Guest viewing is limited

THR New here Help<

Sounds like you are on the right path. I’ll be 4 weeks tomorrow. Start out in my bed - which is super comfy, but after 3-4 hours end up moving to recliner.
Don’t rush support changes like crutches or walker. They didn’t even want me to start cane until 3+ week mark.
It made me limp really bad so I practiced with walker and not depending on it. Now hubby says I’m walking better with the cane than walker so making that switch.
Learning to listen to my body and not rush has been my biggest take-away. When I stick to that less pain rebound effect. The comment on you don’t feel pain during physio but it haunts you later is spot on. Take it easier than you think you can.
Good luck!!! Happy healing!!!
 
If you hate PT, why not stop it for now? You can always go back at a later date.
Stop by often, you'll find a lot of encouragement and support here. Advice too, which you can take, or leave, like mine above, lol
Enjoy the day! :)
@Tesjohn
 
I only used the Tramadol pain medication until the 2nd week. The doctor did give me a refill, but cautioned me that if I was taking it, I should not drive. He also felt I was walking/moving so well that his goal for me was to get off of prescription meds as soon as I was able.

I didn't feel pressured by him, but rather felt encouraged to use the ice, Tylenol, elevation, and rest. Occasionally I would take a Tramadol at night if I had more pain. If I had had serious pain, or persistent pain, I would have taken it more often, or talked with my Dr about it.

At this point, I have a sense of what is normal pain for my 5 month old hip and what is unusual. So far I have not used prescription meds in months. As early in your recovery as you are, I would be surprised if you didn't need a refill. And rather than stop altogether it's often suggested that you simply space out the doses more---like every 6-8 hours instead of every 4, etc. I'm sure a lot of this depends on what medication you are taking.

Agree totally with @Bionic that stairs are a good way to increase strength and mobility. I viewed them as one of the "daily life" activities I was eager to return to. At first I might only go up and down them a couple times a day, using the basic method taught in the hospital by the OT. Each day I got stronger and more steady, and was soon able to alternate feet and even carry lightweight things up and down. Now I barely give steps a thought!
 
I think I have to agree about the stairs. If you think about it, when you do the stairs you actually incorporate most moves. The stairs should be quite enough as I walk around the apartment several times a day. I think I will venture to the stairs tomorrow. I have only done them the one time coming home from hospital.

I don’t mind the foot pumping that actually feels good. I wish I did not have to do PT. I would like to be left alone for another week without any one pushing me! And yes, Eman85, I am icing. Often!

Has anyone been prescribed liquid Percocet as their pain med! I have and this is the first time for me! Any other time I was on Percocet for surgery it was always been pills which are very hard on my stomach. When I came home I had a hard time finding a drug store that had it in liquid form. My husband had to drive all over the place and finally found some about 40 miles from where I live!
 
I wish I did not have to do PT. I
We have many members who did no PT and they did just fine. If you feel it would be better to wait a few weeks, you can. Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used

Go back and read the articles left for you in an earlier post, lots of great information about recovery, and letting your knee heal.
Pushing your recovery, may set your recovery back.

Here is a link to information on how to use the forum.
How To Use This Forum

I am going to tag @Josephine our Director and Forum Nurse to comment on liquid Percocet.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Tesjohn
You're never alone here. Door never closes, lights never go out.
You may not always get a response right away, but you're not alone here.
I hope you have a comfy, cozy, peaceful night! :yawn: :sleep:
 
Here is a copy of the Big Tip for Hips.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
:hi: All you need to do at this point is move around to the necessary places and short walks.
I think it's too early for you to do too much stair climbing. Stairs do involve lots of muscle groups.
This is something you can consider after some more healing ...no need to aggravate those muscles and soft tissues these early days.
My OS , due to the current guidelines with insurance company re opioid prescription, had me pick up new one week at a time prescriptions.
I had to sign form for husband to pick up and hand deliver to pharmacy. They couldn't call in refill.
Not really convenient, but had no problem getting refill.
Too early to worry about dropping the meds if you need them.
They keep us comfortable and more able to be mobile.
Your body is working hard to heal.
You can support it most by being patient, eating well, resting when able, and ICE, ICE, ICE...still!
It's all temporary and you will be able to "work" on things when body says it is ready to do more.
Hope your day is sweet!:loveshwr:
 
Just my opinion but I would ease into the stairs, whether just walking or doing stairs you have to be careful about passing the point of no return. I did it walking down my road, when you realize you're not going to make it back because it hurts and it's going to hurt more is not what you want to do. You said you have 18 steps, I would have a spotter and go down a few and turn and go back up and see how that goes. If you go down 18 and can't make it back up without hurting yourself it's not going to work out well! Did they have you do any stairs at the hospital? Part of my walking the hall at the hospital included going up and down a couple of steps on a prop they had at the hospital to show me how to do it with a cane.
 
So after having a bad night, not being able to find a comfortable spot, not doing any therapy so far today! Just walking a bit. Icing lots. Still having groin pain but no as bad. Lots of stabbing pains! Does anyone else have much of an appetite? I think I’m hungry but lose the appetite once I start to eat. Of course, I know I am not working up an appetite, but I thought it would be better.
As far as the steps are concerned, I’m leaving them alone for another day or two. You are right about all 18. I did a small set in the hospital so I will practice on a few at a time. Still on the walker.
Did get my meds filled so no problem in that department. They switched me from liquid to pills.
 
Hi @Tesjohn ,

It sounds like you are doing fine. Re your question about appetite: we do all vary, but for what it’s worth this is my pattern: Day 7 I was still feeling nauseous at times. No appetite but forced myself to eat a little. Then I went through a stage of constipation which made me not want to eat, followed by two days of running to the loo having overdone the constipation remedies! It was about 12 days before my digestive system settled down and then I really began to enjoy my food. There was a period of perfect appetite, where the most mundane foods tasted utterly delicious, but I was satisfied after a small helping. Sadly that didn’t last and I was back to my normal greedy self by about Day 20, wondering what is for dinner about half an hour after lunch.
 
I don’t mind walking around my apartment and do it often.
That's what we call ADLS (activities of daily living) and perfect for recovery! You need nothing more.
Has anyone been prescribed liquid Percocet as their pain med! I have and this is the first time for me! Any other time I was on Percocet for surgery it was always been pills which are very hard on my stomach.
As a matter of interest, did you happen to also be taking anything like Advil or ibuprofen? And what was the nature of the effect it had on your stomach? Nausea, gut pain, heart burn, indigestion?


I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I was not taking any Advil or Ibuprofen. I was taking the liquid Percocet and Zofran because I cannot keep Percocet down. The Zofran makes it tolerable. I have now been switched to pill form....hydrocodone-acetaminophen. 5-325 and still taking Zofran three times a day to keep my stomach settled and keep the dizziness away! This seems to be working quite well. Before the Zofran, I could not keep anything down! I will answer any questions @Josephine that you put to me.
 
Well that's cleared that away then!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. I had anterior right THR

2. When I am sitting a have about a 3-4 characterized by burning pulling and stabbing groin pain. And very tender achy thigh and lower leg pain. Standing and walking I’d give it a 7 varying a little in regard to med time.

3. Pain med. hydrocodone 5-325 mg..one every 4 hours

4. Icing almost every hour for about 20 minutes.

5. I keep the leg elevated all the while I am sitting.

6. I am not doing any work(cooking, cleaning, etc) as it has only been 6 days since surgery.

7. Exercise.....foot pumping 5 to 6 times a day
Walking around apartment almost every other hour
Physical therapist coming to home tomorrow.

I think that covers it. @Josephine
 
Last edited:
I wanted to clarify that my comment earlier that walking, daily activities, and climbing stairs were basically all I did, was not to suggest that you do all of these at once, at this early stage. The point I was making was that PT isn't necessarily the best option, especially since you were feeling like you didn't really want to do the PT. You need to take more time before you climb a lot of stairs multiple times, or do more heavy duty household tasks. Slow and steady wins the race:)
 
Appetite was not a problem! I ate as soon as I got to the room post op. We stopped for Mexican on the way home from the hospital. What I did do was pay close attention to what I ate in recovery. Plenty of protein as the body has been traumatized and needs to rebuild. Fruits,nuts,yogurt along with good meals. No junk snacking.
 
Good Morning,

Here are some protein ideas. Some may appeal to you as a snack, as opposed to a meal if you're not feeling very hungry. Protein is very important for healing.

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

I hope you have a great day!
@Tesjohn
 
@Debru4 Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate each comment! I am waiting for therapist now. I do think I should be walking better than I am right now. Can’t wait to toss the walker! And I have not been eating! I start to eat and appetite goes away. From the other posts, I better try to get in a lot of protein. I guess it’s strength I need. I still feel drained.
 
Back
Top Bottom