Guest viewing is limited

THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi nerdgrrl! So glad you are on your road to recovery. I am sorry you have to deal with the dizziness:( I can't imagine that its much fun. I've been lucky that is one thing I haven't experienced since my surgery. Othar than that it sounds like you are doing well:) get lots of rest and keep us updated on how you are doing.
Misty
 
Love the fact that you are nesting... Keep it up, along with the napping, elevating, icing, meds..m:)
 
Thanks for all the well wishes!

So my big exciting news is that I was able to wash my hair in the kitchen sink yesterday! Ahhhh, feels so much nicer. :spin: I was getting a little "crusty". I had the DAA, so no bending restrictions, thank goodness. It was a tad bit tiring, so I took a nap after, which made it dry a little funny, but at least it is clean! Today, I took a sponge bath in the tub using my shower chair and a bucket. I had been using the bath cloths they sell at the store, but this feels much nicer. Also allowed me to practice getting into the shower without the water running and all that.

I have set up the couch with a bunch of comforters, which seems to make a nice spot for vegging/napping in the living room. On Monday, I should have a thick cushion (intended for an outdoor lawn chair) arriving from Amazon, which will be placed on the couch to get it a little higher. Pain control is going well. I am taking ibuprofen (400 mg) and tylenol (500 mg) during the day and one oxycodone at night to help with sleep. Oh, plus I take two aspirin a day for anti-blood clot, but they probably help with inflammation as well. Luckily, that seems to do the trick. There is some mild discomfort when walking, but that is ok, since pain is supposed to be my guide. By evening, with my many trips to the bathroom and some trips to living room, it seems like I just need the extra oomph to get to sleep.

I am icing religiously, and keeping my toes above my nose as much as possible. My surgeon also made a point of saying that I should make sure to not only keep my toes up, but I should avoid a crease in my hip. So, not much of the toes up, and head up creating a "v" where the fluids can just pool in my hip area.

I certainly notice much more stiffness when I have been sitting upright for awhile, even as little as 45 min. I have a collection of the "colpack" brand ice packs largest size and medium size, which we are putting in the downstairs freezer to get extra cold, so they last longer. I like the size because I can wrap it from the front (where incision is) to the side and back to really keep things cooled off.

Well, lunch has arrived, so I will sign off for now...
-nerdgrrl
 
You sound like you are doing good. Please keep it up and welcome to this side. Tashia
 
I would kill for clean hair about now! My pony tail is looking a bit sorry.

It sounds like you are recovering nicely. I'm so happy for you. Try to keep taking it easy. I know, it's easier said than done. Snuggle up, read something interesting, watch something entertaining and enjoy the down time.

I will check in with you tomorrow.

Tammy
 
Glad you're home and doing well. I've been off line for a little while and read your thread. I love the white noise app myself. It's good when I travel to get some sleep. Make sure you keep up with the rest, ice and elevate. Icing is really your friend. Your kitties sound nice. Mine really kept me company as I was recovering. Tomorrow is my 5 week and I have my follow up with the OS since my hospital stay.
 
Attempting to upload my "assistant caregivers" photos.

This is Theo "adventure boy". He believes any time we put up the ladder to say, change a light bulb or smoke detector batteries, that we have put it there for his entertainment.
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!


These are Katie (aka Katiebug) best hiking companion ever, except for the inability to dial a phone in the case of emergency. And Simon the snuggly black cat, whose meow sounds exactly like the cat in the "Simon's Cat" cartoon until he gets really insistent.
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!


Sorry about the large size, I'll go a little smaller next time!

Tried one crutch on a trip to the bathroom today. Decided it is not quite time for that yet!

-nerdgrrl
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
    CIMG0714 (1426 x 950).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 939
Very cute:) It sounds like you are doing amazing! You will be walking before you know it. I'm going on week 3 tomorrow and I took some steps unassisted today.....you go girl!
 
Hi Nerdgrrl

It's great to hear how well you are doing with your recovery!

I love your fur babies. It's great to have their company & cuddles while you are on the mend. I'll miss that, as I don't have my girl anymore. :sad:

Thinking of you.

Best wishes
Diane
 
Nerdgrrl, it sounds like you are doing great. I am still non-weightbearing, so will have to hold on to both crutches for a while longer still. Take it easy and don't over do it. Ice, ice, ice. Your cats are so cute. I'm allergic to them, so have dogs instead. I love these 4-legged fur-babies.
 
Cute photos!!! I love "ladder kitty." It sounds like you have a great recovery going there, so keep it up!!!
 
nerdgrrl you are only 1 week into this. don't get frustrated yet, and read read read about everybody
else's recovery. at 1 week, i had just gotten home and was way down, and having a hard getting
around etc.
now, at 3 weeks, i walk more than 3/4 mile outside, no crutches, and do stairs no problem, shower
myself, dress myself. so you will be amazed at how the next 2 or 3 weeks progress. keep resting,
eating, take iron for blood recovery, and you will see.
 
Thanks, cnydutch! I think my frustration was more around independence, because with one crutch you can carry things with the other hand. I have a little bag that attaches to my crutches but it is too small for some things like my ice bags. So I keep having to ask for fresh ice. To be clear this annoys me, not any care givers. Going to go dig out my "tiny" back pack now, so I can work around it. :). Patience is not one of my best attributes, so thanks for the reassurance. :angel:

-nerdgrrl
 
nerdgrrl, great minds think alike. I dug out the small back pack before I left for the hospital. I carry all kinds of things in that little darn. You would laugh at what will fit in the back of your waistband too. I have carried my kindle and my phone in the back of my pants from point A to point B. Necessity IS the mother of all invention. Carry on my friend.
 
I have a nylon cheap backback that was given as a prom, love it it is light swing it on to my back and I am in business, I generally stick my grabber in there too, and it sticks out the top, like I am getting ready for a sword fight, silly, but it works and allows you independence
 
I am picturing "Bellaroma Warrior Princess" cleaning up the eggs with her grabber/sword :snork: (I think you are old enough to remember Xena, warrior princess?) Makes me feel a little "tougher" walking around the house ;)
 
Very cute companions you have there nerdgrrl...

You are very wise not to rush giving up your aids too soon. Your body will let you know when it is strong enough.. You just leave it somewhere and take off :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom