THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nerdgirl, your Theo reminds me of my Percy, light orange tabby cat. I'll bet he's not prissy like Bellaroma's kitties, either---he'd clean up that egg right off the floor, wouldn't he?
I'm glad you're doing so well.
 
Nerdgrrl it sounds like things are progressing very nicely for you. I can picture your grabber in that back pack...very funny image. What a great idea though....might have to borrow this idea from you as well. I have been using my grabber to play with the pups. They will bring me a toy and I will pick it up with the grabber and then throw the toy for them. They will keep it up as long as I am willing to do it. Our latest game is I try to grab their tails with it and they spin around and run through the house and come right back for me to do it again. It is hilarious to watch them.

Hope you aren't doing too much! Xena...now there was a girl I idolized growing up.

Thanks for the memories.

Tammy
 
Nergirl, we are all tough and just remember the grabber makes a great warrior accessorie, but those elbow crutches, boy can they give a wallop Hope you are feeling better today and resting.
 
Nerdgrrl

Just checking in to see how you're getting along...hope all is well and you're getting lots of rest.

I wanted to attach a pic of my last dog who could be related to your Katie but it won't upload through my phone. Whn I cwn ge o the computer I'll send it.
 
So I just had a couple big days. Yesterday, I took a shower (!) standing up (!) with the shower chair there for backup. Then after a rest we went out for a brief Target excursion. Those electric carts are harder to drive than I thought! It was a beautiful day, so then we grabbed a quick bite ( takeout) and drove over to a park an ate lunch in the car with a view of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. Then we came home and I relaxed.

Today I went for my first follow up with the OS. Staples came out (yay!). Xray looks good. I have been having some moderate mid-thigh pain, which I suspected was from the bone. It is. The PA explained that I have a snug fit on the lower part of the implant which is good but can cause some pain in that area early on until the bone-knitting is more complete. I was also having butt pain which was confusing me because I had the anterior approach. PA said probably due to some muscle cramping/stretching of one of those muscles (she told me but name now forgotten). All in all good news!
 
Wow! Staples out already! I am so jealous. I had half of mine taken out yesterday (15) and the other half will be removed on Monday, which is two weeks for me.

Isn't the shower grand??? Love my showers. What a beautiful setting to have lunch in. Do you have any photos of the area to share with us?

I have found the scooters at Target to be ok on the comfort side, but really slow. The Commissary at MacDill AFB has the best scooters around. You can adjust the speed from Tortoise to Hare. You know I set it to Hare and dare the family to keep up with me.

I had an outing to a restaurant today called Square One Burgers. Delish! But a bit expensive. Dinner for 4 with no alcoholic beverages was about $70. For burgers! But worth it once in awhile as they are the best burgers I have ever had. My 10 year old grandson loves the buffalo (yes, buffalo) burgers.

Do you have plans for a big Thanksgiving? I'm really going to miss the craziness of Black Friday shopping. This is a national holiday for me and my daughters. We do the whole overnight shopping extravaganza. We make up a game plan, complete with walkie-talkies for communication and divide and conquer.

Have a great weekend.
Tammy
 
Oh Tammy, you made me smile with your comment....

'We do the whole overnight shopping extravaganza. We make up a game plan, complete with walkie-talkies for communication and divide and conquer'.

I can just picture this! Lots of fun, but do take care, don't go too fast in that scooter :)
 
Thanks Poppet, I will be sure to keep the speed down. Maybe :) This year's Black Friday shopping trip is going to be severely curtailed as I'm not up to racing against the crowd.

nerdgrrl, how are you doing today? Hope all is well and you are feeling better. Let us know how you are doing.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Tammy
 
Damn! Doing great! We are planning an excursion to the computer store for a new laptop, so I am excited. It's a smallish store, so should be ok. Also, I am down to one crutch! Probably will switch to the cane soon, but just changing one thing at a time.

We will be having a low key Thanksgiving, just us, and my mom. We decided to order food from a fancy restaurant, so it will be a tasty feast with minimal work. Your Thanksgiving sounds like fun!

Sorry you won't be able to do your usual Black Friday commando raid! But I think you are right, better to avoid the racing crowds. I bet you will still find a way to make it work. I am more of an online shopper myself, but I can see the appeal of a group trip to scope out and conquer the bargains.
 
Nerdgrrl

Glad to hear you've transitioned to a single crutch. Be aware as you head out in publc because there are a lot of people oblivious to what's happening around them, so practice your defensive crutch skills.

Thanksgiving sounds yummy! I decided to get everything ahead of time and I'll give hubby some guidance. Got a turkey breast roll that he can put right in the roasting bag with vegs) and no worries about basting. I should be downstairs next week, so I can make the stuffing while watching tv the night before. I've also got a yummy pumpkin dessert he can easily put together and we don't have to worry about a pie crust.

Enjoy your outing!
 
sissy46 Theo would totally eat the eggs and then bat the shells all over the house. We would then find them in some very strange place and wonder what happened. He is also our in-house gravity tester (or potential energy remover). It's a good thing he's cute, and when he does decide to snuggle has a very loud purr.

dede62 No kidding on the oblivious! I noticed that at Target the other day. I was driving an electric cart and people would just walk and stop right in my path. Luckily I didn't hit any of them, as Damn! said they have very slow carts. It would have hurt them more than me, but no so much on the crutches. Hadn't really considered the fact that with one crutch I no longer have protection on the "tender" side. Good warning! Your thanksgiving meal sounds good! We decided to splurge and order from Salty's. I think they hooked my mom with the seafood ceviche. She lived for quite a while in the Midwest and desert southwest. Now that she has moved to Seattle, she is making up for a vast fresh seafood deficit.

-nerdgrrl
 
I love reading your posts back and forth between each other, you have formed such a good bond and the way you are supporting each other is wonderful.

I had that with quite a large group just over twelve months ago, surgical buddies become cyber friends for life often.

Fantastic, love it, and you are all doing so well :) nerdgrrl; Damn!; dede62; sissy46; bellaroma;

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
 
Poppet I was telling my OS yesterday about how much I've enjoyed meeting fellow hippies on this website. He liked the idea and took down the link to give to other patients.
dede62 and Damn! if anyone gets in your way when you're scootering, just run 'em down. More business for our good surgeons:)
 
dede62, and Damn! the trick is to push the scooter full throttle and then use the crutch to clear your path. I was using ! cruth quite awile before surgery and you need to always be looking out for folks, when I would see someone coming who was not paying attention, I would put my good side toward them and move the tip of the crutch out a bit, so then they would first hit the cruth that was secured and I was safe.
nerdgrrl, have fun finding your computer and Theo sounds a bit like my Shane as he will tap an item on the table then watch it fall, we call him Sir Isacc Kitten based on his gravitational studies
 
Thanks Poppett. These ladies have certainly provided me with some much needed companionship, encouragement and sympathetic "ears." They have made this time in my life so much easier, and for that I am eternally grateful.

All of your Thanksgiving plans sound so yummy. I can see the benefit of ordering in some delicious dinner. No fuss, no muss. But there is something to be said for homemade and lots of leftovers. Whichever way have your meal, I'm sure it will be really good and full of assorted blessings.

The girls and I are going to try and make it out for a bit of shopping during the day on Black Friday. No overnight craziness for us this year. We will certainly make up for it next year. Maybe it will be the year we rent another RV. About 12 of us rented a huge RV for Black Friday shopping. It was so nice. We had a place to make coffee, hot chocolate, use the bathroom and store all of our purchases. It was so much fun. We each chipped in about $50 for the overnight rental and then another $20 for gas. It was worth every penny.

Thanks for spending Saturday evening with me!
Tammy
 
Damn! what an amazing idea, renting an RV for Black Friday. I NEVER do Black Friday---usually do my shopping online and go paddling a lot during the busy holidays, but that RV makes it sound almost like fun!
 
Jolly good regarding your surgeon's interest in BoneSmart - thank you for that sissy :)

I am working on my surgeon, who has the largest practice of surgeons in my city.. fingers crossed for me :)
 
sissy46, the RV makes Black Friday shopping a blast! It is the ulitmate "girls night." We enjoy the challenge of finding great sales and being together. Our tradition starts with picking up at least 4-5 copies of the newspaper early Thanksgiving morning. We then eat an early dinner, about 2:00pm or so. Then, after everything is cleaned up, we move into the family room. Each of us is armed with a newspaper, pad and pen. We each grab the same circular and go through it one page at a time. If there is something there that one of us wants, we each make a note as to the size, color, etc. Once we have gone through all the advertisements, we determine which stores we are going to hit and in which order. Careful consideration is given to what time the store opens, how many items we want from the store and where it is in proximity to the other stores on our list. We take the time to make sure that each of us knows what we are to grab when we get to each store. We make sure that all the walkie-talkies have fresh batteries and we are off. Upon arrival we turn on the walkies and then divide and conquer! We are usually in and out of a particular store in 30 minutes or less and loaded with all kinds of booty. Aaww...just typing this up for you makes me miss it. But I realize that there is no way I will be ready to elbow my way through the crowds this year. I digress....in any event, the more people you have, the more fun it is. I highly endorse it. My husband says that the girls and I are trying to make BF shopping an Olympic event.
 
Damn! better planned than many a field training exercise! I expect you could make anything fun---even shopping, which is way down on my list of favorite things to do.
Poppet I expect he will refer his patients who are computer savvy to Bone Smart. I'm going to suggest, too, that he copy some of the articles that Josephine wants everyone to read, to give to those who aren't. Such a great source of vital information.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom