THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi hip-hip! Thanks for dropping by. Sounds like you are doing really well.

Yes, I have found that icing after activity really helps, especially new activity. I was feeling fine after, but then the next day I would really feel it if I didn't ice. I don't need to ice the hip so much after workouts and regular activities, but if I do something new, or bump up mileage, I just go ahead and ice. Especially hiking - it's a big change from walking paths to the uneven terrain of a trail. I figure it can't hurt, and usually helps. I have to do that for my bad knee anyway, so I might as well ice the hip. I have lots of colpacs :)

Also, My doc said there is still healing going on up until a full year out, so if I am increasing activity to try to ramp up to it rather than doing a sudden increase. Makes sense to me.

Good luck with the hiking! We've had a beautiful summer, haven't we?
 
First time I have logged in for months. I recognized your pics of the Twin Falls hike. It's great so many folks are doing so well. I am almost 7 weeks post op and doing great. I can do so much more with no pain.

I do have a quick question - I walked 4 miles Saturday and hiked Sunday (Twin Falls). Today I have mild groin pain today. I took some Advil but it sounds like I should be icing after new activitites (even though I felt fine when I got home). Any thoughts?
Its only 7 weeks out so rest ice elevate and advil if you need it. I know its hard to take it easy, try not increase activity anymore untill you can do so without any pain, and try not to do too much two days in a row. It will get easier but the aim is to increase activity gradually without the pain.
 
I said 7 weeks but meant 7 months - big difference I know. Up until Friday I mostly walked, exercised in the pool and swam for exercise. My progress has been slow but steady. This last weekend was just seeing what I could do and I am pleasantly surprised. I plan on hiking with a friend on Thursday and plan to ice. Thanks for your encouragement.
 
It's hard to listen to your body I know but you are 3 months behind me and in far as healing goes its a huge amount of healing and settling down my body has come further than yours. Once I took it easier I've been amazed how much further I can go. If I need painkillers or ice or a warm pack then that's what I do and go easy for a bit. The physio exercises I tend to do everyday.
 
Well, my one year anniversary has come and gone and I have yet to post. I'm happy to say it was because I've been busy and I wanted to have a decent spot of time to write.

The readers digest version: my hip is doing really well and my knee is hanging in there.

Longer version: My hip joint is doing really well, no issues with the prosthesis and I really can't tell that it is there. However, as I have been more active, my chronic hamstring/glute issues have cropped up. Yet again the sins of my youth have come to revisit me. :shocked: We took a look at my MRI from last year, and sure enough the report indicated that I had mild to moderate tendinosis in the high hamstring. It was the least of my issues at the time, but now I need to address it. Basically my issue has been that as soon as I get more active my butt gets sore. So, I am starting some physical therapy specifically for the high hamstring and glutes, which are probably still under developed. If that doesn't work, I may try a new therapy with platelets that is supposed to re-stimulate healing. That would not be covered by insurance, so PT is definitely the way to go first (not to mention it is less invasive!) One hint the doc gave was when I am cycling (stationary), not to use a toe clip as the upward motion put strain on the hamstring (this is only until the hamstring is less sensitive)

Otherwise, I have been doing well and hoping this resolves soon so I can get out snowshoeing and cross-country skiing by Christmas. I have still managed a few shorter hikes and walks, and yard projects. My SO is also having some major knee problems (no TKR, but some cartilage damage due to a heretofore undiscovered birth defect that was magnified by overuse), so we have decided to take proper kayaking lessons in the spring. We have been on guided trips, but we would like to get out on our own more. Since we will be in Puget Sound with its cold water and shipping lanes, it behooves us to take lessons and know what we are doing. I find I am really looking forward to it! I may even try Standup Paddleboarding (SUP) in the summer.

On the knee front, changing my diet and wearing my unloader brace have really helped!:dancy: (for those not following the thread in detail I have some known food sensitivities that I was a bit in denial about). It is not pain free but it is mostly only painful after walking or standing for extended periods of time. This is the sort of pain level that I am used to (have had it for years) and icing usually takes care of it. I am hoping that I can maintain this for a few more years to put off the inevitable TKR. Don't worry, I'll know when the time is right, but I know that the time is not now.

Thanks to everyone for their support! I was just thinking that at this time last year I was still pretty housebound and it was so great to have e-friends to hang out with! BS warriors (bellaroma , Damn! , dede62 , sissy46 , Cookie42 ), Poppet
 
I'm so glad your new hip is great but sorry about the hamstring tendonitis. Nuisance!
Snowshoeing and cross country skiing sounds wonderful, if only snow weren't cold. You live in a beautiful area for kayaking and you've done it enough to know you'd like it.
Lots of good times coming up---glad we're friends on FB, I enjoy your posts.
 
Congratulation @nerdgirl. :) what an awesome report! I love cross country skiing too. I've done it a couple of times overseas but I'm told we have some really good trails here too. Summer has finally arrived here and I'm looking forward to going to the beach a lot this year, and being pain free! This weekend I'm helping my mum settle into her new house, two hours north of where I live. It's a lovely friendly community and only a couple of minutes walk from the beach. We went three time yesterday! Feels like being on holiday, even though we're working hard. Enjoy your kayaking!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
@nerdgirl! Sounds like life is smiling on you, and you are enjoying yourself. Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Hello everybody! It's been an age since I last posted. Hope you are all hipping along nicely. I had an email reminder that nerdgrrl had posted on the forum and was surprised to read about your glute discomfort as I have been having the same thing. I do regular keep fit exercise class and walking but the longer I walk the tighter my back buttock becomes. I'm going for my one year check up with the hospital so I'm going to mention it to them and see what they say as I'm getting a bit fed up of having to fall back on using a stick.

But I've had a magic holiday to visit my sister in Bunbury, Perth, Australia. We went for a month and it was terrific, took so many photos'. Three days in Singapore and three in Dubai too.

Are we all getting ready for Santa? We are here in the 'Heath, all the other Hobbits are lighting up their cottages :shocked:
 
Hi Pugfugly! Sorry to hear you are having similar pain in the butt issues! If it is any help, I have found through massage at the physical therapist that it is the very top of my hamstring where the ham and glute both attach to the sit bone part of the hip. Unfortunately, this a really hard area to stretch and self-massage, even the tennis ball has a hard time getting at it. I *am* glad to know where the problem is and that I am not imagining that it is hard to fix. It is slooooowly improving, but it is improving! Good luck with your appointment.

We set a record and actually got our lights up the day after Thanksgiving (so Nov 29 for all you non-Americans). Usually we are late and get them up just a week or two before Christmas. We leave them up until my birthday in early January, though, so it works out. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom