THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tammy,

The RV and walkie talkie outing is so awesome! :dancy: It's been a long time since I ventured out on BF as I'm not a huge fan of crowds but I could get over it if I had a group to experience it with. I'm more of a window shopper which totally baffles my husband. His idea of shopping is researching everything online, map out the plan of stops and get in and out as quickly as possible. He does very litle of the shopping bu hen he came to Costco with me, more things were in the basket than were on the list!

Better check with DMV to see if your daughters need a license to drive the wheelchair! :rotfl: Glad no spillage occurred! Remind them they have precious cargo onboard.
 
Dede, believe it our not, I am not much of a shopper either. This is really the one and only time all year I do it up big. I think it is the competitiveness of it that I like. Some years we challenge ourselves with a dollar amount. For example, one year we all agreed to see who got the most stuff, the best deals, etc. without spending more than $250. Other years bring different challenges. In case you couldn't tell, I am a bit competitive. It I am going to do it, I might as well do it right. But I really just enjoy spending the time with family and friends. After Black Friday, you won't catch me anywhere near a WalMart or a Mall to save my life.

I think the girls got their wheelchair licenses out of a Cracker Jack box :what:. No danger of me falling out though, I was holding on for dear life...when I wasn't laughing my butt off at them. I am proud to say that I count my daughters (and my son's for that matter) among some of my best friends.

Spending a relaxing Sunday just sitting/lying around in the recliner watching t.v., petting the fur-babies and generally making a nuisance of myself to my family :yahoo:. I deserve it. I have been there for all of them. Through knee surgeries, broken hearts, female issues, boy trouble, you name it. I'm soaking it all up. Once in a while, I wait until they have reached the top step going upstairs to their rooms and then call them back downstairs to pick something up or to get me another drink.....tee, hee...giggle, giggle. Not often, but enough to make myself laugh. Shhhhh... don't tell anyone.

Tammy
 
:martini:

Hubby and I have both walkie talkies plus our phones. I have an awesome set of bells that used to hang near our front door of my childhood home to let us know when someone was coming or going. They are pretty loud and that's why hubby doesn't like them much. Should he have a momentary lapse in arrival time I might have to get them. After all he's threatening me with a bonk of a wooden spoon if I choose not to listen to him. I guess it's his way of getting through my thick stubborn head. Of course I haven't given him an opportunity to use it.

:heehee:
 
I'm going to suggest, too, that he copy some of the articles that Josephine wants everyone to read, to give to those who aren't. Such a great source of vital information.
That's fantastic, Sissy. But I do hope that anyone who does this makes sure that BoneSmart is given credit for the copyright.
 
nerdgrrl; how are you doing today? Hope all is well with you.

dede62; how your husband feels about those bells of yours is how mine feels about a cuckoo clock I picked up in Germany. Every time it goes off he cringes a little bit. I love it though so it stays.
 
Tammy,

I think I remember you mentioning the scarguard in pre-op. I'm going to add it to my shopping list and ty it out.

Damn Bandit is a cutie!!! Everytime I hear french bulldog I think of Modern Family and Gloria yelling "Stella! Ooh no, da gait!"
 
I'm going to suggest, too, that he copy some of the articles that Josephine wants everyone to read, to give to those who aren't. Such a great source of vital information.
That's fantastic, Sissy. But I do hope that anyone who does this makes sure that BoneSmart is given credit for the copyright.


I agree!!! Why not suggest that he write the web site address across the top of any articles he prints and distributes. That way, if someone DOES decide to go online, they will have the BoneSmart address handy.
 
That's a great idea Jamie.

Thank you dede62, our little frenchie is certainly handsome. He is super friendly and loves having company. He thinks that every time the nurse or PT comes to the house they are here to see him. The nurse will have me lay on the couch so she can change the dressing, and he will come stand on his hind legs and put his front paws on the couch and stare intently at what she is doing. Once in awhile he will lay his head in her lap while she works. She has already offered to "babysit" him if we ever need it. He is such a little ham.
 
Well, our excursions yesterday certainly cured me of any Black Friday ambitions! We didn't end up at the computer store Saturday due to some dawdling and then deciding to go to the local microbrew pub for a little while with friends. I had one beer, then switched to herbal tea. It was a very nice visit and good to get out somewhere other than the store. We went home when I started to feel my hip swell. Time to ice and elevate!

So yesterday, I dug out my swimsuit and discovered all the elastic bits are degrading. time for a new one so i can do my hydrotherapy. We went to the computer store and got the NetBook we had been eyeing, plus added some RAM to make it "perfect". Did NOT also buy the really marked down MacBook Air ( soooo tempting, but not in the budget). Then went to a local restaurant for lunch. So glad I brought my seat cushion that I found at Pier 1. Then we went to the swimsuit store. They were having a half off sale on the style of suit I wanted, so I bought two - swollen hip size and back to normal size :). Swollen hip size will also be good for other water activities where I want a little looser suit.

Anyway, that was a *ton* of activity, and a lot of sitting, which is still tiring. Came home, ate leftovers for dinner and pretended to watch football while I took a nap with ice and elevation on the couch. Today will be pretty low key, stay at home, although the hip is feeling better now that it is rested. The weather is our typical end of November storm. It is raining so hard that the street lights have come on during the day.

Busy, busy weekend by my new standards, but now to a more sedate week. :yawn: , or partial week. I'm saving my energy to attend a concert on Saturday at Benaroya hall (our local symphony hall). I bought the tickets almost 7 moths ago when hip surgery was not even close to being on the agenda.
 
Oh, also forgot to mention, that In the hospital told my surgeon that I was being careful to "keep my toes above my nose". He hadn't heard the phrase before, i told him I learned it here. He said he was going to check it out, although who knows, the guy is so busy. OTOH, he seems to have a tremendous amount of energy, so maybe he will.
 
I graduated myself to the cane yesterday. :egypdance: I am pretty much walking around the house, but the cane reminds me to use good form, plus it is there if I get tired. Might try the stationary bike for ROM today ( was suggested by PA), probably just a short 5 min jaunt.

I live on a steep hill, so I am debating the best time (how to know i am ready) to try walking on my street. It is probably 50 yards of hill until I get to the connector street that is pretty flat. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
 
nerdgrrl Do you have to go uphill or downhill to get to the connector street. I'm guessing you'd be walking down since you said you live on a hill. How about starting with going part way and then back to see how up and down hill feels. Personally, I could go up and down stairs all day and not feel a thing but walking flat I'm still stiff at first. Every body is different. I've found when I'm trail walking that a slight incline either up or down feels better than flat, too.
 
Nerdgrrl or should I call you Lucky girl? Glad to hear you are transitioned over to the cane! Even though it gets better each day, I'm not quite there yet. :-( Good news is that I'm not in any rush at this point but look forward to ditch the walker.

Do you have a deck or a patch of yard not on a slope you can navigate? Possibly a long hallway? Got any outings that you can just walk around like a bigger store with lots of aisles?

Sounds like you're dong great!
 
sissy46, I am up the hill from the connector street. Good idea to try part of it.

dede62, good ideas but no flat areas of yard. We have a great view, living on a hill, but no real flat areas of yard. I have one hallway that is kind of long but not really. Trying to find things I can do that don't involve driving to get there, but maybe I am stuck with that for a little while longer.
Today is my first day home alone, so who knows what kind of trouble I'll get into :angel: 5 min on bike (no resistance) went well. A little stiff at first, but then fine. Kind of like sissy's walking, I think. I'll wait until someone is home before tackling the hill, or part of it. By then it will probably be pouring again and my desire to walk outside will be significantly diminished.
 
nerdgrrl, you are doing awesome, just thinking of hills gives my pre-op flashbacks, as going up steep hills would sink me and toward the end, I couldn't really do them. Sorry you seem to be having some bad weather, you're on a hill so no flooding right?
 
bellaroma, correct, no flooding at my house, although there is some at the bottom of the hill. No homes there, mostly light industrial and open space, since it is tide flats/waterway at the bottom and then green belt part way up the hill.
 
nerdgrrl, you could always try the mall, or, if your schools are on holiday this week, the high school track is an excellent place to practice walking. The tracks are usually rubber-coated, so they are relatively "soft" if something should happen. The bleachers are another great exercise location as you could practice walking up and down. Typically the steps are pretty wide so you could practice alternating feet. Just a thought. I have made use of the local high schools here when running, teaching the kids how to drive, etc.

I am so excited (and a bit jealous) that you are already on a cane! Good for you! I can not wait to join you. Keep up the great work.

Tammy
 
nerdgrrl:

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving meal (I'm imagining the seafood ceviche, mmmmm)

How are you doing with the cane? The PT has me using one crutch when going up and down the stairs rather than the cane. He thinks its a little more stable and I've had some experience with the crutches. I may use that in the kitchen rather than the walker for our cooking lessons.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom