New here and terrified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Butterfly ... I responded to your nice posting on my thread a while ago. And read your entire thread. And was horrified to see that someone had tagged me to respond to you, in regards to having to do the whole THR thing all alone. I am VERY sorry I didn't see the tag. I actually don't read and post at BoneSmart all that frequently anymore, and did take off on hiatus after an especially horrible time period at work, and a PT session from hell. But I am back now, always in spirit and erratically in person.

Boy, I could really relate to so much that you have posted. And I don't think you are more fearful than anyone else. I just think some people don't say that they are; or don't or can't admit it to themselves. It's a coping mechanism to tell yourself you aren't upset, that things are good, etc., etc., etc. But the truth is, anyone and everyone is worried and spooked by this surgery. Who in the heck wouldn't be? The trick is to find little Band-Aids to prevent you from freaking yourself out so much that you make yourself more miserable than you already are. And let's face it, we are all miserable physically when we come to this site in our pre-op state and until we are sufficiently healed. It's a physical pain that seriously hampers simple mobility. If your hand hurts, you can still walk. But if you hip hurts, you can't walk well at all or for long! Like what you were saying about worrying about going down the hallway for bloodwork. Every "journey" in these later pre-op weeks is like an odyssey of pain.

But you sound like you have done a great job of moving forward and putting not only one plan but two plans in place. You have TWO dates for surgery, not far apart. That's very brave. I could not have done that. Certainly not while working. And even if I were retired, I seriously doubt I would have been able to handle it. But many people here have done it, and I do believe that after the first one, all of those unknowns will be answered and you won't be as scared for the second one.

It also sounds like family has stepped up and been helping you prepare for recovering afterward. I was tagged about this because I was alone after day 4 following surgery. My cousin flew from out of state to be with me for the surgery and help get me home. It was wonderful. She was just terrific. I was scared for her to leave, but I did it just fine. No, it isn't fun. And I cried a LOT, while she was here, after she left. It was scary and I worried I couldn't do it alone. I worried mainly about being woozy from pain pills and not getting to the toilet in the middle of the night. But I DID it. I wasn't too woozy, and I had my walker. And I always had a little flashlight that I wore around my neck. I kid you not. I did that. And sometimes I slept with a lamp on. To heck with being "green" at this time of recovery.

But I was and you will be able, as everyone says, to get around the house with the walker at first and then a cane. Also, you probably will have home visits from a visiting nurse and a physical therapist. These people are paid to actually look in on you. It was a huge relief to have them, though the nurse was a real character and I wouldn't have trusted his medical judgment on anything serious without first consulting my surgeon.

And, your surgeon's office staff will probably give you an email or phone number for you to contact them with any questions. ASK HIM before surgery or before you leave the hospital about this. My surgeon told me in the hospital when he visited me afterward that I could contact his nurse at any time. Unfortunately I didn't quite remember this until a few days after I was home. I felt very abandoned by him ... then I remembered! The Nurse! So she became my new email buddy, and even called me. That was a huge consolation. I was emailing this nurse about my seven-day case of constipation (which was scary really oniy in theory as I didn't have any discomfort) and emailing pictures of my scar when my skin got red from a sensitivity to the adhesive on the bandage. No issue was too gross or small. Really, it was quite reassuring. You have said that you have chosen a surgeon who has a great reputation, so take some consolation in that. My surgeon too was someone who has a great reputation and I have always felt extremely confident in his surgical skills.

Here's some other stuff that might help....

HAve your land line and cell phone at your bedside, or if you can wear the cell phone on a lavalier kind of thing or in a pocket to have it available at all times. To avoid having to walk to get it. Have phone numbers at the ready.

Have some kind of tote bag or basket that you can have on your walker or even carry so that you aren't always wasting steps walking back and forth from the kitchen to the living room, etc., etc. That was something that was big problem for me. I kept having to go back and forth and back and forth to carry dinner, then the water glass, etc., etc. BoneSmartions advised me about using a tote or basket rather than carry things back and forth. See, the thing is ... right after surgery, yes, you are supposed to be up and about, BUT, not all the time! You have to be very prudent and conserve your steps and walking around and movements. You can get sore very easily and fast, and tire easily. The biggest lesson I learned from Josephine on BoneSmart is the one that is inscribed on my forehead--and I am paraphrasing, but it's this: You can do this activity, and you can do that activity--but you don't do them at the same time at first. You pick and choose. You limit unnecessary movements--just like being on a diet. If you want to have dessert, then you don't have a high-calorie meal on top of that. I think what she said in her famous activity chart that cemented it in my brain was this: At such-and-so week, you can make dinner, BUT SOMEONE ELSE should clean up dinner. In other words, don't stand while making dinner and then stand while cleaning up afterward; that's too much standing! Well, when you live alone, that's tough. So ... you let the dishes pile up just a little. OR ... as my cousin advised so wisely; YOU USE PAPER PLATES. (As I said, this is not the time to worry about being "green.")

As for food ... my situation doesn't lend itself to the "just freeze a bunch of meals beforehand" advice because I have a tiny refrigerator with a freezer that holds ice bags/trays and maybe a bag or two of frozen vegetables, but nothing more. So I really had to keep the freezer space available for the ice bags. And I had a variety of sizes and kinds, because ice is your new best friend for life. That's the other huge thing I learned on BoneSmart. Ice ice ice ice ice.

But for food, I had a bunch of canned stuff. My cousin nicely asked me if I would mind eating canned veggies just during the initial few weeks, and I said, HECK, NO. Again, this was not the time to get all precious and overly fussy and organic this and that. My cousin stocked up on some fresh fruit and veggies, of course, and yogurt, and I had cans of Muscle Milk and other protein stuff; small low-fat cheese. I live in a big city, where take-out is done constantly, sO I ordered from a diner a dinner with all the fixings--salad, veggies, meat, etc., and ate the leftovers the next day .... or two.
I also had this refrigerator problem that you may or may not have, but with the restrictions, you can't bend over too far. So I put most everything that was in the fridge in a plastic Baggies (again, this is not the time to be all "green" conscious) so that, with my grabber, I could easily retrieve them.

I had every bit of laundry, every sock, underwear, etc., laundered and ironed (well, not the underwear and socks) and ready to pull on ... to conserve unnecessary laundering.

The sock do-DAD thing is crucial. I got one in my "hip kit" from the hosPital that has a terry-cloth-wrapped plastic base and it's really good.

I had two grabber-reachers. And tennis racket from decades ago. And a long-handled dustpan. Why? So that I could always have some way to pick up all the stuff I was always dropping. And by the way, constantly retrieving things you drop is "activity." And it's tiring and annoying. But it happens, so you have to be ingenious and think outside the box, and sometimes the grabber won't grab everything. So use other implements.

And of course you use those reacher-grabber things if you have the restrictions, which I gather you will have. You decided not to go for the anterior method. Ditto for me, too. I went to one of the best hospitals in the country, and chose a surgeon I really liked. And if I have to do my next hip, which is likely, I will NOT choose the anterior method. I'd rather go with a surgeon I like. And trust me, I hated those restrictions. Despised them. But I would still put up with them again if it meant going with a surgeon I liked.

My main agita during recovery was the blasted specter of WORK hovering around me. If I had been retired, I would have been a lot less stressed. But I had the unspoken expectations of my supervisors, who had hinted that I could come back in two weeks if I had a positive attitude. Actually they used the words "being positive" as being key to coming back to work early. Which really chapped me. Being positive has no bearing on SOFT TISSUE THAT IS TRYING TO HEAL. The tissue will heal on its own time, no matter how positive you do or don't feel. They were using the "be positive" mantra to manipulate me and make me feel guilty. I had a return date carved in stone with them and it was the same day I had my six-week checkup, where I was hoping to get the restrictions lifted.
So I had a lot stress from THAT. But despite how horrible your boss was to you (and I was so upset for you when i read your description of what happened), I am really happy that that is behind you. So just let yourself heal at your own pace and don't listen to anyone who tries to "push you.'"

Take heart, too, in all the things you are learning on BoneSmart, all the stuff that everyone goes through: the swelling of the operated foot/leg; the bruising (some of us have that, some not); the cement leg feeeling (it goes away); the fatigue; the crying spells. It's a laundry list of stuff that we all go through. So when it happens to you, you will realize it will go away and it is common. Knowing all of that helped me. Because all of this stuff is not indicative of anything that is wrong. It's just part of the goody bag we are given when we have this surgery. And it goes away.

Now, as for fears about the surgery. I was initially terrified, as I had never been in a hospital except for the usual one in the 60s for tonsils. Scared of the epidural. Scared I'd wake up during the surgery. Scared of Nurse Ratched. Scared of the catheter. Scared of pain management. Scared of ending up with a crazy roommate. Well, I read what everyone said here, and I really calmed down. Because, you know, when you read person after person after person say that the epidural wasn't bad or they didn't feel it; that they didn't wake up, or if they did, they felt no pain and didn't care, well ... you stop worrying. I always take consolation in the numbers: If 99 people out of 100 don't wake up, then I don't worry about waking up. Also, I did have Nurse Ratched and her More Evil Twin, but not every shift. Pain was managed. It wasn't a picnic. But it wasn't hellish, either.

I didn't do the meditative tape thing; I tried (a male narrator; not one of the tapes that's mentioned on Bone Smart), but started laughing incontrollably because his voice was slow and he droned on and on and it started to sound like a parody of Mellow FM Radio Man. Like someone from a Woody Allen movie. Unintentionally funny. So it made me laugh so hard, it was actually cathartic and helpful. (I always prefer humor to anything meditative, but that's my problem.) But if those tapes help you, then go for it. You need a bag of tricks to dip into to help you. Whatever gets you through the night.

Oh, and you mentioned all the pre-op tests and what if they find you have this or that? Well, I worried about some of that, too. And rightfully so! I worried about dental work being as how I have some problems and feared I'd need crowns or extractions or something. well, luckly, my dentist didn't find anything wrong. Then, I worried about a heart condition because one day after one of my supervisors nagged and ragged on me (my supervisors are very very tough), I got chest pains at work. Was sent to a cardiologist for tests. well, turns out my heart was just fine. So that fear went away. Now, I don't tend to have kidney or liver probelms, so frankly I didn't worry about those. So, yes, I get our fears about this whole thing.

I think you said you are telling yourself to just STOP when you overdo the worrying ... and that sounds really good to me. I tend to do that, too. I get exhausted from the what-ifs, so I just give up the ghost and say STOP.
It doesn't last forever, but it is some type of temporary relief.

My apologies for the sloppy, overly long response. It's just that I felt such a kinship with you when I read your thread. And I don't want you to think you're alone with all of these worries. You are not. You are just more aware of your feelings perhaps--as many many of us are--than some. But you are not alone. It is not weird or strange to worry about this stuff. It is not irrational, either. Especially if you have never had surgery. And if you've had insensitive clods in your life such as your former boss who invalidate not only your feelings but your actual pain. Being around people like that, especially people who are kind of in a power position, really can do a number on you. But you are so wise to have put your ex boss behind you! Really, that is the past, dead and buried. And you now have the freedom to approach this surgery and the recovery exactly at the pace you need to.

And again: the numbers are helpful: This is a hugely successful surgery. The stats for successes so high. I took great consolation in that. I hope you can too.

Please take care and if my too long response has not totally put you to sleep, feel free to ask me anything.

This time next month you will be on the other side!!!
 
Peaches Thank you SOO much for this response. I almost burst into tears when I read it. You got right to the heart of most all the stuff I am feeling. I've had anxiety issues for years and years, and had them mostly under control most of the time (I also take an antidepressant), but this hip thing has completely thrown me for a loop. I wasn't so bad when I could still get around a bit, but the pain got so bad I really cannot do much of anything on my own. Going to the doctor is a major undertaking. I can, with an effort of will, get to my GP on my own, but not the OS office -- big practice in a big adjunct building to the big hospital, way too much walking, can't park anywhere, etc. So my DIL goes with me and we get a wheelchair in the lobby.

I know EXACTLY what you mean by planning movement, even around the house. I have to figure everything I do (like take that doo-dad back to the kitchen since I'm going to the bathroom anyway). Dropped things are a problem, as you say, even with the grabber. I have all kinds of things I use -- I even have a little rake in my office room to corral stuff and then lift it up so I can grab it. If all else fails, I wait for my DIL. I have a package on my porch right now that I can't get, and it will stay there until tomorrow.

I am going to take your suggestion of going to paper plates. It's hard to keep up even using the dishwasher because it is so hard to bend down. I like your idea of not worrying about being green now (I'm not a big green person, anyway. I leave a couple lams on in the house because I sure don't want to trip over an dog laying across the hallway in the night, or something I've dropped.

Fortunately I have a good bit of freezer space, but I can't really stand long enough to do a lot of cooking ahead of time. I will probably stock up on some of those frozen dinners and just do that. I know fresh is better, but you have to do what you have to do. Take out stuff here is mostly hamburgers etc. and almost nobody delivery. Hard for me to get to the door anyway, because I have to go down two steps into my living room and two more up to the platform in front of the door. Even with the little wood ramp the kids put there for me, it is still hard to do and I don't do it unless I absolutely must.

I've figured out a way to feed my dogs so it isn't impossible, I just have to be very careful, or I'll dump the food out in the floor. Water is more of a problem, but I've figured out a way to manage that as well. I know I'm losing muscle, etc. by my inability to get around much, but I can't do anything about that.

I do wish I had done this sooner before it got SO bad, but I didn't, and can't do anything about that. I don't beat myself up about it, because I was doing the best I could with what I had to work with.

All that awfulness at my work wore me down psychologically and was extremely hard to deal with. After all those years there, I expected a bit of compassion from my boss. I am glad I quit, but in a way I miss the connection with the clients, other offices, etc. That will pass when I feel better and can do things again.

Now If I can get through this next week and that awful fear about the chest X-ray (I'm a smoker, trying to quit), I will be on my way soon. I scheduled the second one as soon as he said I could because the other hip is just about as bad (worse on X-ray but not worse as to pain) and I just want this over with. The longer it drags on the worse I get.

Using that walker has caused some of my abdominal muscles to complain. I really have to struggle to remain anywhere near upright. I feel like such a whiner, but this has been a lot to deal with.

Anyway sorry to ramble on so long, and thank for your compassion and support. It is just so hard to get old alone, and you forget how hard it is to do just everyday stuff.

Any tips you can give me are greatly appreciated!

Peace and love to you, and thank you again for your response.

Milli
 
A few words of encouragement from someone on "the other side". Had both hips done (two months apart) less than two years ago. Fully understand the FEAR mentioned here - I was scared $%*& before the first one, but it went well and I actually looked forward to the second one being done. I've been fortunate to have a successful outcome and the best part is being pain free. Sleeping, walking, stairs, are all good.

So - tell yourself that the fear is normal - and that you'll come out of it better off. Remember you have to work at your recovery though - doing the PT, icing & elevating, being patient, etc. but it's worth it.

Good luck to all here.

Kevin
 
Josephine Had my pre-op with the surgeon's PA today and he was kind of a debbie downer person. He told me I may likely never walk without a cane. He didn't say why, really, even though I asked him. Just that it is such a mess and I'm using a walker, etc. But don't they replace all that mess? And people on this forum who seem to be or have been in as bad or almost as bad shape as I am are walking around. Even people who are older than I am. What do you think is going on?

My surgeon then came in and told me (in a way that made it seem like VERY bad news) that he may have to use a cemented cup because my bones are "soft". i don't have osteoporosis (I have a bone scan that says I don't) but I do have osteopenia. The bone scan report says I'm not in the group of people who have it bad enough to medicate. He was otherwise hopeful and upbeat.

Should I care or be concerned whether it is cemented or uncemented??

I left feeling kind of shook up about it all.

Then I had to go down to pre-anesthesia and the took my blood pressure again and it had gone way up -- (what a surprise) --I'd just been told it was likely to have to use a cane forever after getting all built up about being able to walk normally again and wondering about the cemented/uncemented thing, and hanging around waiting rooms in pain. It had never been that high before (177/86). When I monitor it myself or at a health fair or something it sits around 125/65. In some doctors' offices it runs around 138/65. Anyway pre-admitting told me to call my doc and get on some blood pressure meds to get it down or they could not operate.

I'm waiting for my doc's office to call me back, and I can't decide whether to cry or throw up.
 
What do you think is going on?
I think your surgeon is a real nervous Nellie! don't take any notice of him. Neither you nor he knows what the outcome will be until after you've had the hip done. And you are right - there are plenty of bad hips done that turned out to be really good afterwards. And that does NOT mean you've got to kill yourself with PT to get it either. Most hips have a neat way of working themselves out in the long run and need precious little help from us to do that they do.
Should I care or be concerned whether it is cemented or uncemented??
Absolutely not! About 60% of all hips are done with cement. It's far and away the better implant fixation to use.
 
Hi Butterfly

Hmmm lovely day you had then????

Well here is my two pence worth ok.

My mum who is 91 has two cemented hips. She can pick things up off the floor !!!!! ( I can't) she has had them for 30 years one of them for 32 years. The other one was in a bad state. Her bone split with the replacement so they wrapped wire round it. The wire is still in there.!
It gave her no problems at all. Six weeks later she was walking with no cane !!!

So take heart that guy probably had a bad day !!!!

It's late I'm in bed so will catch up with you again.
I just wanted to ease your worry

Angie
 
Hang in there Butterfly....it's such a shame that your own medical people can't be positive for you but if they can't we WILL and you have to be too!!!!

As everyone has said ...there are plenty of remarkable stories out there.....you concentrate on getting that blood pressure down and relaxing....not long now and it really is much better on the other side!!! (I can actually say that now :egypdance: )

We are all here for you
 
Oh, @Butterflly, don't let that PA convince you that you won't walk without the cane. It may just take a little longer. I was an absolute mess before surgery-could barely walk to the kitchen and I was taking Percocet every six hours. I waited too long to book a date because I didn't want to do it before my son's wedding, as I didn't want to spoil it if something "went wrong." Then I had to wait another seven weeks after it. My glutes were totally flat on the operated side. It took me longer than most people on BS to dispense with the cane, but I did it after about three months. Walking back and forth in a pool really helped, cause you can work on your gait without stressing the hip, and build muscle. Please don't despair. And, your blood pressure was probably situational as you said. Please have your primary care doc check it again. It might be fine.
Take care of yourself.
 
Josephine Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I didn't really think the cemented issue mattered, but he said it in a way like he as saying he would have to amputate or something. And that Physician's Assistant (PA) was no help at all with my confidence. And the whole blood pressure thing -- I've had what my primary calls "white coat fever" forever, and now I"m scared to death we can't get it down. Primary told me to take it myself thru Thursday and then call him and he'll decide what to do.

According to what the OS office took and what the pre-anesthesia took, the blood pressure went up almorst 30 points in the time it took me to get from one office to the other. But even if it is stress related, what if they DO refuse to operate because it is up, and it WILL be that day, because I am scared and it's a hospital, etc.?

I'm just kind of emotionally fragile during this waiting time, and now feel so so discouraged.

Thanks again for your support.
 
Butterfly Here are a couple of techniques I have learned to handle anxiety during this process, other than the CDs we've discussed. There is also a suggestion on a way to deal with pain. Give them a try. I know it all sounds odd but I do find it helpful.

BI-LATERAL STIMULATION
* This technique stimulates both sides of the brain to stop anxiety.
* Grab a ball/apple/keys/water bottle and think of something that causes you anxiety.
(or it can be done in an actual situation when you experience anxiety)
* When you can feel that anxiety somewhere in your body, rate the level of it on a scale of one
to ten.
* Pass the ball back and forth, from one hand to the other, crossing the mid line. It will have
a more rapid effect if you keep one hand in front of you as the other swings out to the side
each time you pass the ball.
* After a minute of doing so, take a deep breath, and check in. You might notice that the anxiety
is reduced or dissipated. If there are some left, rate it once again on the ten to one scale and
repeat.
PAIN RELIEF & COLOR
* If you have an area of discomfort in your body, focus on it and ask yourself that if that area
were to have a color, what color does it fell like now?
Let’s say you came up with a color. Let’s say it’s dark green.
* The next question to ask yourself is what color would feel better (let’s say you came up with
pale yellow). As you get an answer to this question (the point is not to come with a consciously constructed idea, but to get a feel for what it is and what would it better be) and then
use your imagination to change the existing color to a better feeling one. And as the color
changes the sensations will change. Because the color is different and it has a very different
vibration and your mind responds to it. And allow yourself to notice the changing sensations,
as the color changes to pale yellow.
* The next thing to do is to go inside again and find out what texture would good around that
area (or being placed upon). As you get the answer, imagine wrapping the area in whatever
you came up with or placing it on top of it. Notice the changing sensations.

THE BACKWARD SPIN
One of the consistent things about anxiety and fear is that it’s a physical feeling in the body. It’s
always moving, and usually it’s moving too fast.
* Locate where you feel the anxiety moving in your body, and notice which way the feeling
spins. (It is often helpful to use your hand to model the direction of the spin.)
* Next imagine that you can move the spin outside of your body. In other words, it’s still spinning in the same way that you were feeling it before, but now it’s outside of you.
* Once you can feel it outside of yourself, reverse the spin (and the movement of your hand if
you’re using it). As you do this, imagine bringing the spin back inside your body, rotating in
this opposite direction. Notice how it feels different.
* Now, think of something funny and add some laughter to the spin because this will start to
change the chemicals and hormones coursing through your body.
* The next time you start to feel anxious, all you will have to do is notice the way it’s spinning
and reverse it.
 
@LeeApril 26. I am in the same mess before surgery as you were. I cannot go ANY distance, even a couple steps, without my walker, and I am so tired of being in pain, and imposing on others, even for the simplest things (getting groceries, bring that box in the house, etc). Bathing or showering is a study in pain and frustration, even with my shower chair. Bathroom is very small, which makes it even harder. I"m going to get the shower in my other bathroom fixed and maybe it will be easier back there. EVERYTHING becomes so complicated, as I'm sure you now. I have hydrocodone for pain, but it doesn't do much good. I'm just very discouraged right now. And now my knees are starting to hurt a lot on top of everything else and the blood pressure thing. And my stomach is very upset (it happens when I get anxious).

If they won't operate, I don't know what I will do!

Thanks for the suggestions for dealing with pain and anxiety, I will try them. I've tried a similar color one before without much success, but I should try it again. I am using the Belleruth Napperstek CDs. I got the Peggy Huddleston one, too, but I like the Belleruth Napperstek ones better. I actually got several of hers.

Peace and love, and thank you for your concern and support and caring.
 
Josephine So my DIL went and got me oneof thosse digital readout blood pressure monitors with the history feature. We took my blood pressure after they got here and it was 110/57 (which is about what I expect when I am NOT in a doctor's office). So I'll keep a record of it like I am supposed to, and call my PC doc on Thursday.

So I'm not really worried about my heart exploding any more, but how do you convince the admission people/anesthesiologist that even tho your reading might be high at the moment, it is fear? Could my PC doc write a note, or I take my record down to them at time of surgery, or what? I sure don't want to get on BP meds if I don't need them. From what that pre-anesthesia nurse saiad they base their decision to operat or not on the reading RIGHT THEN and nothing else. That doesn't make sense to me. Surely there are others in my same boat?? Even though I do not understand how a person's blood pressure can vary so widely in one day.

Just need reassurance, I guess -- I do NOT want to get there that day and be turned down after all this.

I feel like I am in Alice in Wonderland following the White Rabbit or something.

Thank you for your kind assistance.
 
Good morning, Butterfly ... I am very sorry for the turmoil the P.A., et al put you through. I know LeeApril26's and Josephine's suggestions will help you more than I can. But I do want to say that my own surgeon's P.A., who is a very nice guy, does tend to come up with these comments that have made me nuts too. One of them was insistence that I could go to work after two weeks if I truly "wanted" to. Anyway, all of the frustrations and complications you mention about just trying to get around are things I experienced completely. And I wasn't nearly as bad off as you are. So I understand your feelings. Things will get better after surgery. They will! I know you can't fathom that right now, but they will. As for blood pressure, mine also shot up and always situational. I think they *do* know it's situational. I'm sure they must encounter this all the time with people approaching this surgery.
"Hang in there" sounds so lame! But you will come out okay on the other side and life will get better. As for the cane, I don't remember when I gave mine up, but I did it when I was ready and not a second sooner. Despite commentary from know-it-alls. This forum is such a blessing, isn't it? NONE of this stuff is gone into by the OS, the PA, and all of their elves.
 
Peaches I guess it wasn't so much what that PA said (of course, I may never walk without a cane -- I may not get across the street alive the next time I try to cross -- there aren't any guarantees in life) but the way in which he said it, and all the other stuff. It just seemed like he was telling me the whole thing was futile. And my world cracked for a minute. I don't think they have any idea (or much care) how their words or demeanor affect the person who is suffering, can't get around, and has struggled so and jumped through all their hoops to get to the point where they are nearing the surgery. They just give you this bland smile and tell you absolutely nothing. I felt like I was getting the little 'ol lady brush-off. I may be a little ol 'lady, but I'm still a person!

The doctor was much more positive, but of course he didn't really tell me much of anything either. But I do know people who absolutely swear by him and his abilities and wouldn't go to anyone else.

My PC's nurse was much more sympathetic today, telling me that frequently a patient's blood pressure shoots up nearing surgery, especially when getting all the tests and OK for surgery. Feels kinda like a college entrance exam, only worse. She also assured me that my PC can do something to help it. They just want those home readings first. It is staying down here at home.

I don't know how you managed by yourself in a big city -- are you in New York? I think you mentioned subways, etc. It seems like it would be much harder to get around there with limited mobility. At least I can crip out to my car with my walker, grab onto the car and throw the walker in the back and drive up to the Walgreens drive-thru to get a prescription. But you couldn't do that in New York, could you? Even getting to and from the hospital must have been a major undertaking. It seems like it is here, too, but at least you can have someone drive you up to the front, dump you off and get you a wheelchair, go park , and come back for you.

I just wish I could shake this depressed feeling. I know I'll continue to have to sit around and do little or nothing right after the surgery, but at least then I will feel I am on the road to recovery.

Thank you for your help and concern!

Peace and love to you.
 
Dear Butterfly

I'm so sorry you came across another of those Fill The Patients With Fear merchants, who we have all experienced at one time or another. It's just as well they go into the world of medicine. They would never make car salesmen, that's for sure.

The fact that no one can predict the outcome of hip operations (or any operations, for that matter), is amply testified to in the columns of this forum. But what if the Voice of Doom were to be proved right, and you always need to use a stick. Would that be so awful? Using my stick never bothered me unduly. The only adverse thing I found about it was that when I could eventually do without, I had forgotten how to use my arms in a natural movement, and had to re-learn that skill. Other than that... I had to use a stick... So what?

I know there's a really fine line between joking and chivvying you along, as against seeming to belittle your fears: and I don't want to cross that line. But can you see the humour in this...?

Not that many weeks ago, you were terrified of having the op. Now you are terrified of not having it!

I am going away tomorrow, for a week. We are going to Devon, which is the next county to cornishhedge's Cornwall, in the UK's beautiful West Country. I'll check in on you on return, and hope to find you poised, calm, and in full Bring It On! mode.

Glynis
 
2003VETERAN Would it be too much to ask that you continue to pray for me through September 30 and beyond? I am so afraid my blood pressure will be up on that morning andf they won't do the surgery. I don't really have HBP, says my doc, but it goes WAY up when I get scared, like at the doctor's or hospital.

Thank you for your help.
 
Butterfly, when you get to preop, they will give you something to make you dopey. Maybe bp will come down then. I dont know...have no med background...probably shouldn't be talking. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
 
Oh my dear - I do wish we were closer. I have helped people get their BP down a lot by teaching them very simple relaxation techniques. I'm not a trained hypnotherapist or anything, these are just skills I have developed for myself but they do work. One lady had her BP go down about 25 points in 30 mins in a noisy room whilsst sitting in a hard office chair.
 
Thinking of you, Butterfly ... my BP shot up, too; had to make visits to my regular doc to have it monitored prior to surgery. She almost put me on medication, but did not. While in her waiting room to be checked out, I was listening to a "prepare yourself for surgery" tape. NOT one of the ones listed here on BS that have helped so many others. This was a cheesy one. The guy's voice was sooooooo slow and droned on and on in such a sleeeepy way, I started laughing uncontrollably. Belly laughs. It was like an unintentional comedy routine. By the time I got in to see my doc, she asked what was so funny, and I told her. Then she started laughing belly laughs. And after a few minutes I felt like this huge weight had been lifted. My BP was normal. Now, obviously, this is not going to work for everyone else necessarily. But it felt so darn good to just laugh.

I wish I could help you. I know so well how hard it is to wait. But you are almost there. And once you wake up from the surgery, that's it. Automatic relief about THAT part being over and done with. And it's a wonderful feeling to know you are on your way.

Just hang on as best you can. And just think, today is almost gone. And you are one day closer to this Long Wait being over.
 
Hi there Butterfly... I think you may recall my pre op condition.. On a walker for two years, leaning on my elbows, staring at people's shoes ( my there are a lot of dirty shoes out there :) )

I had an extremely complicated surgery and time in ICU and HDU.. Chronic I Kidney disease, suspected heart problems, suspected internal bleeder, on and on it went..

But guess what.... I was off the walker post surgery and at 22 months post now (with a very strong cemented hip) I am living life to the fullest.. Listen to Jo, it is true that hips have a neat way of looking after themselves..

p.s. I always get 'white coat syndrome' with my BP when I go to the Doc... We always take it two or three times to get to the real one :)

30 Sept is almost here... Keep coming here and we will help you get to the line and across it and onto a life with no walker :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom