TKR New Knee for Mike

I'm assuming that you've cleared this type of training at this stage of your recovery with your surgeon, right?
 
My surgeon also has his own physical therapy practice that he directly oversees. In other words all of my PT is under his close watch.
 
I still say it sounds scary. Our new knees need blood to heal. But, if it's working for you, who am I to say anything about it! I am ignorant on the subject and am glad I did it on my own!
 
I understand the practice has been extensively used at USC, Stanford and UCLA. But again I'm an engineer and not a doctor.
 
@mikebob
Reading about your surgery and recovery has been fascinating. The pain treatment method sounds intriguing and something I wish I had an opportunity to use. In my opinion you were able to get around sooner and easier without narcotics.

I haven't had a chance to ask my friend, Mr. Google, about the PT method yet, but I will. PT is not my favorite adventure at the moment.
I use an ice machine for pain relief along with some pain meds. The constant cooling is amazing and after I completely recover from my TKR I'm thinking of all kinds of neat things to use it for. :martini:

Keep updating because your recovery is inspiring and encouraging.
 
Yep @Kayte, I attribute the use of the Q-pump as to my early success. This simple practice allowed me to do things much earlier than the conventional methods I have read about. Also no narcotics. I just can't see loading up on something that masks my pain.

For me PT is awesome I really can't get enough. I have been fighting atrophy prior to my surgery and the way I see it I must exercise it to get it back. I do have significant improvement. I won't kid you, after PT I'm sore and stiff but not where it hurts or I need to medicate. My PT sessions last about 90-120 miniutes with at least a 20 min ice down at the end which is always soothing.

Good luck to you! Now I'm off to work.

Mike
 
Hey all just wanted to update. Today is +40 days from surgery. I'm doing well, moving well and have become quite active the last eight or nine days. The new knee feels solid and secure. I'm still icing at least three times a day to help with swelling and pain. I take nothing more than ibuprofen or Advil PM. Sleep has been better but still needs to develop.

For me the mornings are the best time to be active and mobile. I go to physical therapy twice a week in the AM. The sessions feel great and I can see the improvments. I try to duplicate my therapy twice a day everyday. This effort has clearly been my combat against the atrophy that I have been experiencing in my calf and quads. I also have been doing cryogenic therapy once a week. This is a great experience and the effects are awesome.

I'm completely back to full time work (50 to 60 hours) with no ill effect.

I would say the most difficult thing for me is sleep. I just can't get 6 to 7 hours solid like I used pre-op. I seem to average 3 to 5 hours per night. The issue is this sleep is just not quality sleep.

I hope all fellow Bonesmarters that I have helped or communicated with are doing equally well.
 
Glad to hear you're doing well.

It can take a really long time for your sleep pattern to return to normal. Just try to grab a bit of extra sleep where and when you can.
 
The messed up sleep is a real pain. Once I was able to get on my sides, my was better, but still not great. Yours will improve as time goes on and you'll be back to normal.
 
Well 51 days now and things are getting back to normal. Sleep is much better now. I attribute my success to my drive to exercise everyday. I do push my knee very hard, this drive has clearly worked for me.

I really believe that getting back at life as early as possible is this key to success. I still do a rigorous PT twice a week and then I duplicate it everyday. I'm now on the bike for 45 min to an hour a day. Quad strength is just about 100%

Really pleased that my TKR has worked out. Looking forward to getting back to my very active lifestyle.

Thanks all.
 
Good to hear you're happy with recovery and found a regimen that works for you!
 
You found something that works for you. Good going!
 
Your way has worked for you, Mike, and I'm very glad of that.

For the sake of others, though, I do have to say that your story is not typical. I wouldn't want other people to feel they should copy your regime, or should be doing as well as you, because that could lead to problems or frustration for them. Most of us have a slower recovery.
 
Well I figure I'd start this thread early! 24 hours from now ( cut time is 11:00am pst) I'm going for a total right knee replacement. I have choosen to do this as an outpatient, we will see how this goes. A bit anxious however, this will be the 14th operation I've had on my knees.

My damage first occurred in my late teens thru my efforts playing football at the division one level. Looking back this was when the damaged really occurred that I'm paying for now. Nonetheless the times I'd had were good and the footbal-life experiences I've had are not regrettable.

Now 50 years old and faced with this hopefully life improving event. I spend my days in the outdoors, riding motorcycles, snowmobiles and many outdoor activities that require a good set of knees. Further I have two boys in there early 20's that I try to keep up with. Hopefully the durability of this new product will support this 6'5", 260 pound frame that still wants to be active.

Being an engineer I have read many of the threads to develop a logical understanding of how others have recovered and now I think I'm prepared.

I was somewhat inspired by "Highlander" and his path. His approach was informative and easily understood, something I've enjoyed!

I will do my best to attempt to pass along my experiences for others in the future.

Mike
HI had my left tkr at 61 and i am still cycling walking and swimming motor bike gave up at 60 prefer self propelled now.I have grandkids and still enjoy beating them in sea or pool new knee should not slow you down,my sister had hers done 4 months ago and is walking everywhere now,just go for it.
 
What do you call out patient surgery my sister and i only spent 3 days hospital 1 for op 1 to try knee 1 to try stairs then sent home.
 
Sure. A knee replacement should allow you to continue to be active and do the things you like, but you do need quite a long period of recovery before resuming those activities.

Out patient surgery is when you have the operation and are allowed to go home again on the same day.
 
What do you call out patient surgery my sister and i only spent 3 days hospital 1 for op 1 to try knee 1 to try stairs then sent home.


My outpatient surgery went like this,

Arrived at surgery center at 10am, catheters inserted at 10:45, out at 11:15 and under the knife, out or surgery and woke up in recovery at about 2:45pm, in the car riding home at 5:30, at home resting by 7pm.
 
I went in at 6 for a 7:30 surgery. Awake maybe around 11ish? Left surgery center around 1:30ish. Kinda fuzzy on the times.
 
Your way has worked for you, Mike, and I'm very glad of that.

For the sake of others, though, I do have to say that your story is not typical. I wouldn't want other people to feel they should copy your regime, or should be doing as well as you, because that could lead to problems or frustration for them. Most of us have a slower recovery.


Agreed! I had no idea what I was getting into. My previous surgeries were minor compared to this, actually I was a bit nervous. Just a few days prior to my TKR I found this site a read a lot of stories and was inspired by many. I'm fortunate enough to have many Doctors in my family including my sister whom is a professor of medicine at UCLA. Moreover I have a friendship with my OS. This certainly helps.

I made a commitment to myself that I would push myself in several areas. This included zero narcotics, the truth is I had no more than a total of 4 pills at about the second week. I found that masking pain was not for me and that I would tolerate it. My own sister advised me against this however this was what I wanted. I did find that icing and elevation was curing my pain. Literally icing 5 times a day for at least 60 to 90 minstrel each time this truly solved my pain. I firmly believe that others find that popping a pill is easier. Again I had drive to approach this differently.

When PT begin on week three I was going two days a week. Then I duplicated PT every single day, it has truly paid off as my quad strength is coming in at an awesome pace.

Many folks seem to go to work at about three months. I was at about 2/3 time at week three and now have been at 40-65 hours a week for the last 4 weeks. Again my drive dictated this. I own my own company and employ about 18 people which many are executives. The incentive for me to work and be successful is a huge part of my success and life. Being a business owner in Silicon Valley is competitive to say the least. This requires me to spend about three months of the year in East Idaho where I can enjoy the outdoors and the conservationist lifestyle.

I have heard my whole life that I move to fast, sit and relax or slow down. Just not my nature. This drive I have has made me very successful!

Again my disclosure, I'm an engineer and not a doctor. However, I believe that if you work hard it will pay off. Certainly if you don't attend PT or only put little effort forward the results may be the same however occur over a longer duration. I think it's no surprise that the sooner one is off narcotics the better. My logic was just don't take them. I realize this is not for everyone. Just reporting what worked for me and possibly help someone else.

Talking with my OS he indicated that most of his patients do in fact are recovered in the 7-9 month range with many at about 85% by 4-5 months. But my OS does practice medicine much differently than most on the boards have experienced. Possibly this is insurance driven. I was fortunate not to be bound by what insurance would pay and what they wouldn't.

I hope others are inspired by my progress and success. I was inspired by several "recoveries" here prior to my TKR.

Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom