Guest viewing is limited

THR New here Help<

Mine was at about 5 weeks, I was out and about getting exposed to germs! All I was worried about was the possibility of the infection spreading to my hip! It passed and everything was fine, just another setback.
 
2. When I am sitting a have about a 3-4. Standing and walking I’d give it a 7 varying a little in regard to med time.
That's about right for 10 days out.
3. Pain med. hydrocodone 5-325 mg..one every 4 hours
IF the hydrocodone has no Tylenol in it, you could also add 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day.
4. Icing almost every hour for about 20 minutes.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
5. I keep the leg elevated all the while I am sitting.
Good
6. I am not doing any work(cooking, cleaning, etc) as it has only been 6 days since surgery.
Good
7. Exercise.....foot pumping 5 to 6 times a day
Walking around apartment almost every other hour
Physical therapist coming to home tomorrow.
I would suggest you not allow that PT to give you any exercises. None at all!

Remember this? Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Hello, everybody! I have been fighting this cold and it was getting the better of me. I think I am seeing it come to an end soon. Anyway, I am concerned. It has been 17 days since surgery and I cannot even stand right without a cane. I am trying to walk around as much as I can but I am having a lot of pain after just a few steps. Should I be scared. I know veryone heals differently but I really thought the pain would be less by now. I think my therapist is even starting to question my lack of progress although she doesn’t want to alarm me, I’m sure. I went and got my staples out yesterday and it was a terrible ordeal. A lot of walking in the dr’s office. He did not seem concerned...i told him I am having pain similar to the pain I had before surgery and he said it isn’t really the same. I go back to him in two weeks. I’m just not comfortable with my progress. Any imput?
 
Last edited:
I am sorry your appointment was stressful and that you are feeling anxious about your progress.
That cold certainly hasn't helped...time for that to be Gone!
:umm:

It has been less than three weeks since this major surgery so I wouldn't worry that you can't stand without cane without hurting. Your leg needs support right now and those muscles can be oh, so sore! So hard to know what is normal...I get that.
At least the blasted staples are gone and hopefully with the cold diminishing...your immune system can kick into high gear.
I don't want to pooh-pooh your apprehension, but it really is early in this recovery period and time is the best healer.
Hope you are keeping ice on all you can...just do short mindful walks and try not to get too stressed by worrying.
See how things progress by the week, not by the day...good advice usually given by my friend Layla.

Sending good mojo your way!:roseshwr:
 
Tesjohn,
Hope you feel better soon.
I’m on day 29 and I still have two crutches. I once tried for 2 secs to stand on the leg and it had no power at all at around 2 weeks post op. You’re being a little hard on yourself x. I’m on two crutches but think I could go down to one but I’m not... I’m happy to continue on two and get stronger so don’t worry about using support. You’ll get there x
 
Well you guys made me feel better. Thank you. I know this cold is killing me. I thought it was breaking but last night it got a little worse. So yes, not feeling good it is hard to get up and walk around. My head is so heavy and coughing like crazy. I do ice as much as possible. Practically all the while I am sitting. I will just keep plugging a little at a time. There is really very little swelling. I guess that all will fall into place as you say. I will try to be more patient. Reading that most people were off the support by three weeks scared me because no way can I get around on my own. Thanks @midouri for sharing your experience with me. And thanks for the words of encouragement @Mojo333.
 
:)
You've had a bumpy start to this recovery...and it's just hard to get comfortable.
Try not to compare your recovery to others who seem to hit the ground running.
Post op blues and anxiety...energy drain from healing...AND a horrid cold:groan:
It will get better...just do what you can when you can.
All temporary!:yes:
 
You’re very welcome. I too at times wondered should I be on one crutch but I realise that it could be a minority who are. At the end of the day I’ll still get to the end point just as quick if I stay on two crutches. The reason I’m so positive now is that even overnight I’ve had a little break through, my swelling has reduced and leg feels much stronger today and yesterday was my first 17 minutes walk. I’ve no pain at all so I’m reassured I’m doing things right for me- slow and steady wins the race. Think I’ve really turned a corner! On week two I was doing very very little just resting mostly and maybe under 5 minute walks. Then week 3 about 5-10 and then last week 2-3 times a day a few minutes longer.
Also maybe I could do less because I came off all pain meds after week 1 so I could feel if I over did it sooner, hence the slow steady increase in walking. I don’t really do physio just walking.
Take vitamin C and rest and get well first, otherwise how can u have any energy to walk x.
 
I could not stand in the op keg for quite a while and was in one crutch for a long time. But none of this stopped me learning how to walk properly without a limp and practise good form. The strength does come back. For me the real improvements came 5 months out. Some achieve this much earlier but we are all different.

Just work on the walking and building up stamina, ice a lot and Mark progress week by week. Best of luck :-)
 
I think my therapist is even starting to question my lack of progress although she doesn’t want to alarm me, I’m sure.
Did you read my post/answers? You haven't said
 
Hello :wave:
You are certainly not alone in using an assistive device at only two and a half weeks post op.

You've heard it over and over...please try not to compare your recovery with others. Unless your pain is unrelenting or increasing in intensity, try to relax and be patient.

Right now it sounds like you need some extra rest and less stress so you can shake the cold you've mentioned. The anxiety, fear and stress you often mention will deplete your immune function.

I'd lay off the physical therapy also as you don't need it. I certainly wouldn't assume, nor care what your therapist is thinking in regard to your progress. You discussed your issues with your surgeon and he's not concerned so try and take comfort in that.

Get lots of rest. I hope you feel better soon.
@Tesjohn
 
@Josephine, Yes, I read all your posts and I know you stress the fact that you don’t need therapy. I understand that and I have not been doing much. With this cold I haven’t had the energy to do much of anything. Got a zpack from the dr yesterday so that should help in that department. I do ice a lot, a real lot. I think it’s the pain that I have when I put weight on it that scared me the most. As soon as I stand. Sitting, I have next to no pain. But weight bearing is very painful after a minute or two. I do all the sitting and standing exercises, not aggressively. Just enough to try and strengthen the muscles.
 
I stayed frozen too:ice:
I do hope that cold gets gone and you will get some of your strength back so you can feel stronger and more confident.
This is the tough part...but it is very early days.
Hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
Happy Weekend to you :)
I hope you're feeling some relief from the Z-Pak.
It will be nice to be rid of the cold and concentrate on your recovery.
Wishing you a pleasant and restful rest of the weekend!
@Tesjohn
 
The zpack is working thank heavens. Still have the cough but not nearly as bad. Wish the constant headache would let up but I guess that’s next. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and concern. You truly are helping me get through this. I have paid attention and not doing much of anything other than walking. The worse that can happen is I will take a little longer and so what. I will get there. Not as scared as I was thanks to all of you. Enjoy the rest of the week-end.
 
Great to hear it's easing! :happydance:
Recovery is enough in itself.
Colds just make it more difficult. Sadly, ''tis the season".
No need to be afraid, come here when you are and we'll talk you out of it :wink:
Have a good one!
@Tesjohn
 
Just wanted to update. Cold is completely gone and i am down to minimal pain. I felt kind of like a chronic complainer so I did not bring this up til I crossed all the other hurdles. The help you gave me to get me this far has been appreciated.And you were all right. All I had to do was listen. I feel like I am at a good point so I have a new question for you. When I was in the hospital and they got me up for first therapy I told them me new hip (leg) felt longer than the other. They said everything was swollen and when things settled it would be fine. When I went to get the staples out I told him my right leg was longer and he said because of my back and all the arthritis I have it should straighten out as I did more walking. Hopefully. I did not say anything more at the time. But I am doing quite a bit of walking now and I seem to be limping more because of the difference in length than I am from pain. I’ve been told this is a common side affect and would probably have to wear lift in my shoe. Has anyone here gone through this. I can’t help but feel that the difference in length could cause more problems down the line. I wanted to see what anybody else experienced before I go back to doc on Wednesday so I have some idea how to approach this. Thanks in advance!
 
I had a leg length difference post LTHR. But I do suggest you wait at least 3-4 months post op to do anything about it. In most cases this feeling just fades away. If by the 3-4 month mark you are still having issues get PT or a podiatrist to measure you for LLD. I had to wear a small lift in my right shoe for several years. Then my surgeon evened this up during my RTHR.
 
My experience with three hip surgeries each surgery felt LLD and strange at first . And with time it feels better as it’s healing, takes a period of adjustment. The second thr especially felt longer and yes it was but not enough to be a problem wore a small lift in shoes. My surgeon mentioned when revision was done on that hip with LLD that he tried to get the hips as even as possible without instability or LLD. Hips rolled back, tilted pelvis and back problems can also give the feeling of LLD.

He went on to explain that its a period of adjustment and during hip replacement the arthritic ball is removed and replaced with a new ball. Since the artificial ball comes in different sizes and neck lengths, the surgeon is able to adjust muscle tension, leg length and ball-socket stability during the hip replacement. These adjustments reflect complex decision-making and trade-offs during surgery. Slight leg lengthening may occur. In most cases where the hip feels a change in leg length,that perception disappears as the body adjusts over several months as the muscle and tissues stretch. It’s all back to that period of adjustment and healing.
If there really is a difference in LLD there is a way to measure the difference ask the surgeon.

Sending healing blessings your way. :angel:
 
@Jaycey and @Hippielife thanks for the answers.my therapist measured and she came up with 1/2” difference. I thought that that was quite a bit. Will ask Dr to check. I hope it straightens out. It’s 4 weeks today since surgery. Wearing a lift is not the worst thing I guess....it hampers sandal season, darn! God bless you @Hippielife ——three hip surgeries——-yikes! I’m crying over one! Mobility is getting a lot easier. Continuous walking still is painful after the first five minutes or so. Slow and steady wins the race.
 
Back
Top Bottom