Guest viewing is limited

THR New here Help<

@Tesjohn Still early days for you. Appetite is often a problem just post op. If there is a food you crave - go for it. Little and often snacks until things balance again.
I do think I should be walking better than I am right now.
There are no "shoulds" with this recovery. You will be off the walker when that hip is ready. When you start leaving it behind it's a sign you are starting to wean off it.
 
@Tesjohn It's been my experience so far that everytime I try to decide what I should be doing...and when... is when I get to pay the price with more swelling, legs jumping around at night, the bone aching in my surgical leg... etc...mother nature exacting her revenge on me.
I don't have stairs in my home, just one step onto the porch then three steps down to the walk. So I don't get a lot of stairs. I figure I'll deal with that once I'm all healed and need to "buff-up" to come to visit the UK... the capital of stairs.
 
@Debru4 Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate each comment! I am waiting for therapist now. I do think I should be walking better than I am right now. Can’t wait to toss the walker! And I have not been eating! I start to eat and appetite goes away. From the other posts, I better try to get in a lot of protein. I guess it’s strength I need. I still feel drained.
Considering how you were disassembled, replacement parts installed, and then reassembled how well do you think you should be walking? The fact that they can do this and we can recover from it is remarkable! Your body has been through a trauma and needs to recover. It took me 2 weeks before the color came back to my face and arms, my body had better use for the blood. It takes quite a while to regain energy.
 
How is your nausea? One of the many reasons I can not take narcotics is that I can't get the nausea under control without Phenergan, and that makes me out of my head drugged and unable to function. After 3 days post surgery, I was a mess, and my doctor had me stop the Oxycontin and shift to Tramadol, which is a prescription that is synthetic and not an opiod--it also isn't as strong as narcotics, but worked better for me. (I had used it before surgery as well.) My nausea left quickly and never returned. I was able to eat, felt more alert, and was able to manage my pain pretty well. If your nausea continues and you can't eat, perhaps you might talk with your doctor about whether a pain medication switch might help with nausea. Just a thought......
 
The nausea is under control. I have always had a problem with my stomach and my head when on hydrocodone but they have me on a script of 4 mg Zofran every 8 hours and now they do not bother me at all! Reading the last posts from @oregonlass, @Eman85 and you, I think you have all brought me a little closer to understanding. I guess I was in a rush to feel normal. It sure helps listening to your experiences and knowing that I am feeling the same. I am just behind you all in time. I get myself all worked up. You have described all the pain and emotion I am feeling! It’s a whole body ache. I keep coming here and reading and rereading your posts. Sometimes I feel helpless and then realize it’s only been a week and things will improve!
 
You are doing great....I think once we truly understand what a major surgery this is, and we give ourselves time to heal, and permission to take the pressure off of ourselves, things do start to fall into place!
 
Whoa! You're only 8 days post-op. Please lower your expectations or you'll be disappointed. You can't rush recovery. It takes a full year for a complete healing and for some even longer. Depending upon which approach you experienced your leg may have been jerked aggressively in an effort to dislocate your hip. Your flesh was cut, there is trauma to soft tissue. Muscles, tendons, ligaments are disturbed, power tools were used. Your bone was sawed and reamed out so a prosthetic could be placed. It will take your body time to recover from the trauma.

Please use the Activity Progression for THR as a rough guideline to keep yourself in check during these early weeks. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Your body needs rest, sleep and well managed pain control. Stay adequately hydrated and eat protein as your appetite allows. And ice, ice, ice. It's great for both pain and swelling. Do it several times per day for 40-60 mins each session.

If you monitor your progress week by week, rather than day by day, I think you'll be surprised at how well you're doing.

Wishing you all the best!
@Tesjohn
 
Last edited:
@Tesjohn I think my real come-uppance was when I saw my surgeon at 10 days ( a little early but working around Christmas). He handed me a black and white printout of my new hip. OMgoodness... I felt like good old Darth Vadar had just landed and was giggling. There it was staring at me... big and black and... oh my, oh my. No wonder it hurt.
If you’re feeling you need to push more... ask to see a picture. That will simmer your jets. It was like how the heck did they get that in there with any room to spare and my body is going to do what with that. I have the paper, but I keep it folded in half. Almost too much info but a great reminder. Nope... nobody wants to see it.
I’m almost 3 weeks ahead of you and we do all heal different but if I try to walk too far with my cane, that bone tells me... in it’s sweetly ornery voice... you’d better stop or I’ll get even with you. Take the time to care for yourself... think wellness. Rest, ice, elevate, eat the very best choices you can. All of those things will help you heal much faster than anything you or I can do to urge it forward.
 
Here's a heads up..you will start to see improvement and then it will stall or you will over do it because you think you're healed. Then you will get depressed about your recovery, then you will see improvement again and you will repeat the process. It has happened to most all of us,
 
@Tesjohn Hi, Just another voice confirming you are very early into your recovery. At only 8 days out, I was only getting up to go to the bathroom, eat and walk for a few minutes every so often. Pain wise, I was off prescription daytime pain meds within a week and off them at night time by 10 days or so. However, I just started using a cane indoors and still use a walker if I go away from home. My balance was very poor for quite a while but has gotten a lot better. It was several weeks post op before I could eat very much at one time. Our recovery timelines are definitely an individual thing. Keep the faith, things do get better.

@Eman85 You definitely got the recovery process nailed!
 
@Tesjohn Are you sleeping a lot? Like everyone else is saying, your body took some trauma during the surgery and rest is healing. I slept a ridiculous amount - 10-11 hours! I guess I needed it. I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow and I'm just now feeling like I don't need so much sleep, I feel pretty good with 8 hours. I didn't have anything else to do so might as well sleep. :sleeep: So rest/sleep as much as you need and give yourself time.
 
So, on top of everything else going on, I developed a terrible cough! Sure hope it does not develop into something else to worry about.
 
I do hope you aren't getting a cold.
Jack up your vitamin C...my mother drowned us with Orange Juice:sigh:
Honey lemon cough drops?
No need to worry...
Cold won't affect hip, just make your recovery more frustrating!
Hope it eases soon!
All temporary, Tes
 
Frustrating @Mojo333 .....to say the least. Deep chest cough with phlegm.......why now??? I guess resistance is low.
 
Oh my stars...I certainly would call my GP to get this nipped in the bud.
Don't want you getting pneumonia!
I should think all of your body's energy and efforts are concentrated on that trauma from surgery...so CAN dip our immune system.
My hubby has some BP and heart issues do they restrict him to a few cold medicines like Coriciden and Mucinex.
Try not to worry.
Healing hugs coming your way:loveshwr:
 
Aww, how untimely, I'm so sorry!
I agree that you should call your PCP today. Possibly he will prescribe something for the cough.
Stay hydrated, it's vital. Try cough lozenges for temporary relief.
Steamy showers always seem to help as do cool mist vaporizers.
Hot Tea with Honey and Lemon is always a soothing option. I also use fresh grated Ginger for its anti-inflammatory effect.
Rest and sleep are necessary as your body heals from surgery and your respiratory issue.
Wishing you comfort and lots of cozy naps. Feel better soon. :console2:
@Tesjohn
 
i was unlucky enough to get a cold and a sinus infection during my recovery. The combo of being weakened from the surgery and it being cold and flu season makes you vulnerable.
 
@Eman85 Sorry you had to go through that! I was drained before, now I don’t even know what I’m feeling. Just plain miserable! Yup, it’s Robitussin, orange juice, lots of water and rest! Ice, ice, ice!
 
Back
Top Bottom