TKR New Knee for Mike

Yep, never thought the Lazy Boy would be my best friend.
 
Excellent about the block! I hope I get one! :smile2:
 
Thank you! I will definitely give it a look! Keep up the good work recuperating!
 
Wow! That's amazing! Keep us posted on how it goes. They're threatening to cancel my surgery tomorrow and if they do I may go looking for someone who uses this.
 
I had one of those for my torn biceps repair. It allowed me to stop narcotics about 4 days post surgery. At home, my wife pulled the catheter out when it was deflated.
 
@LRKO Many OS are now using that form of pain control.

Congratulations on your new knee. Let me give you an updated version of our recovery articles so you have them available here.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
It is important in the beginning to let your knee heal. You wouldn't jump into lots of physical activities if you have broken your leg. Consider that 2 bones have been cut, ligaments, muscles and tendons all affected during surgery. You will find the correct balance of activity for you. This recovery is not a linear progression so be ready for ups and downs along the way.
 
I am one that says PT isn't needed. Never have I said to not use your knee. We are not lazy people. We have found a better way for us. We have to take care of ourselves, our homes, yards and pets. We used our knees in our daily lives. I've had 11 surgeries and never just sat on my butt, but didn't take pt either. My body knows how to rehab itself without the agony of PT forcing things on me that my knees weren't ready for. What works for one might not work for another. One thing is sure though, if you overdo, you swell and your ROM goes down. Also, your tissues are already traumatized and need time to heal before working them too much and causing more inflammation. No one on here wants to lead you on the wrong road. We're are here to share our experiences and to try and help.
 
While PT may not be needed, nobody here says that you should do no exercise at all. The exercise you do should be gentle, and should not cause pain. It can be incorporated into your activities of daily living. Walking is the best exercise of all for your knee. Start with short walks and build them up slowly.

Go to PT if you wish and if you like it, but remember that your knee is newly wounded. Don't allow it to be hurt or forced. It needs to heal before you work it hard. Doing too much, too soon, can make your healing soft tissues inflamed and swollen, which could slow down your progress. Find a balance, one that lets you feel you are making progress, but keeps your knee happy.

My surgeon does not allow formal PT for the first month after a TKR. He says that your knee needs that time, to begin its healing journey. That doesn't mean that his patients lie around like logs for a month. We get up to the bathroom and kitchen, make ourselves hot drinks and small snacks, walk around the house and progress to walking around the garden. At 4 weeks post-op, I undertook a 6-hour car journey, although not as a driver. I negotiated stairs and steps at my cousin's house. When I remembered, I was doing gentle Heel slides and how to do them properly and my ROM was increasing gradually - it was well over 90 degrees by 6 weeks.

I've followed a similar recovery with both my TKRs. My legs are strong and reliable. They straighten fully and bend to over 125 degrees.

I'm getting old, but I'm not a rocking chair granny. With my new knees, I have travelled around the world. I walk through all the airports. In Viet Nam, I have swum at Ha-Long Bay and crawled through the viet cong tunnels at Cu Chi. I've snorkelled in Tahiti and over Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
I've never aspired to be an athlete, but l live a pretty active life.
 
Had a check up by the doc today, drove an hour drive went well. Zero pain and no meds yet except antibiotics. Got 90 on the ROM start thearpy late next week.
 
PolarBear, yes I'm pleased so far. I'm sure there will be a time when i encounter difficulty. Generally I'm very postive and have a great team around me. Plus a rock star doctor helps.
 
Sounds like you are doing well. Are you still using that pain pump? It is possible to have increased pain around the third day after surgery as that is usually when any pain medication used within the incision before closing will wear off. So, just be aware of that possibility.
 
Yep went to the doc yesterday. They filled the On-q nerve block. Feeling well.
 
Interesting how well that is working for you then. Any idea how long you will be wearing the pain device?

Can you give me the name of your surgeon? I'd like to do a little research on him.
 
Dr Arthur Ting he is the Doctor that was involved with the Barry Bonds drama.

I will have it until the end of next week. I also reach out to my sister who is a professor of medicine at UCLA.
 
That is an amazing product. Hopefully more OS start to use them. I'll be interested in how you feel once it is removed.
 
Ya me too. I'm awaiting that day too.

I underatand alot of insurances dont cover them. At least so I heard.
 
So 4 days and about 8 hours since surgery. Feeling great I have had zero pain meds. However, I'm taking 800mg of Ibuprofen at least once a day sometimes twice. I have been religiously icing at least 5 to 7 times a day for at least 90 min. I keep it iced as much as possible. This practice (for me) has always helped with my prevoius knee surgeries.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom