the normal ups and downs. Measuring once every couple of weeks is sufficient.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Remember that this recovery is a rollercoaster ride. I found myself doing more than I should on the days I felt better, then paid for it the next couple of days with swelling and stiffness. Your extension will come. I held on to my walker and did long strides to help decrease mine. It worked, but slowly, because swelling would come back making it seem like I was worse off. But, after a few days of resting, the extension would be down! I think swelling is the biggest holdup of ROM. Controlling that will give you better results and less stiffness.
 
Day 18... I now ice and use an H-wave machine at least two times a day. This is awesome treatment! I rather my help symptoms through rehabilitative means, rather than masking symptoms or clouding the senses.I believe this is the way to do it. I'm completely off any meds. ( I have not taken any narcotics) I now walk with no assisting device, no brace. Slow but I do walk. Working about 25 to 30 hours a week and feel great.

Just two serious treatments a day while icing and elevating is remarkable.

Sleep has slowly begin to return to normal.
 
What a wonderful recovery you are having!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New Knee for Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos. I made them a little smaller so the resolution was a bit better and people don't have to scroll to see them.
 
Well figured I try to get back behind the drum kit tonight. Well that didn't work out so well. Gonna be some time before I can play again.
 
Oh boy, I can understand why! You'll get there. It's just another one of your goals. When you meet one, even a small one, it's celebration time!
 
@mikebob your recovery sounds wonderful. I had a partial 3/22 and except for the PT from h.... I'm exceeding my recovery expectations, too.
Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Four weeks down and my experience so far,

Sleep is still tough. However, it is better than week two and three.
Pain and stiffness is mostly at night, probably due to my work during the day.
I'm now working full time. Been at about half time thru week three.
I do a rigorous Kaatsu (reduced blood flow) PT session two times a week. I try to duplicate it at least two to three times a week at home.
I ice at least three times a day, typically midday thru the afternoon prior to sleep. Sometimes I ice in the middle of the night if the pain is bad. I find that 20 to 40 minutes of icing almost eliminates my pain.
No pain meds!
Walking well but slow.
0° extension and 115° flex.
Been driving since week 2.5. I can only drive my big pickup. Cannot fit in the Porsche yet and I suspect not for a while.
I have the normal tightness and stiffness, it seems to be less the more active I get.
 
It sounds like you are having a wonderful recovery. What is Kaatsu PT? I've never heard of it.
 
KAATSU is where they place tourniquets around your thighs restricting blood flow. While these are placed you continue to do a rigorous workout for about 30 to 40 miniutes. The idea is the muscle fatigues faster thus building muscle faster. The science is very interesting for sure. Probably best to Google it. I do know it's been around for awhile and these techniques have been used in sports medicine to help athletes return to the field much faster.
 
Wow, that sounds scary to me. I will have to google it and see if I can learn more. Thank you for the info.
 
@mikebob - I don't think it's wise to use KAATSU so early in your recovery. It may strengthen your muscles, but what damage is it doing to your healing knee tissues? They need that blood flow, so they can repair themselves, and nothing you can do will speed up the repair process. Also, a vigorous workout is too much for your newly-wounded knee.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom