Revision THR Nanamac's story - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janet,

So glad things turned out OK for Bill. How are you and your new hip doing?

Hope the week ahead will be a good one.

Hello Janet, so glad to hear they got your husband's cancer in time. Yes, it pays to keep on top of it. I had a squamous cell cancer inside my backside, so to speak (there's no polite way of saying it), and it spread to the pelvic lymph nodes, so it was grade IIIb by the time they found it. I had no idea it was there. So squamous cell cancers can spread. But it's wonderful that your husband's was caught in time, and I'm sure you and he will be vigilant in future.

And how is your hip?

Thanks everyone :thumb:!

I am doing very well Jane, thank you! I was less sore for a few weeks after the surgery for a while, but the more I do, the more I feel discomfort, not pain really. Just the poor ol' joints that haven't moved in a few years, lol.

I don't know that I am ever going to be able to do stairds normally. I am hoping that Bill can get a second railing on the other wall as I can see this is not going to happen over night.

I am walking up & down the street daily. I am limited on where I can walk to as I live on a hill and even though my street is flat, once I turn the corner on either rnd of the street, the hills are quite steep.

I could walk down cautiously, but I think getting back up would be too much of a strain. I am trying not to over do it this time around. As it is, I think I was "forgetting" my crutches too soon, but didn't do any damage.

How are you doing? I was having a terrible time typing as the drugs made it almost impossible. I am slowly weaning off the heavy duty ones. Just taking them as necessary now. :friends:

Very good Bill's cancer was caught early!

Im still so thrilled your doing sooo well after your 2nd THR!! I believe you will do stairs normally, it will be one of those things that just happens one day and you'll stop and marvel at that milestone!

Thanks Haldox...I wish but I doubt it. Although the terrible pain is gone, I still feel the "engineering" is off. That is the only way I can describe it.

Something about that leg is crooked and i won't be convinced otherwise. Either the stem or the cup is set wrong.:sigh:

I am just so happy to be free of pain that I haven't talked about it...

Janet, sorry to hear about Bill. So happy they found it and it can be treated. That's just so weird. Hope you are still coming along okay. :thumb:

Haldox, no xrays until my post op check on the 26th. I am sure everything will be fine with those.

Helen, thanks for thinking of us. We are lucky and I am sure Bill will be fine too :thumb:!

Janet, don't fret about the stairs - they will come with time. One day you'll realise you've walked up a couple of steps normally without thinking about it. Sounds like an extra grab bar might be a good idea, though.

Like you I live somewhere where it's hard to find a flat walk. I found walking up hills really hard work after the first hip, and felt a bit despairing at first, as hill walking is my 'thing'. However, my physio suggested I use walking poles and that really helped for a few weeks. I don't normally use them or like them, but I got myself a cheap pair, and they not only helped me get up hills but also kept me symmetrical. You definitely need some sort of assistance up hills at first.

I hope so but I honestly don't think I will ever be able to do them properly Jane. Believe me. Jo knows what I am talking about...

That's ok though. Perhaps with time and more pt I will be surprised...:wink1:

Knee person here, but I never ever thought I'd learn the gait thing or walk steps normally. I did them backwards for some time. Somehow it just happens. If I could count how many steps I do a day I think I'd be suprised. 36 from Floor 1 to Floor 3...one way.

I'm going to count them one day!!:snork:

You are so early out so be patient. :friends:

Hi Janet,

Sorry to hear about your husband Bill, it's good they caught it early. You sound like your doing really well, which makes me happy!

Lots of love,

Sarah

I know what you mean about stairs Janet......If I'm tired or feeling a bit achey and creaky I do one at a time and rely very heavily on the bannister.

Take care :biggrin:

Janet

I didn't realise when i last read your thread that you have had the second hip replaced.

Welcome to a very select group of double hippies!!!

Seriously, I am pleased things are still going ok for you, but please remember the healing takes time. You have had a torrid time for the last twelve months at least whilst others like me have pretty much sailed through with only minor hiccups along the way.

Your recovery now, which i am so pleased seems to be very real, will take a bit longer. But you will without any doubt be climbing stairs normally and walking up the local hills. I have no doubt.

I am anticipating you may be reporting planned bungy jumps sometime in the future!!!!

give it time

Its is a marathon not a sprint.

take Care

Dave

PS regards to Bill. hope he is doing ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom