Guest viewing is limited

THR New here Help<

It’s been nine years since my RTHR. I remember that the first three months post-op were full of ups and downs. Some days I had zero pain, and other days I had 7 pain. Sometimes it’s was groin, sometimes over the trochanter, and sometime it was in the center of my buttocks.

What I learned, was that it takes a full year to reach the point where you don’t think about your hip every day. Today I have 0 pain, 0 loss of motion, and I can’t remember the last time I recalled my hip surgery.

However if you have new redness, an increasing body temperature, or severe pain, call your doctor straight away.

I’ve since had a total knee... horrible post op pain, but three years latter it’s perfect.

Hang in there.
 
I second @Jaycey on no resistance for the machine at first. Classic example of how you could be sore later when it feels fine at the time (even a slight incline).

Re my doing the hips close together, I just wanted to get it over with! My OS said both needed to be done, and that for me, six weeks apart would be fine. I called my bf (a doctor, fwiw) from the waiting room after I got the surgeon’s assessment; he thought I should go for it. We were about to move into a house and it mattered to me that he was on board.

There was a three-month wait. I did ask for cortisone shots to tide me over, but for me personally they did little and hurt like h*ck :-D
 
Latest hiccup...pain medicine....yesterday Dr said I need no more pain meds.. I was on Percocet. I tried going without it. Made it til midnight (around). Took buprofen 800. Did not help. Y
Took more today and am still n pain. Anyone on here more than 4 weeks???????
 
What I meant was, Were you on prescription meds for more than 4 weeks? I found myself going longer than 6 hours before I even thought of them most of the times but the nights are hard. Seems like pain is worse at the end of the day and I am having a hard time. Actually, I think it’s because it’s so stretched in bed. I find myself going back to recliner for relief.
 
Is it your family doctor who is refusing a refill or the surgeon? Typically the surgeon prescribes first and then your family doctor takes over. Many people need pain meds for much longer than 4 weeks out.
 
Actually it was my surgeon who said I didn’t need them and at the time, I thought he was probably right. Of course I was still on them so how would I know how I would be without them???? I think I need to think things out before I agree. Anyway I did think I would be ok....I was wrong, and it seriously is at the end of the day. I hate bed....recliner eases the tension I guess. Don’t get me wrong, I do not want to be dependent on a pill, but it sure would be nice to know when it gets worse, as it sometimes does, you have a back up! Like right now, I am having a lot of groin and for some reason, lower leg pain and the ibuprofen is not helping at all. So, out of bed and recliner here I come. Hope there is a good movie or something on to help!
So just a note to any newbies out there....it’s better to have pain pills and not take them than to need them and not have them.
 
Well Tylenol was prescribed ... so I still had Tylenol after four weeks ... I still take it (not round the clock anymore) four months out ... But you need whatever you need. Had I needed something stronger, I would have asked and my surgeon and his nurse were pretty good. Pain does not aid recovery ... not at all.
 
Happy one month out.:flwrysmile:
Still get early days and do try the Tylenol regimen if you are unable to receive some stronger medication. I certainly needed it for several months...could have powered through...but no need to be miserable.
It was 6 weeks or longer before I found sleep all night in bed..and for months after surgery, I had issues with sleep and would usually end up in recliner at some point during the night.
It Does get better, albeit slooowly!
:sigh:
I do hope you are still icing.:ice:
Keep the faith, one month is prime time for the post op blues and cabin fever!:unsure:
Sending good mojo your way!:console2:
 
@Tesjohn Please don't suffer through this. Ask your surgeon's office or your family doctor for pain relief. And yes, do try Tylenol. It's a much better pain med than Ibuprofen - much safer as well.
 
Definitely go to your doctor..... I found that a codeine at night and paracetamol during the day at 4-6 weeks really helpful... gradually I came off the codeine and just used the paracetamol..it is very unlikely you would get addicted and you need something for the pain, particularly at night for the time being..
 
Happy Super Bowl Sunday, everybody. Hope your team brings you a win.

Anyway, my Dr did renew my script. I called him and he agreed to it. I certainly have spaced them way out but, holy smokes, there a few times nothing else will do - except suffer of course.

I did find myself going a little too far on Friday. Seems I did the steps a few more times than I should have. Like, I’m learning ups and downs. I feel like a ping pong ball lol. And on the really good side, I seem to be walking with less of a limp. Once you get up and get your bearings it gets a lot easier. Of course I’m really concentrating on trying to keep it even. Feels a little unnatural.

Still looking forward to a full night in bed. Heck, a full night of sleep would be wonderful. So things are certainly looking up and I can’t thank @Josephine enough and the rest of you for stressing the little need for physical therapy. Going at my own pace seems to be working fine!
 
Still trying to adapt to sleeping back in my bed. I wander back and forth most of the night. How long do you have to sleep with a pillow between your legs? Not sure that I have seen many people talk about that. Also, did anyone have more knee pain after surgery? My leg seems to go numb from the knee down at times. And my knees seem weak and sore. Normal? Walking seems to be progressing as I should. I can go farther and last longer. Steps are not a problem any more. Just a little slow. Today is a so-so day. Every day is a little different. Pain moves, soreness relocates but I do know that this is how it is going to be.Mostly.....I’m so tired!
 
Hi @Tesjohn
A painful knee is a common complaint. The knee is often maneuvered
aggressively in an effort to dislocate. Try icing as you iced your hip.
I'm not sure why both knees would be hurting.

You're certainly not alone in experiencing Energy Drain.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

An article from the Recovery Guidelines -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

I hope you have a nice week.
 
And I was doing well, or so I thought, I can now walk without a cane but still need the support when I get up. First time I step on my foot is very painful. And it’s like that for three to four steps. Then it seems to be ok. I am having groin pain, like pulling and the outer side of hip is burning!please tell me this is normal. I feel like I am going in reverse. I know it will constant,y be up and down but this burning and pulling is scaring me
 
@Tesjohn I'm sorry you are having ups & downs and pain especially. I think those symptoms are pretty normal but of course I am no expert. One thing I would consider if I was you is if I was limping when walking without the cane? If your gait is off it might be contributing to that pain in your thigh and groin. Also concentrating on heel/toe walking. Maybe Josephine will pop in to reassure you.

I do hope things settle down! :fingersx:
 
@Carriemay60, I appreciate the speed you got back to me. I keep saying I’ve got this and I’m doing well and two days later I wonder what was I thinking? New pains. New feelings. Things feel stretched, things are burning, getting sharp little jabs, dull aches. Want to cry a lot!!! Can you imagine...what a baby! When I first get up, yes, I limp. Without the cane putting pressure on my foot hurts like crazy. I limp til like the 4th step. Then it seems to even out. And I do concentrate on the heel to toe to get rid of limp.the two things bad now....laying down and feeling that pulling and thumping in my groin. And now walking...this is a new burning sensation in my thigh.
 
Hi @Tesjohn
I hope you're having a good day. At not even 6 weeks post op you will experience odd discomfort, strange sensations, fleeting pains. Unless something is extremely uncomfortable and increasing in intensity, I'd try to go with the flow. Ice any areas of discomfort for no less than 40-60 mins several times a day.

If you think it would make you feel better, consider phoning the office of your OS. I'm sure through a series of questions a member of his care team will either offer you reassurance or advise you to schedule an appointment.

Recovery does call for a lot of patience. Slowly but surely you will get there.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind.
 
keep saying I’ve got this and I’m doing well and two days later I wonder what was I thinking? New pains. New feelings

Exactly what I was describing above.

And now walking...this is a new burning sensation in my thigh.

Again, another day, out with the old annoyance, in with the new. Key word "new"

See the pattern? Not with YOU, just Recovery in general.

You're normal! :yay: You're normal! :happydance:
 
My friend recovery is a roller coaster ride - just hold on tight and ride with it.
[Bonesmart.org] New here Help<
 
Back
Top Bottom