Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Nanamac's story - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back, Janet! I'm glad to know your surgery went well. I've been wondering how you were doing.
 
Well, well, our Janet it back! The place will seem normal again at last! Congrats on the new hip ... but you have to know I am busting with curiosity to know what he found was wrong with the old one?

As for the ice machine, it was Cryo-cuff and Breg PolarCare. You can see them all here Using ice. The article shows knees but you can get wraps for hips as well.
 
JANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happy dance::happy dance::happy dance::happy dance:

Your back and with a new shiny hip!!!!!! I cant believe how emotional I am to see you writing that you feel great!!Tearing up here with happy tears!!!

How has the other hip/leg/thigh been acting? Good I hope.

Please fill us in when you have the strength:dancy:
 
Hi Jo! Right before my surgery he asked if I had noticed an LLD with the first leg :DOH:. I told him that I had been saying that for 2 years and he kept disagreeing with me. He just smiled and said it was 5/8 of an inch longer and that could be why I was feeling the way I was.

So, he made them even and so far I am feeling fantastic! Of course, I am still on 6mg Dilaudid so we shall see when I am off of it. But, the Percocet wasn't helping the pain at all, so perhaps that was all that was necessary?

Anyway, I have no restrictions, I was evaluated by the Nurse and the Therapist today and both were amazed...as am I! I honestly can't believe I had a THR! This is unbelievable! My God how I suffered with the first.

I have had trouble with my BP (45/65 post-op) and with needing transfusions. But, they are closely monitoring and couldn't keep me in rehab as I was climbing stairs at day #4. I feel great! I see my GP on Tuesday so I wil see if she has any more details. If not, I see the OS on 4/26.

That is all I know so far.
 
Hi Janet! So glad you continue to improve!

Regarding the ice - I bought a six pack of these gel packs. They sit flat in the freezer and if you freeze 3 or 4 you can rotate them and always have one handy. They come in larger sizes as well and wrap around areas very nicely. Bought them on the internet.

Please keep us updated!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Nanamac's story - Part 3
    gel packs.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 167
Thanks Jaycey. I do have some nice gel packs that I forgot about :DOH:. I was using the bags that you fill with ice that I left rehab with. Those actually stay cold all night.

I was just curious how the ones that I asked Jo about work. Any input from people who have used a polar cuff type would be appreciated.

I also have an ancient hot/cold water bottle that I could fill with ice. I never thought of that and that is big! The ice maker caught up overnight.

@alexthecat: what do use recommend for clients? I am trying to elevate a lot in the hospital bed, but I am up walking a lot as well. Tons of swelling in op leg. Not much bruising this time though.

Sorry if I'm jumping all over the place. I can't shower until wednesday as I only have steri strips and glue so I am going to wash my hair in the kitchen sink in a few mintues as I feel like I have cooties :th_heehee:!

I still can't believe it is all over with and went so smooth this time, thank God.

Also an up date on SIL. Still out of work and on valium, amitriptaline and other drugs as he keeps panicing over his situation. Migraines are not as frequent though. What a horrible accident. Be so careful on the ice...

I need to read a lot of threads on here so bear with me while I get caught up. I still think about everyone and will be writing soon...:thumb:
 
Janet, I don't make recommendations to my clients with regard to icing. They are recreational athletes, not surgical patients, so it's up to them to decide whether, when, and how to ice. They tend to have their own preferences with that, anyway.
 
Thanks. I guess I was wondering more if there was any talk about preference. Not a problem.
 
A lot of people use bags of frozen vegetables. That's what I used to do in my pre-hip fracture life. I can't really recommend that though, since I was only icing for 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch.

Before my THR, I bought a couple of gel packs, similar to the image Jaycey shared above. I didn't use them much though. Compared to my earlier surgeries, I had very little swelling after THR.
 
Welcome home Janet. Glad to hear you are doing well. Thank your daughter for the email updates.

I like the pouches shown below. Also if you have the fillable ice bag with the top that goes on it, that sounds great. I don't really see any sense in buying anything to add to what you already have.

Hope and pray your recovery continues to go well.

Helen :friends:
 
:dancy: nice to have you back, sounds like things are going great for you - not before time! Keep us posted x
 
Hi Janet, I am so happy your surgery was a postive experience this time around. It will be a joy to follow your recovery my friend:dancy:..
 
Janet, how nice to return and see such a positive turn of events for you. Keep these good reports coming.

Sharon
 
Sharon! How are you doing, my almost-anniversary buddy? Are we going to get an update from you? Please? :biggrin:
 
Alex!! :)
The short version is I'm totally fine. Just had my one year checkup and everything is just as it should be. Walking regularly, dancing, even doing a regular strength training program.

However, the other hip is protesting a bit. Some days more than a bit. So I am scheduled for a replacement in July. I am ambivalent about doing it so soon, but I'll explain in more detail when I update my own thread....soon, I promise.

That's why I love hearing that Janet has had a successful second surgery. If one new hip is good, two is even better, right?

Goodness, it's good to be back here!!

sharon
 
Wow - a mini reunion on Janet's thread. Great to see you Sharon and Sylvia! Hope we here more from you!

Hey Janet - how's it going? Not jogging yet are you? :th_heehee:
 
I am thrilled that everyone joined in! What a delightful post to wake up to!

I am doing great. I had a very busy day yesterday and NEVER in a million years could imegine that it would be possible to do any of this so soon after a THR!

It is 2 weeks post-op today and honestly feel like it is already a few months, except for the waddle, lol. Yesterday was very, very busy. PT, OT, Nurse and had to go to my GP for a post op visit and labs.

I stayed on my feet putting together a dinner for Bill that my daughter made for us, shepherd's pie. I know I over did it, but felt fine. My leg is terribly swollen and my GP increased my Lasix a bit, alternating days.

Today I am still in bed. I will do my exercises after I post and then get up. I did get up at 7am to feed Lizzie and then went back to bed.

Thank God I am doing do well as Bill is having surgery next Wednesday as he found a lump in his arm pit and each day it is more and more painful and getting larger. Please say a prayer that it will be OK.

While In the rehab I found out that my sisters 57 year old husband has Pancreatic Cancer so the health issues are moving around the family it seems. SIL is still not back to work. :prayer1:What can I do but pray?

So, thank God I am on the mend.

Sharon, don't let it get too bad. By the time I was x-rayed in November until my surgery in March, I developed protrusio again!

So, I am well, will try to get more involved in the forum, but seems like someone is always here lately! I am camped out in the living room again and it is fillid with flowers and other gifts from friends. I am sooo lucky!
 
You sound fantastic Janet! So happy for you. Sending positive thoughts for Bill. Hope it's just a minor glitch in life!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom