TKR New Knee for Mike

Sleeping is a struggle with a tkr. It seems to be one of the last things to come. Get it whenever you can, morning, afternoon or night. When you sleep your body heals better, so get all you can!
 
Wow you are doing great! I'm having LTKR in a month and I'm loving reading people's positive experiences here. I hope you keep doing and feeling as great as you are! I'm 50 like you and am petrified and this site is helping calm my fears. Best of luck in your continued healing!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mike, you have lots of company with sleep problems. It's so very common. You'll just need a heavy dose of patience because sometimes only time will fix that problem. You have lots to be thankful for, though!
 
I'm happy to hear you are doing well. As Jamie has said sleeping was always the hardest part for me and many other members. If you can take a nap during the day. That way your total sleep time will add up to a full night. You may find it easier to sleep in a recliner right now or a couch.
 
Hi Mike,

I had RTKR on March 7 and ended up sleeping in a recliner for a week or so after I got home. It wasn't perfect, but I could usually manage a couple of two- or three-hour blocks of sleep, but I had to take an oxy before bed and one in the middle of the night. Somewhere along I moved back to my bed, and have been able to sleep a bit on my side with a pillow between my legs. But again, it's only on those shorter blocks of time.

It's definitely a struggle! I will say that it does get easier, bit by bit. Make sure you're not overdoing it during the day so that the knee acts up more than usual at night. That, of course, is a whole other learning curve!
 
Thanks all!

Prior to my TKR on 3-13 I spent a fair amount of time reading memeber experiences. It does seem that sleep loss is a common thread.

Yesterday I went to work for about 7 hours. Felt great to be with my team and collaborate. Now off to a breakfest business meeting and then rest straight for the next three days.
 
I can't believe you are so active on less than a two week old knee! Shoot, I couldn't even stay awake much less work. You are amazing!
 
Way to go! Working and feeling great!
 
@mechellec, I was the same as you. I was terrified as well even though this was surgery number 14 on my knees. I learned a lot and absorbed even more.

Being I'm an Owner of a large engineering firm I could stay home and everything would be ok. However, I'm very driven and perfer to work and manage my business. This drive I have is just how I'm made up.

Hopefully sleep gets better!

Now three days of rest
 
Hi, Mike!
I had RTKR on March 7. Doing real well also. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I've been able to sleep very well, albeit sometimes in small chunks but that is mainly because of my dog needing to be let outside to do her thing. She absolutely doesn't want me to be away from her side. Has been this way since I've first got home from the hospital. I feel that for me the key to sleeping has been my Zero Gravity lounge chair. It seems to elevate my knee just right and along with my ice machine, I've been able to get a lot of good rest. Tried sleeping in bed with pillows but always go back to my chair. And yes, the Oxycontin definitely does its part. If you have one available to you, might be worth a try. Wish you best of Luck and a continued Great recovery.
 
Hi Mike,

Sounds like you are doing great. I had my RTKA 10 days before yours and you seem to be going thru the exact same things I did. Except for the not sleeping thing, I have always slept like a log. I used to live in Santa Cruz and it would drive my wife crazy that I would sleep right through earthquakes.

Unlike you, I didn't have the pump but managed OK with Oxy. My PT is going well, I am pretty much allowed to dictate what I do but I am encouraged to push myself a bit. This seems to work for me since, like you, I am very driven and want to be back on my bike ASAP. I was actually on the stationary bike, during a PT, session a week after surgery. My therapist knew I wanted to get on it so she let me. I couldn't do much even with the seat cranked all the way up but it felt good. I just sat there going back and forth like a pendulum.

My ROM is 0-0-116 less that 3 weeks after surgery and I am happy with this progress. I have not been in pain and my swelling keeps going down. I was given a EMS/TENS gismo by the PT which I use and since I got it I have seemed to progress much quicker. I got it a week ago and I will fire it up every chance I get on the TENS mode and about once a day exercise with it on EMS.

Keep up the awesome progress.
 
Day 13....yesterday I started driving. Wife and I took a ride down to Monterey and back about 40 minutes each way. Felt great. Last night sleep was a little better hopefully it will get better day by day. I think I will see the bike for the first time on Tuesday, I'm guessing my flex is about 105.

I really feel good about this whole deal!! I can do most everything I want to, I'm just slow at it.
 
You're doing well, but keep taking it slowly, Mike. You're progressing a lot faster than most people do, but remember that your knee had major surgery, from which it will take a long time to recover completely. This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.

Do what you can, but ease off any activity that produces pain, stiffness or increased swelling, either at the time, or later.
 
Wow! I didn't drive for seven weeks. Are you already off your pain meds this early? Did you have any problem getting in and out of the car.
 
Hey @sistersinhim I actually never took any narcotics. My surgery was an outpatient and I left that afternoon with a "on-q" nerve block which was removed seven days later. I only occasionally take a 800mg Ibuprofen.

Being that I'm a RTKR getting into the drivers side is actually easier for me. And I'm a big guy 6'-5" and 245 pounds.
 
I can't imagine being off of all prescription meds at 13 days. Your OS must be a miracle worker! When I first drove, I had a hard time getting in and out of the car and I'm only 5'6"! I was OK once in it and had no problem with the brake in case of a needed emergency stop. But, I was afraid someone would part too close to the driver's side door and I wouldn't be able to open the door enough to get in or out. Thank God that never happened.

That nerve block sounds like the way to go. I wasn't on Oxy that long cause it made me sick and goofy. The tramadol did stay around for a couple of months along with Tylenol. I still say that you are amazing! What a wonderful inspiration you are to others on here!
 
Yes @sistersinhim , I'm very jealous of Mike's no pain. :)
You really are way ahead on this healing journey Mike. May you continue to do so well. I'm headed to Idaho for my next knee!
 
@jaschembra for the record I had my surgery in California (Bay area) I live mostly in CA however I spend at least three to four months a year in Idaho. My surgeon is an orthopedic magician. Google Dr. Art Ting
 
You know, when Googling your doctor, he really doesn't look like that great a choice from the information that comes up. I know you've had a wonderful experience with him and that's definitely a plus. I especially am impressed by the pain management program he used with your surgery. But from the Google search, he appears to be primarily a sports medicine doctor. Also, his clinic site indicates he does just about any procedure at all associated with orthopedics. Normally both these things would mean that he doesn't do very many hip or knee replacements each year and we usually advise folks to avoid surgeons who aren't regularly doing knee replacements.

Do you have any idea how many TKRs he does each year? And do you know of any information available that demonstrates his expertise in this area? As I said, I could find nothing on the web about him doing TKRs.
 
The surgery center he belongs too. ( I believe he has Ownership in it) does about 250 to 300 joint replacements a month. The most in the bay area. I do not have any info of his expertise.

I'm lucky to have health professionals in my immediate family which is a great resource. My sister is the vice chair at the David Geffen school of Medicine at UCLA. I was fortunate to have all my MRI's read by her team adding to my decision. I further vetted my OS with them as well.

FYI...my relationship with my OS is beyond just a patient doctor relationship. My company has performed services for them in the past.

Nonetheless my experiences have been great as follows;

Outpatient surgery....in at 10:30am out at 6:00pm.

Zero pain due to the "On-q" system.

I have a neat 7" incision, no staples.

I have had zero narcotics and now on day 15. Ibuprofen only.

PT in house with my doctors group. All controlled by him.

Off crutches at about 8 days and onto cane.

Back to work and driving at day 11

I believe in the sports medicine philosophy of less is more.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom