TKR New Knee for Mike

Certainly if you don't attend PT or only put little effort forward the results may be the same however occur over a longer duration.
The results are not necessarily slower, Mike. In fact, many people who overdo their exercises find that their recovery is slowed down because the overwork has inflamed their soft tissues. You were fortunate to avoid that.
I think it's no surprise that the sooner one is off narcotics the better. My logic was just don't take them. I realize this is not for everyone. Just reporting what worked for me and possibly help someone else.
Most people have a genuine, valid reason for taking narcotics after a knee replacement, which is one of the most traumatic surgeries you could have. Pain not managed properly can lead to increased swelling and stiffness, which can slow down a recovery. This article explains:
Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
 
Mike, it does seem like you've had a great surgery and recovery. I hope you understand that we need to continue to stress what you have stated that your approach is not for everyone. You would be surprised at how many people coming along later can read over your comments about this being a different way to recover and not necessarily one that works across the board, and come away with the idea that no pain medication and lots of aggressive exercise will get anyone back to work in weeks instead of months.

So please don't take offense that we offer some counters to your descriptions of your recovery. We congratulate you for what worked for you, but need to ensure that no one gets the idea this is the best way for a person to recover from a TKR.
 
Jamie point taken....hey you guys are the experts. And i do appreciate the wisdom you have to share. I was only sharing my experiences. An individual has to read this stuff, learn and then be cautious.

Hey my recovery could have went bad. I still would have shared my experiences...of course uncensored.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The results are not necessarily slower, Mike. In fact, many people who overdo their exercises find that their recovery is slowed down because the overwork has inflamed their soft tissues. You were fortunate to avoid that.

Most people have a genuine, valid reason for taking narcotics after a knee replacement, which is one of the most traumatic surgeries you could have. Pain not managed properly can lead to increased swelling and stiffness, which can slow down a recovery. This article explains:
Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart

Agreed that pain must be managed. However this logic is partially financially driven by the insurance companies. My pain was managed perfectly.

If insurance companies would pay for the anesthesiologist to do the ultrasound and place the catheters and prepare a Q-pump one simply does not need any narcotics. This is simply new medicine. With the pump and the OS filling it every three days there is no pain for as long as you have it in. I had mine for 7 days I have heard of others at my rehab go as long as 12 days. This is pain management.

I was able to read, comprehend and be effective because there was no fog.

The insurance companies would rather pay the $10 for the pills versus the Q-pump for $4000.00. Further this allows you to heal faster and begin rehab. Once this practice has been adopted recovery will simply be more efficient. It really comes down to if you want and have the ability to write the check.
 
The Q-pump sounds wonderful. However, it's not widely available yet, so most of us need to manage our pain another way. What is most important is that the pain is manged, one way or another.
 
Based on yours and another members experience, I would love the Q pump for my next surgery. I'm going to ask at my 6w follow,up. Anything to avoid this horrible narcotic nausea.
 
It does seem to be great pain management technology. It's new. It will become more mainstream (and covered by insurance) with time. I think we will see many, many changes in the next decade just like we have in the past 10 years.

Mike, it's nice you could give us a bit of a preview with your experience.
 
@Jennszoo...I belive the Q-pump in only used and placed just prior to surgery and removed at about 7-10 days post op.
 
Standard procedure where I had my PKR done, Golden Jubilee National Hospital (Scotland), is to use an ON-Q Pump during the hospital stay (2-3 days) but remove it before discharge.
 
Mike, I'm having the second knee done in June, so I was going to ask about whether it's available for that. lol. I know I'm too late for this one.
 
@Jennszoo got it! My misunderstanding. For sure ask.

Good luck to you, I would like to hear your experience.

Mike
 
I, too had the "On-Q" system. It was installed in the recovery room. My system was a metered system that the patient could adjust. Another version has an "on demand" button.

The system works like @mikebob has described. I left my setting on default, which was set by the OS. It lasted for 4 days, then I removed it. I was also given pain medication. Not sure why it wasn't refillable as I was almost pain free while using it. I will ask that question next week on my follow up. Could just be the medical plan. I have Kaiser here in Northern California.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my revision surgery 6 weeks ago. My surgeon used both a nerve block and the Qpump and I was under general anesthesia. I went home with the pump. The pump would work automatically but I could give it an extra boost if needed. I never used that. I had my surgery on Monday and the pump ran out and I removed it on Thursday. I had very minimal pain during the time it was in and after it ran out I did take some pain meds for awhile afterward but my pain was extremely well managed.

My surgeon is very big on pain management and I have got to say that has been the very easiest part of my recovery. For that I am extremely thankful!

My nemisis is my swelling and slow ROM recovery. They say it's because of the soft tissue damage done during my revision. Everything recovery wise is delayed because of that.
 
@flyaway79 you are right. Another happy customer!

It's clear that the use of the Q-pump sure limits the recovery pain for the time following surgery.

In the future I hope others whom are having Knee replacement surgery can experience the effect this technology has on our recoveries. Lots of nay sayers here whom are sceptics however they have never experienced the results.
 
Experience is the best teacher, and I've heard nothing but good about the Q pump. It's strange how people can knock things that they haven't even tried. The same goes for the Bonesmart guides on pt and exercise! So many people suffer needlessly because they are sure it won't work and won't ever try it.
 
I had one with my shoulder surgery, it lasted for 3 days post surgery. I took some opiates on an irregular schedule and on the fourth day decided that the discomfort was no worse than the pre-surgery pains and quit all pain medications.

I'm going to ask about it for my Nov. surgery.
 
This technology is a game changer. @Arttie hope you get it in November!

Just for the chance to avoid the narcotics it's well worth it. It further amazes me the folks that are on pain meds months after there procedures.
 
3 months and doing great! I have zero pain 90% of the day. I do have some irritable pain when really pushing hard or a long day. Nothing a little ice and elevation can't fix. Otherwise I have completed my physical therapy and moving around very well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom