Guest viewing is limited

THR New here Help<

You're at just the right place for a good overdo. At 3 mos my mind was cashing checks my body couldn't pay. Same deal and 3 weeks of really taking it easy and icing to get back to where I was. When your mind gets occupied with work and such you do forget about your hip, and it doesn't like that.
 
Glad to hear you are going to back off a bit and try to determine if your pain is due to overdoing. Most likely that's it---you are still quite early in your recovery.

I love gardening so much, and get almost giddy when I can get out in the yard. As a result, I'm not sure my own judgement in that area is very good. So far I have been limiting myself to no more than 2 hours a day, and I still have my perennial "gardening bottom" issues--:heehee:. Luckily my surgery was last August, so I have had almost 9 months to recover. It's hard because I also have back pain issues that I've had for years---I can typically work around them, but you are right.....I don't want to overdo at this point when things have gone so well thus far with my hip! Thanks for the reminder.:loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
Happy Friday, @Tesjohn
I'll gladly tag @Josephine for you. I'm sure given her experience she will be able to direct you after asking you a few questions. I think you're wise to take a step back and get a bit more rest. At only three months post op you're still in early recovery in the whole scheme of things. You want to get this right to avoid set backs or develop chronic pain. I hope you're able to get some restorative rest.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend.
 
She's logged off Jo, but she posted her issues in # 157 @Josephine
 
Okay, I have it now.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Update. I had a great night I’d sleep last night! Pain is a lot less....guess I really did overdo it. Doing lots of icing and won’t be so negligent in the future. At least, I’m hoping that’s it. Seems to be a lot better. Haven’t tried getting back in the car yet, tho. Told my family I’m on strike this week-end....lol...for real. Have a wonderful week-end...
 
We have all been there Tess! Glad you are feeling better....
 
@Josephine ....I just saw you post now. I am willing to answer any questions. I did post that I feel a lot better, but I am still concerned it may have let up because I am pampering the heck out of myself. And I do appreciate all help and advice.
 
Last edited:
Okay-doky! Though you have answered these before - post #36
I suggest you go back and take a look at your answers then and see if you want to answer them again

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Hi and Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I'm glad to see you got some decent sleep and your pain is easing.
Hopefully you were able to rest and recover over the past couple days as you planned.
A great week to you!
@Tesjohn
 
@Josephine...here you go
1Anterior

2 right now about 2 the best it’s been in a little while

3 Only pain med right now is Ibuprofen 800 mg

4 I have been icing that last three day very often about 45 min to an hour

5 I have been elevating as long as I’m icing and really most of the last few days

6 Until the last couple days I had been very active. Helping in the business, even tending bar a bit, Cooking, etc

7 No actual exercises. Normal cleaning, cleaning and working in restaurant
I haven’t done any physical therapy at all.

As I stated, I did cut back on everything. I really think I overdid it or pulled a muscle or something. Since I stopped there is a big difference. Still have groin pain and some shooting pains but they seem to be calming down. But I have been pampering myself. Almost doing nothing which I guess can’t be good either.


The incision is extremely tender and sore. Is that normal? Haven't gotten in the car since the pain got bad again. Going to try later and see if it bothers me. Seriously, I got scared because I was able to do so much and then the pain kicked in and I felt like I was going backward. I was intending to start more activities today. I just went out to the car and it is still difficult.
 
2 right now about 2 the best it’s been in a little while
Okay
3 Only pain med right now is ibuprofen 800 mg
ibuprofen is a really poor pain killer. You'd be much better taking Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day.

I know the FDA has ruled that 3,000mg acetaminophen is a safe maximum but that would be assuming that the patient is taking another medication that also contained it and thereby inadvertently take an overdose. Assuming that this is not the case, the maximum safe dosage per 24hrs 4,000mgs.
4 I have been icing that last three day very often about 45 min to an hour
5 I have been elevating as long as I’m icing and really most of the last few days
Good
6 Until the last couple days I had been very active. Helping in the business, even tending bar a bit, Cooking, etc. Normal cleaning, cleaning and working in restaurant.
Does that involve lifting and carrying stuff?
7 No actual exercises. I haven’t done any physical therapy at all.
Glad to hear it!
 
Switching to Tylenol. I did not know that.
I was carrying and lifting but I stopped. I did take your advice seriously about the therapy. I had a girl come here but all I did was walk when she was here. I flatly refused to do most of their exercises. I just did a little on my own. She stopped coming and they wanted me to go to PT and I told them I was doing walking and I did not feel I needed therapy. Surprisingly, the Dr said ok! I really thank you for that info. You were absolutely correct.

Since I cut back I seem to be returning to doing better. Still the little groin pain. I can’t believe how sore the incision is. It is extremely tender and sore. Burns a lot also.

Thank you @Josephine for taking the time to help me out.
 
2 right now about 2 the best it’s been in a little while
about right for 13 weeks
3 Only pain med right now is Ibuprofen 800 mg
You'd be much better taking Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day.
4 I have been icing the last three days, very often about 45 min to an hour
Good
5 I have been elevating as long as I’m icing and really most of the last few days
Excellent
6 Until the last couple days I had been very active. Helping in the business, even tending bar a bit, Cooking, etc
I see you are cutting back - that's good.
7 No actual exercises. Normal cleaning, cleaning and working in restaurant. I haven’t done any physical therapy at all.
Good!
As I stated, I did cut back on everything. I really think I overdid it or pulled a muscle or something. Since I stopped there is a big difference.
Excellent!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom