THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nerdgrll, an inflatable cushion is just the thing. Thermarest makes a good, tough one, and I also have one from LL Bean that I use behind my back sometimes in the kayak. They pack away to nothing and are there when you need them.
Have fun at the game tomorrow. You are doing so great! Smart to take it easy one day when the next day is going to be active.
 
awesome! enjoy the game, congrats on the walk! you should be fine for the game,
the soft cushion would be highly recommended!
gonna have to get myself one of them!
they have these new ones, with memory foam and gel, i wonder if they
are worthwhile?
 
Nerdgrrl, enjoy the game today and be sure to give us an update on how things went for you.

Have fun!
 
OMG you couldn't have picked a better fan game to go to! I hope you had a good time!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
 
OMG, that was a blast! We started out by getting there a little early and checking out the "Touchdown Zone" an area in the exhibition hall next to the stadium. They have all sorts of games and activities set up, and entertainment, and large screens set up with games being shown. We just wandered a bit and then got a burger and a beer. If I go again, we will definitely show up way earlier and partake in some of the activities, and maybe get our faces painted!

Seats were good - down low but still a good view of the field and still in the covered area, so did not get wet from the mist. Game was a total blowout! 58-0 :yay: Even so, it was still exciting. Especially to be able to see the play develop from different angle than on TV. Almost like being on the field, but a lot safer! Hip felt pretty good for the whole game. I got up at half time and one time between quarters and walked around. Then we walked to the Water Taxi, which goes from a few blocks away from the stadium to West Seattle, closer to where I live. Well, earlier in the season they were having special weekend runs on game weekends, but not now. So, there went 6 blocks of walking I didn't need to do. So called SO who was going to pick us up at the water taxi and said we'll start walking back towards the stadium and towards home and you can pick us up. So, 8 more blocks of walking and there was my car. So got the game in, got the walking in. The sitting at the game went fine - I think the many times I had to stand up and cheer helped reduce the stiffness- I am actually serious about that.

I'm a little stiff at home, but soon to be icing. I'll see how I feel tomorrow, but hopefully it will be pretty good. I *am* definitely tired, but a good tired :)
 
cnydutch, I had gotten a memmroy foam and gel cusion at Costco, before my surgery and it works great, right after the surgery needs a little thicker pillow, but I would definetly recommend it
 
OMG I am so jealous...and amazed that you went to the football game! :yay: What an accomplishment! I can't believe its your first game, I have been a KC Chiefs fan since I was a little girl. Living in Texas I miss a fall football day, tailgating and all. Yes I know the Cowboys are here, not the same...I had an emormously long day Sat and paid the price, but it sounds like you breezed through the gameday adventure! Sounds like you are really doing well. I had to drool at the pastries, bread is my temptation, I have to admit I got a loaf of jalapeno cheese bread at the farmers market and it is going fast...
 
So far so good today. Not feeling too fatigued. I do need to go to Costco, but that will count as my walking today, or maybe I'll use an electric cart. Other than that, I'm doing some small chores around the house, but taking lots of breaks. I have to clean for the cleaner! One of the best things I did was find a Groupon for three cleaning visits by a professional cleaner. They came right after Thanksgivng, are coming tomorrow, and Christmas eve. All we have to do is get any clutter items out of the way. Really takes the stress down a notch for me, and keeps me from doing those things too much.

@HippiShani - well it is just my first pro game. I grew up at Notre Dame (faculty brat), so I went to plenty of big time college games. I can't believe I waited this long to go to a pro game, though! I will definitely go again some time.

I definitely felt like a normal person. I did have a Doh! moment, though. These days they "wand" you before allowing you into a big event like that. I was being wanded and had emptied out my pockets, etc, and they kept asking about my right pocket. I pulled it out to show it was empty, and they were ok because the signal wasn't too strong I guess. I had rain pants on, so I think they decided it was the zipper. I totally forgot to mention that there is a big chunk of metal in my hip! I was all primed for airport issues, but momentarily forgot entering the stadium. Doh!:rolleyes: I am still adjusting, I guess.
 
that's great! the thought that you forgot about your new hip going thru security!
the game must have been amazing! too bad you had to walk that extra few
blocks, but, it sounds like you fared ok!
 
Does that constitute the first forgotten hip moment? :loll:

Glad you're feeling OK after all of the walking you did yesterday. :yahoo:
 
Yay, forgotten hip! But you missed a golden opportunity to flash your scar at them:giggle:
 
Not sure if it was a "forgotten hip" moment or a "too much beer" moment :cheers: The funny thing was I had my cane in my hand, so I am leaning towards the "too much beer"

sissy46, I had so many layers on, I think it would have taken me an hour to try to flash them! I actually dressed a little too warmly, but that is waaaay better than being too cold. I think I felt all my winter expedition gear needed to get at least one use this season, so it doesn't get lonely.

I spoke to my boss yesterday, and we realized that basically I am going to work a few half days (or possibly a longer) next week, then use up my vacation days (use 'em or lose 'em!). So I won't be doing any intense work until the new year, which is fine by me. It turns out my brother and nephew will be coming for Christmas and New Years, so that works out well. Now I'm trying to figure out some good activities to do with a painfully shy teenager, that are moderate on the walking side for me. He is fine with folks he knows, but has a really hard time with new people.
 
Are there any interesting attractions you can take them to? sightseeing? museums?
super-malls?
too much beer huh, hmmmm,,, i've been very careful on how much i have had
to drink, (which is not normal for me!) when we have been out, i'm pretty much
limited to 2 or 3. I have found i am not having any at home, unless we have a
wing nite type of dinner..... can't have wings without beer!
:cheers:
 
So Nerrgirll, you actuall had no limp it was all the beer. Jury is still out whether that was a forgot the hip mement, but lets celebrate anyway, you got to see you first pro game, was comfortable and made it back home. What does your nephew like to do, that will be fun for him, but easy on your hip?
 
I know Seattle is full of great things to do, especially for outdoorsy types. Will he have to socialize a lot with people he doesn't know, or will he be mostly enjoying time with family. I feel sorry for shy teens. Tammy might have some ideas.

Your return to work plan sounds excellent, easing back in.
 
CRUD I just lost my post..... :hairpulling:

So Nerdgrrl, must have been some tailgate party! Amazing what cheaper beer will do to you!! Or was it some really good beer on tap! Maybe it as the 1st beer in how long??? :beer:

So quite a few years ago my husband's 16 yo nephew came out from the East Coast to visit. It was his first plane ride but I think his Mom was going to have a nervous b/d he was travelling alone. He was totally excited! So we ended up going up to Vancouver Canada and decided to have lunch at Hooters. At first being the polite young man he was he couldn't believe we were taking him there (partly shocked that I was OK with it) , he was pretty quiet but we really had a fun time. The picture with the Hooters' girls was so fun - of course he was able to show all his friends, but we initially kept that one from Mom! We also did almost every touristy thing here - Bite of Seattle, Space Needle, EMP, Deception Pass, and his absolute favorite, Northwest Trek. Lots to do, that's for sure...
 
Nerdgrrl! Sounds like you had a blast. You will have to go much earlier next time so you can tailgate and get in a game of Corn Hole or two.

How old is your nephew? I may be able to toss out a couple of suggestions for what entertains teenagers. A trial subscription to NetFlix comes to mind. You can usually pick up a 1 month trial membership pretty cheap. This way you will have something for everyone to watch.

I have always found that after a gruelling work out at the gym, Day 2 was worse for me. So, let us know how you feel tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom