THR My thigh muscle is too weak

I had my check-up yesterday to see if I needed another injection. The first one did help the greater trochanter area a lot. The groin area still hurts at times. It is not horrid pain, more like a dull headache. It comes and goes and is worse at night. The PA decided that I was fine and if I got worse to let them know and they would do the guided injection into the groin area. I did have one other thing happen the night before the Dr appointment: getting out of the bathtub, there was some type of pop or crunch. It was in the greater trochanter area. It was very painful and the pain was from about halfway into the left gluteal area around, into the groin. I iced and took ibuprofen. The PA thinks it was scar tissue breaking. She told me to see how I feel in 8 weeks as she thinks it is my muscles healing. I am still sore to slight pressure at the top of my thigh.
 
I’m sorry you’re still struggling, Grammy. Try icing again if you’re not already. I’m sure you’re tired of this slow slog many days, but sadly it takes some longer than others to fully recover. We often remind members recovery can take a full year and even up to two years for some. Hang in there, hopefully you’re noticing progress albeit slower than you prefer.
Wishing you a nice Sunday and week!
@Grammy57
 
@Layla, Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I have been icing. It's hard to know when to rest or when to keep going. I was told to give it 8 weeks and see how I felt about things. To call earlier if I needed to. I have thumb surgery scheduled for the 17th of Sept. Maybe that will take me mind off my hip.:rotfl:
 
I have a question. When I saw the Dr/PA on Friday, my hip wasn't hurting too badly. The drive there and back is about 150 minutes in total. By the time I got home my hip was getting more sore. I rested the rest of the day. I did my normal routine on Saturday and rested on Sunday. But my hip kept getting worse each day. But yesterday evening it was hurting a lot. I sent a message to the PA about it. I was better sleeping but the pain started immediately after getting up. It's the same pain they gave me an injection for, they said it was bursitis. I'm not sure what to do. Do I make another appointment for another injection or should I wait the 8 weeks like the PA suggested. I can't keep getting injections and I sure hate to put my life on hold for 8 weeks. I'm really confused. Thanks.
 
Hi @Grammy57
Sorry you’re dealing with pain. It sounds like the two and a half hour drive caused some aggravation. That’s a long time to sit in the confined space of a vehicle. Hopefully you took some breaks to stretch and walk a bit.

If you’re not already, try rest, ice and OTC pain relief as needed to get you through the next week and see if you notice any improvement. That’s what I would do in an effort to avoid another injection as you mentioned you‘re trying to do. Keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing. We’re here for you. :console2:
 
I did do those things yesterday and today. Today it is a bit better, but as I was turning around in the kitchen, almost a pivot, I had to stop myself as I could feel it starting to pull/burn at the top of my thigh, front half of the side of thigh. I sat down to rest it immediately and will be more careful from now on. I'm wondering if I did something to a tendon in that area as that is the same area that "popped" when I was exiting the bathtub and caused so much pain. I'm thankful it's calming down.
 
Great news that today is better! Consider icing and resting several times daily until you’re feeling more confident in improvement. Move slowly and try to avoid twisting and pivoting. Feel hopeful as you notice the discomfort calming down. Your body is still healing.
Have a good afternoon and evening!
@Grammy57
 
I am glad to hear your pain is easing. Our hips really do let us know when we do something they are not ready to do. Keep resting and icing. Sending healing vibes for continued improvement. :flwrysmile:
 
@Layla, do you have any idea why the pivoting did this? Do you think I pulled a tendon? I know you're not a Dr and are not supposed to give medical advice, so if you can't answer this, I do understand.
 
I‘m sorry, Grammy, I don’t know. Maybe you should give it a few more days if you’re not in unbearable pain and if you’re not pleased with your progress and feeling like you’re moving in the right direction by then, give your OS’s office a call and see what they advise. Fingers crossed it continues to improve.
@Grammy57
 
Thank you. I guess that was an unfair question. So far, so good. :)
 
@Grammy57 New hips do not like any twisting or pivoting. Sounds like you just aggravated soft tissues around the joint. Rest, ice and elevate to see if this eases.
 
Thank you. I didn't realize I had turned in a different manner than I had been doing, but I guess I must have. I will be more careful.
 
I am still having issues with my hip. It hurts in the front, along the side of the hip bone. It hurts in the crease at the top of my leg also and in the greater trochanter bursa area and sometimes into my buttock. I have another appointment on Monday. I was reading over my operative reports and I noticed that in 02/19 they did a bursectomy. So, if they did that, why is it still bothering me in that area?
 
I do believe that the bursa can grow back but the hope is they will then not be inflamed anymore. I don’t think it precludes them becoming irritated again. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. This is a difficult situation since there are so many things that work together that can cause discomfort. What you’re describing is so familiar. The popping (in my case a sliding snap) might be the tendon, especially if the injections help in that pain. Bursas, muscles moving in new “old/normal” ways-so many things to figure out. Unfortunately, it all takes time. It is frustrating but try not to lose heart. I hope you’re able to get some answers Monday. Keep us posted. ❤️
 
Well, it was a long day, yesterday. First OT for my thumb CMC arthroplasty and then to the ortho Dr about my hip. I saw the PA who seemed confused about my issues and then waited a long time for the DR. He had an emergency that he had to deal with. He asked where the pain was the worst. At that moment it was in the front, but I told him that it really depended on what I was doing. He said that they had dealt with the bursa and didn't think it was that and he has me scheduled for a fluoroscopy guided hip injection. I then go and see him 2 weeks after that. I sure hope this helps figure out the problem. The less I do the better I feel, BUT, that's not good either. I don't want to dry up and harden up due to inactivity.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Grammy,
I’m sorry you’re struggling with pain. I hope the injection brings relief allowing you comfortable mobility. Let us know if it helps. :fingersx:
@Grammy57
 
@Layla Thank you. I sure hope so. It's more wearing than anything. The pain isn't the worst, just enough to slow you down and stop you at times. I feel like I'm falling apart, though healthy. My hip, my knee off and on, my thumbs and torn tendons in my toe. Ugh.
 
Good Evening,

I had the injection yesterday. It was not painful. They withdrew some fluid and sent it to the lab to make sure there was nothing going on with that. So far, I think it might be helping? Not much pain during my walk today. But tonight it's a bit more in the groin area. Does anyone know what they were looking for with this injection? My records keep saying bursitis and snapping hip syndrome. The Dr said they've done all they can for bursitis but can't the bursa come back and get inflamed again?
Thanks
 
They could be using the injection as a diagnostic tool. I had that right before I had spine surgery, my pain Doc injected just the numbing agent to confirm that was the area in question. Just guessing of course and can't really tell you if the bursa can grow back or not. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience in this area will pop on.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom