Guest viewing is limited

THR New here Help<

It’s 4 weeks today since surgery.
Still early days! All this may settle. Your surgeon can measure your LLD on an x-ray. Ask at your next appointment.
Wearing a lift is not the worst thing I guess....it hampers sandal season
Someone on this board recommended Keens sandals when I was wearing a lift. Worked great. If you put a bit of double sided tape on the heel part of the lift it insures you won't lose it.
 
TesJohn... :wowspring:your only just 4 weeks out and walking at first it’s difficult in many cases at first the hip feels or has a perception to feel longer. It takes the brain time to build new paths to align with the new prosthesis. My surgeon had a long name for that memory process to build new pathways in the brain for walking. I can’t remember it. But it is something that is called muscle memory to once the initial recovery time has passed. After time 8-10 weeks out walking will help the body adjust and heal. I found after I could walk with all my weight on my hips and still needed cane for balance that using a rollator walker to improve gate, balance and helped my gate develop so much better than the walker with no wheels. Leaving my old limp and shoes behind. New shoes and arch supports very helpful for impoving walking gate.The rollator walker allows full strides, improves gate, heel to toe and standing straight. It was huge in my recovery .

Measuring LLD is generally done by special X-ray studies can help determine if the perceived difference in leg lengths is really in the bone or from some other source, such as a tilted pelvis, a curvature in the back or tight muscles. These X-rays involve imaging the entire length of both legs with a measuring ruler that leaves no doubt about the actual length of each leg, from the top of the pelvis to the ankle. This can be done with exact measurements once the healing journey has been at least 6-10 months.
Sending healing blessings your way.:angel:
 
@Tesjohn - So glad you’re feeling better. My LTHR was definitely a different healing from the right, more pain for more weeks and longer on the oxy. It was right at the six week mark for the first hip when I started feeling comfortable walking unaided ... I’d considered bring the small walker I’d had at home for the first op to the hospital for the second, and was actually going to carry it in.

Healing is not a straight line, as we discover. I get these occasional shooting pains in the outsides of my thighs lately, and am icing right now in fact :-)

I did gain back half an inch after having both hips done but I agree with the advice about being patient. Your body will adjust, realign itself.

I know physical therapy is not needed for a hip to heal, but personally I liked it. Just had to realize that in the early weeks especially, it was easier to overdo than I thought.
 
@Hippielife and @EL11 as I sit here icing I am reading your responses. I hope in time that it will get better and there may be many reasons for the length difference. I did order new shoes with more support and trying little by little to lengthen my stride. I do not have a rolling walker, which probably may have been best. I am using a cane. I too have shooting pains along the outer and inner thigh so I’m glad you mentioned that, too. Trip to the doctor tomorrow where I hope to get some information. I do have a curvature of the spine and I think my doctor did mention something about my pelvis. So much info you tend to forget to keep it all together. Everyday is a new experience......healing is a difficult process! Yes, it is easy to overdue....I already found out you can really overdue just walking!
 
@EL11 I am just curious. When you went for therapy did they put you on treadmill or bike?
Neither. I had in-home therapy with gentle leg extensions, heel raises etc, sit-to-stand from a chair. At the hospital later it was more of the same but also stretches on a table. Pelvic tilts. Walking at home was just walking, making sure it was heel to toe and as natural as possible...around the house and later down the block. It was not zero degrees outside of course!

They had some small sets of stairs in the out-patient place and I practiced pushing up to the first stair on the operated side, which I could also do at home. Not so many times as to hurt of course. Taking stairs naturally didn’t come for some weeks.

I was just at the gym, where I alternate between elliptical, treadmill, recumbent bike. All doable at this point.
 
Hi Tesjohn! I'm a week behind you, and although I (luckily) didn't have to battle a cold, I have been feeling a bit frustrated sometimes when reading other postings and seeing how quickly some people recover. But the Bonesmart community is pretty unified on one thing: everyone progresses at their own pace. It seems you are doing very well! At 2 weeks I felt like getting out and walking (with my 2-wheeled walker) a lot, and this week I have been in bed most days. It feels like a setback, but I keep re-reading this forum and reminding myself that my body really needs to rest.
About the height difference: I felt like I had an enormous difference, but every day it settles down a bit. Hopefully yours will too.
Stay warm - I hear there is nasty weather headed your way!
 
I’m having home therapy too. Dr suggested last time that I go to outpatient and I declined which is why he has me coming back so soon as opposed to 4 weeks for my second visit. I do not want to go out for therapy. I feel I’m doing what I can and I have my own treadmill and bike when I am ready for it. I am quite good at the stairs, actually. And yes it is sooooo cold and we are getting our share of snow right now! And @EL11 you had both hips done.....yikes!
@Annie19 you hit the nail on the head. And you had both hips done, too.....I feel like a big baby....lol! One day I post that I am doing well and the next day I wonder what I was talking about. It’s a series of ups and downs! I do hope I am like you and the difference in length gets better. I’m going to ask him to check it tomorrow.
My cold is totally gone so that battle, thank heavens, is in the past. But other than going to Dr tomorrow our weather will not permit me to do any outside walking.....ice, snow and cooooold......
Have a good night, all
 
Hi @Tesjohn
You're right, recovery definitely has its ups and downs.
Best of luck at your appointment tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Stay warm!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New here Help<

It is hardly a straight line, for sure.
Ebb and flow...how much is too much.
Stay tuned into your body for the best feedback for when you have overdone activity.
I had to constantly readjust activity.
Hope today is a Good Day!
 
Hi @Tesjohn . I am late to the game here. To quote @Mojo333 , “at 4 weeks I was still a whiny mess!”

And for me....still at five weeks, and six weeks...

I too had a very rough start. I used the walker for weeks and weeks. But time....time healed me. I still have a few teeny bumps in recovery but I have a life again.

Just try to read books, watch stuff, rest, eat nourishing food and drink water.

My friends would tell me “you look so well-rested”. Sure, because that is all I did for months!

Be strong, be strong...and we will strengthen one another!
 
@Tesjohn Please let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow. Go safe in all that snow and ice!
 
@Jaycey my appointment went well. He said he would not even suggest we do anything about the length difference. Too soon. He still feels it will take care of itself. They did not measure as I asked but????? What can I say. I told him I’m concerned about the pain that I feel is the same as before but he says it’s not. I’m too anxious and it’s from the surgery. No x-rays because he just took them two weeks ago. Scar looks good, healing well. I do not have to go to out patient. I can use my treadmill and bike when I am ready but do not over do it. Walking is best! Expect good days and bad days. Don’t be in such a hurry and try not to be so anxious!!!!!!
So, there you have it! I feel reassured for right now, but that doesn’t mean tomorrow I won’t be a nervous wreck again! I am a worry wort!
Weather here is a mess. Driving to Dr was a little hectic....snow squalls and crazy drivers out there! If you are anywhere is this storm region, which seems to be affecting so many, stay safe and warm!
That’s my news for today!
 
I’m glad that your appointment was good. Wonderful that you have a treadmill and bike at home.

Part of the reason I went to out-patient physical therapy after both hips were pretty stable, was to check in with the wonderful PT who urged me to get the surgeries. She was so pleased to see me walking normally and feeling good.

As @lovesstars indicated, it’s early days for you! For me personally, there was a big change at around 6 weeks, but it should get better and better from here on out, whatever your timetable works out to be.
 
I hope I’m not making a mistake. Yes, I have my own equipment but my husband thinks I would do better if I went to a trained therapist for a few times. Maybe he thinks I won’t do well on my own. I figure if I start with a few minutes on the treadmill and work my way forward before I get on the bike. Weather is definitely not conducive to walking outside. Like I said @EL11, you having both hips done so close together...wow, I admire you. You were barely over one before you had the other done. God bless you!
 
Hi @Tesjohn
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Take it slow and easy at PT. Please don't feel pressured to do anything you're uncomfortable with.
If it hurts, STOP. It sounds like you had a nice visit with the OS. Now we just need to get you to relax.
Try not to worry, everything is going well :thumb:
A great Anniversary Thursday to you, tomorrow. :flwrysmile:
 
Send your husband to the forum and let him read what those that have been there done that have to say. The weather right now is your best friend, stay inside and rest. If you want to walk go to a mall or a super store. A large store with a shopping cart for a walker is the absolute best way to walk.
 
I am all for walking for PT but please have the safety stop firmly in your hand when you try your treadmill. I hadn't been 100% weight bearing for months so probably different but I found finding a stride on it a little intimidating and was grateful to have a PT at my side. :treadmill:
 
Walking is best! Expect good days and bad days. Don’t be in such a hurry and try not to be so anxious!!!!!!

This is truly the best advice.:ok:
How about give yourself some more weeks to heal before you introduce any exercise regime?
Your husband probably does wish you had some guidance if he feels you have a desire to "work" yourself into a quicker recovery.
It really isn't helpful...wasn't for me.
Problem is, guided PT isn't always conservative either.
You will get back your strength and mobility in Time.
It is confusing
:umm:but Temporary!
Keep that patience muscle flexed.
:yes:
 
Sounds like you are right on track for one month out. I agree with EL11 - I found a big difference between week 4 and week 6.

Easy does it on the treadmill and bike. Start with no resistance. If you have any discomfort stop and try again another day. You will be just fine without PT.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom