TKR New Knee for Mike

I agree. Ice is a great pain reliever for me. It does help to reduce the swelling as well.
 
I agree that ice is a wonder! It kept me able to take much fewer oxys after the first few weeks! I have ice packs frozen even now just in case I develop some pain. Good luck to you and I hope you continue pain free!
 
Be careful with that high dose of ibuprofen. Make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach as it can cause gastric bleeding.

Ice for me was a major help with pain without any of the side efffects.
 
Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep up whatever you are doing! I'm taking notes on what to do!
 
Ha....LRKO not sure if I have any secret. I do have the drive to kind of push thru things. Nonetheless i will keep posting and inform you and others of my progress.
 
From reading your and others posts, I am getting the feeling the ON Q is the key! Don't think my provider uses it but I will ask him during my pre-op with him. Good luck!
 
I also tore my knee playing football back in the 70's. Had my knee replaced almost 7 weeks ago and just starting to feel better. Still have a lot of stiffness that's starting to fade more every day. 3 weeks ago I thought it would never go away. Finally feel good enough to go away for a couple of weeks. Just take it easy for a couple weeks before getting into heavy exercises. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon
 
Thanks Boo!

My biggest problem is sleeping consistently. I'm just not a back sleeper.

Nonetheless less the On-Q dried up Saturday afternoon so I'm not getting any relief from it now. I do go to OS tomorrow and I assume they will remove it. Keep you posted. The 800mg of Ibuprofen works well for me. I firmly believe that if one can stay away from opioid's the better off it is. I do realize it's needed for some and who knows it may be in my future.
 
@mikebob - If you are a side-sleeper, it's OK to try lying on your side, with your operated leg on top. Put a pillow between your legs, so that your operated leg is kept in a comfortable position. It isn't essential to sleep on your back.

The nurses in hospital turned me onto my side for short periods the day after my TKR.
 
@mikebob - If you are a side-sleeper, it's OK to try lying on your side, with your operated leg on top. Put a pillow between your legs, so that your operated leg is kept in a comfortable position. It isn't essential to sleep on your back.

The nurses in hospital turned me onto my side for short periods the day after my TKR.

I tried this it does seem to be the best solution for me. I suspect it will get better in the weeks ahead
 
Mikebob it sounds like your first week has been great. I hope things continue to go well. I wish I had heard about OnQ before my surgeries!
 
@Red's Mom yes, going well.

Just got back from my OS, all is perfect and pain pump has been removed. Actually it went dry Saturday night.

Just little stiffness. Walking around well and moving well. I really attribute this to my Dr and his techniques.

90 degrees is no problem and I think I could get more however it begins to stretch the incision. I can also say it's nice not having staples.

Mike
 
Great news!! You should be their poster surgery!! Congrats on getting the staples out!
 
No staples. My OS has a plastic surgeon with him during surgery. I have this neat 7" line that will heal nicely.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's great that you are feeling well. Don't overdo with PT on the beginning. Just try to add back activities slowly. That will allow your whole body a chance to recover.
 
Sorry Mikebob, I mis-understood! Thought you got them out when you saw the doctor! Wow, that is awesome not to have them at all! I may have to come to your neck of the woods for my next one!! Sounds like you have a wonderful surgeon! :snork:
 
I really attribute this to my Dr and his techniques.
You're absolutely right, Mike! The skill of the surgeon is the most important part of a successful surgery and recovery. It sounds like you have a great one!
 
Day 8 went in to work today for about 5 hours, feel great. Great to see and work with my team.

Will go back in on Thursday when PT begins.
 
Day 10.....got to be honest with everyone. My biggest issue is sleep. It sure does not come easily. I don't have pain, I'm moving around well and feel generally pretty good. Just tired. Being an engineer I have tried numerous pillow setups trying to achieve the best possible solution. So far my ability to engineer a setup has failed.

Well going into to work to rally the team for a few hours.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom