Guest viewing is limited

THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally overdid it yesterday, so today is RREI (rest, relax,elevate, ice) day. I don't think it was any one thing but the combination of small things and ignoring the warning signs. I cleaned the cat boxes, put away dishes, and then decided to have my mom drive me to REI (farther than I am willing to drive right now) so I could buy new shoes (Keens!). That would have been ok, but then we decided to wander around the store and check out clearance items (nothing I was interested in). Somehow we got separated during the wandering and then tireds hit. I felt like going over to the camping section, grabbing one of their sleeping bags and pads and taking a nap. Instead, I sat down hoping my mom would wander by, no luck. Called her cell phone, no luck. Wandered around a bit, then went to the last place I remembered seeing her - there she was! Got in the car and went home. That was enough of a rest (so I thought), I decided I wanted to cook (what a dope! this why I bought nukable dinners - fast prep, no standing around). Finally ate and laid down with my ice, and hip swollen and stiff. More swollen than it has been in about a week or more. :headbang:

Iced and elevated all evening and all this morning. Things seem to be calming down and swelling back down, but will be taking it easy today. It is definitely a reminder to not be so task oriented and listen to my body, or it will *make* me listen.

In other news, it looks like I will be going back to work on the 17th of December, starting with 1/2 days and taking it from there. If I need it, those 1/2 days can be telecommute.
 
So glad to hear everything is going well for you. Each time I hear of another "victory" I actually begin to get excited about y upcoming THR. This time next week I will be lying in the hospital with the surgery behind me...hopefully! I wonder if I'll be able to at least get in a car to go look at some Christmas lights? I don't want to miss the whole season. Nerdgrrl - It will be a good time to cuddle up and watch some good old Christmas movies. I normally never seem to have time anymore for that. Perhaps in a small way this will be a blessing to us to be able to slow down and actually experience the Christmas season at a normal pace...not sure I have done that since I was a child! Wonderful holidays to all...rest Nerdgrrl!
 
Uh oh Nerdgrrl. Small doses, small doses... Now that you've got that out of your system I'm sure things will bounce back for you! So are keens some kind of hiking shoes? Haven't heard of them before...

:console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Nerdgirl, Isn't that the way, we start out ready to rock and roll and up doing to much. Our bodies sure let us know. It is kind of a good thing though that we feel our bodies warning which tells us to slowdown, else with my hard head I would end up doing something really over the top and cause damage
 
Forget all the other stuff---DID YOU GET the Keens? I love Keens, I have two pair of their water sandals for kayaking and canoeing, and I just bought a great pair of Keen hiking shoes. They're the best.

Seriously, Deb is right. Holiday movies, it is time for them. My favorite is "Love Actually." Anyone else?

I'm sure you'll feel great tomorrow, nerdgrrl. Are you excited about going back to work soon?
 
Sissy,

Yup adore Love Actualy. Hubby and I watch it several times. One of the true chick/d**k flicks he'll watch more than once. Also like The Holiday w/Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, and Jack Black.
 
I saw The Holiday when it first came out and haven't seen it since. Thanks for reminding me:)

One of our community theaters does a traditional version of A Christmas Carol, and I want to see that again this year, and our Orlando Shakespeare Theatre is doing The Farndale Ladies something or other (long title) Christmas Carol which should be really funny, and I'm going to that.
Just about to get into the Christmas mood:cheers2:
 
Oh Nerdgrrl, welcome to the "Overdid It" club. We are glad you have joined the rest of us. So, now you know what you have to do...rest, ice, elevate, and medicate. How about catching up on some movies this weekend? Kick of the month of December with It's a Wonderful Life.

Hope you bounce right back tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Tammy
 
Damn! "Its a Wonderful Life" is my all time favorite Christmas movie, and we have it on DVD, so I will start with that.

sissy46, yes I got the Keens! I wanted to replace the ones I have, but REI no longer carries that style. However, I am going to Portland, OR in January (I think) so I will stop in at the outlet there and stock up. Instead, I got a different style that I also like. These are casual leather shoes that I wear for work. I also have their low top and regular hikers. I don't have any of their sandals yet, but probably next summer...

dede62, Keen is a shoe company based in Portland. I find their shoes extremely comfortable and great for walking. They make what I would call casual leather shoes, hiking boots, low top hiking shoes, sandals, and bike shoes. Maybe more now.

DebB. thanks for the encouragement! You will be so glad when you have your surgery done! I am not sure if you will be up to driving around to see the lights after surgery. Maybe, maybe not. The best advice I got when I asked a similar question about Thanksgiving was not to count on it, and then be pleasantly surprised if I could go to a friends for dinner. I look forward to seeing your posts over here. :)

bellaroma you are totally right. If I didn't have my body telling me to calm down a bit, I probably would have done something really dumb by now. Well, or dumber than I already have done. ;P
 
I just this week got a pair of Keen Alamosa hiking shoes. They feel wonderful, and they were on sale. I've been wearing them everywhere the past few days and will be hiking with them today.

The sandals are wonderful; they protect your toes and are sooo comfortable. I have two pair of the water sandals and when I find them on sale will get some regular ones, too. You're lucky to have a nearby outlet.

So---how are you this morning?
 
I'm going to have to check out these things you call Keen's. If they come so highly recommended by my fellow Warriors, I'm thinking we should ask the company to sponser us :)

How are you feeling today Nerdgrrl?
 
Nerdgrrl, definitely need to check out the Keens... wonder if theiy're on Zappos.com....

I finally had to get on my computer (had to pay the bills)... here's a pic of my buddy Junior (with his big brother Bullet). Sadly both are gone, but not in spirit. I swear he could be Katie's cousin or uncle!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
    Curled Up 5.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 98
I concur. What gorgeous fur-babies they were.
 
Just dropped by to see how your doing. Sounds like things are good. Im very happy that your feeling well enough to over do it. Just be careful. I will be over here with yall in ten days. Enjoy those movies, i always want to see national lampoons Christmas vacation. Hate to say it but thats my favorite Christmas movie.
 
My guilty little secret: I love A Christmas Story.
 
Hope you are having a good weekend, Nerdgirll. My favorite Christmas Movie is the 1954 Christmas Carol, but I love all the variants too, from Scrooged, to Mr magoos
dede62, what handsome dogs
 
Nerdgrrl...where are you? Hope everything is going well for you.
 
I'm back! I was just exhausted yesterday. Didn't sleep enough Friday night, and then had trouble napping. Meant I was plum wore out yesterday. I ran a couple errands (pet store and French bakery), walked 1/4 mile on flat ground, tried to nap, and went to bed early and slept late. Today, I am refreshed, showered, and my swelling back to where it was before my overdoing incident. Anyway, that resulted in low online time yesterday. I think I have discovered that I need some moving around to keep the swelling down/blood moving, but not too much. The trick is finding the sweet spot.

dede62 - Keens are great, but I would recommend trying them on at a brick and mortar store before buying, so you know which models fit you well. I have a wide-ish toe box and narrow heel, so I find the lace up ones work best for me (rather than slip on). Plus some of their models run wide and some run a little narrower.

Junior and bullet are soooo, cute! You're right Junior looks like he could be related to Katie. The extra long ears are especially German Shorthair-ish. Too bad they can't meet!

bellaroma - I like the Christmas Carols as well, especially Mr. Magoo! Do they even show that any more? I should see if I can find it on DVD.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom