THR New here Help<

:)
Does the chicken cross the road for wing night?:heehee:

@Tesjohn I agree completely that PT can be helpful for some people and situations but not all. I had PT for months when diagnosed with spinal stenosis 2 years ago, and while it helped at first, after that, I felt that they pushed too hard. It didn't seem right that I always felt worse afterward and that they didn't seem to accept when I refused to do a particular exercise (standing on one foot while pushing against a ball). So, I was not disappointed at all when my OS said he was not prescribing PT.
Also agree about stairs--I have 6 stairs to the upstairs bathroom that I go up and down frequently, I also feel that has and continues to strengthen me quite a bit.
Hope things continue to go well for you!

Wow - look how far you have come @Tesjohn ! Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Happy Wednesday @Tesjohn
You sound great! I hope your check up is a good one.
If it's with your OS, let us know how it goes...if you feel like sharing.
All the best to you...have a nice day! :SUNsmile:

Appointment was great today. Guess what....his office is on the second floor.....32 steps. I walked them up and down....that’s how far I have come! I can’t believe it when I looked back at my early posts! And he asked me how I was doing with the PT. (Giggle). I reminded him I did not got for therapy...he was quite impressed with my progress. Said I was doing great and see him in 10 months unless I ran into a problem.

Seriously, I still have that nagging groin pain and stabbing sensation, but he claims this is normal and it should go away soon....just like you all said. I know I am not completely healed, little niggles a lot, but I am not afraid of them any more. The worst is over!

@Josephine says you don’t need PT for hips and you will heal and I’m living proof! Thanks everybody for the shoulders to cry and lean on, the great support you have provided, the advice I got here. I am so glad I happened onto this site!

What wonderful news! Sounds like whatever you are (and aren't) doing is just right! And don't worry if you still get a few new aches and pains along the way---the more active you get, things may pop up. They did for me, but as everyone reassured me, they would go away----and they have! :flwrysmile:

Great news! It's so nice to see you feeling more relaxed about your recovery.
Awesome on the steps too. I'd continue to ice the groin pain when you're sitting around watching tv, or taking a break from your normal daily activity. Please continue to stop by with updates. We love to hear progress reports as do those following behind you looking for inspiration. Take it slow, you're only two months post op and your body still has a lot of healing to do. I'd hate to see you suffering any set backs. No ODIC :no-fin:
@Tesjohn

I credit all the Virtual PT to your great progress. Well done and great to hear!

:happydance:@tesjohn:happydance:
Things are just going to keep getting better and better and the niggles may stay with you for quite a while longer...getting less and less with time and as you stay diligent about listening to your body when it let's you know how far to go at each stage of recovery.
Onward and upward:egypdance:

Last edited:
How's @Tesjohn doing.....still plagued by niggles?
I hope the nagging groin pain and stabbing sensation are easing, or better yet, gone.
Let us know how you've been. We'd love to hear of your progress.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :flwrysmile:

Haven’t been here in a bit.....the problem with healing is now I have been back to the normal demands of life. It seems there are not enough hours in the day! I do still have the nagging groin pain and a few niggles but not enough to sit back and pamper myself...darn! Really have come a long way! There is light at the end of the tunnel....lol. I am even back in bed....I’m sure I will still be plagued with reminders of what my body has been through for a while yet, but life goes on and the bar/restaurant I have is quite demanding. This is one of our busiest week-ends of the year. The Irish (myself included) party A LOT. I do STILL ice after a long day. Again, no PT....the steps, walking, and working has been more than enough ☺️☺️

Wow! You've jumped back in. I can appreciate that owning your own restaurant is very demanding. I hope you're
still able to find some time to rest and ice in the evenings. Thankfully you're not engaging in PT as it seems you
are getting in a lot of activity during the day at work. I'm sure the weekend will be crazy. Rest up!
Enjoy St Paddys Day :cheers: Thanks for the update.
@Tesjohn

Wow---not even 3 months out and you are doing so well. I understand that the restaurant business is incredibly intense and all consuming. I hope you are remembering to stop a few times a day and check in with your hip, leg, and back to be sure they are happy. :heehee:

What type of restaurant do you have? How long have you had it/been in the restaurant business? A friend who had a restaurant used to talk about the need to wear good shoes. I'll bet that is.especially true now when you need support and stability as you spend hours on your feet! What fun it must be to gather folks on St. Pats weekend for the celebration---a very unique opportunity for sure. :cheers2:

:wave:@Tesjohn
So glad to hear your update.
I was so unstable with OA pain and lack of sleep prior to THR, that the "small stuff" was exactly that to me also Small Stuff.
Lots of improvement to come.
Do take your time when you can...to chill and rest.
Wishing you success for all you do.
Onward and upward:egypdance:

Hey, ladies. It’s been a little while.

I have had the restaurant for 30 years, @Debru4. It will be 30 years on July 22. I can’t believe it! It is actually a restaurant/bar. We are open 7 days a week and we serve everything from pizza to lobster!

Thank you @Layla and @Mojo333 for the encouraging and thoughtful words.

I have been quite busy, maybe a little to busy. I seem to have done something, not sure what. Things were going so well and then I started to get night pains. Then yesterday I had trouble getting in and out of the car. Then again pain at night.

Today was good all day and now that I’m just sitting (with ice) I have pain again! I don’t know if I just hurt it somehow. Can’t imagine what could have caused this. I really don’t think I overdid anything.

Even though it’s been busy I didn’t think it was too demanding. In fact, I have been bragging about how well I did! Maybe it’s bragger's revenge. Sometimes it’s short little bursts of pain and then it just aches. Quite disturbing. Hope to get more icing and rest and that will take care of it.

Hi @Tesjohn
I'm sorry you're struggling. I'm wondering if you've done too much, too soon. Looking back I'm guessing you went back to work at 2 months post op...is that about right?
Let us know if you'd like us to tag, Josephine, the forum Nurse.
Possibly through asking you some questions she could get an idea of what's going on and advise.
Wishing you comfort and relief.

Have you had a lot of weather fluctuations up your way? Not always, but often, I find my self in a bit more pain when the barometric pressure drops and the cold, wet/snowy weather come in. Not just in my other arthritic joints (back, etc.) but in the tissue around my new implant.

A close friend who had a replacement at age 16 and 5 revisions since then said it still happens to her sometimes as well---almost as though if she'd had a busy week and perhaps taxed her leg/hip a bit, it didn't show up as pain until the barometer dropped. I know some folks disagree with that notion, but I think it is a factor for some.

Your job sounds a lot like my teaching job was---you are probably on your feet most of the time, and so busy you may not even be thinking about any aches and pains you have....until you get home and sit for awhile. And then you become aware that something hurts!

I agree it is worrisome when a new pain pops up, or you feel like you are having a setback. I feel like I am having a little more pain now as well, following a very smooth early recovery. I intentionally did not push myself and eased into things. Now that spring is approaching and I am increasing my yard work, outdoor walking, etc. I think I am experiencing some of the adjustment that is normal for anyone. It certainly is something I've had other springs---my "gardener's bottom" pain.:heehee: But for some reason this year, it makes me nervous because I am associating it with my new hip. Just something I need to get past mentally I think. I hope you get back on the "smooth recovery" plan! I know the feeling---afraid to feel too good about doing well, for fear it may fall apart! :console2:

Last edited:
Hello! Yes, @Layla if Josephine can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. @Debru4 , the weather has been fluctuating...that may have some bearing on it. So far today it hasn’t been too bad, but that’s how it was yesterday and then at night it was terrible. More icing. Even the incision hurts. That may be normal, I haven’t heard anyone talk about that. I told my husband I was going to back off for a while. More rest and more ice. I know it takes awhile, a good while, to get back to normal. Hopefully this is a minor setback.
Good luck with your gardening @Debru4. I think the spring will have a positive effect on everyone.....Just be careful with being out and doing more, trust your own judgement and take care of you. Thanks ladies....happy Friday....have a great day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom