THR My thigh muscle is too weak

First, see if your surgeon or a PT has someone they recommend. Also check BS Find a Surgeon. Also look for one that treats younger patients or does FAI surgeries. May have to call around.
 
So, I've been trying to find a surgeon. The Dr that worked on my hip first with the arthroscope is changing offices. He recommended 2 Drs. One is the one the OS recommended but I'm not sure if it's because he's in the group/office or if he's a good Dr. He's a sports medicine Dr. The 2nd Dr referred me to someone else in his group but that Dr wants me to see a revision surgeon in the group first. All of these Drs are at least an hour and half to get to. I have one more group I am going to call. None of the Drs say they do FAI or anything like that. The sports medicine Dr in my OS group says they've done "a handful" of these surgeries according to his surgical scheduler.
I've been reading up on this surgery and it seems that an overnight stay for IV antibiotics is normal but the surgical scheduler didn't think her Dr did that. Is it normal? Should I ask about that?
 
My psoas release was done on an outpatient basis - pushed me out the door pretty quickly. I could walk with a cane so no big deal. The surgeon that did my release also required me to see a revision specialist first. That surgeon is more experienced in looking at whether there is enough of an issue with cup placement that a revision should be done instead. They also did tests to confirm no metalosis or infection. That surgeon also ordered the injection into the tendon to confirm the psoas impingement diagnosis and to check to see if it could be managed by injection instead of surgery. It doesn't seem like anyone does a lot of these. My surgeon said he probably did about a dozen a year. Doing other hip arthroscopies, though, provides part of the experience for this surgery.
 
Thank you. My OS first sent me for PT along with doing xrays. They then injected my hip a couple of times in the office. The next step was the injection into the joint which did nothing then the injection into the psoas that helped temporarily. It was after that injection he sent me to another Dr in the practice, a sports medicine Dr. That Dr told me if the release didn't work I'd need revision surgery. I am now confused if I should see the revision surgeon first, though the OS does revision also, or stay with the plan to do the release and then see about revision if needed. Ugh. This is so confusing.
 
Revision is still possible after the release. The release is less invasive and easier to recover from but doesn't always work. From my own perspective, I preferred to have the less invasive procedure first - especially since both the revision specialist and the surgeon doing the surgery thought I was a good candidate for it. Maybe you see a revision specialist and have the testing and review done. Then you'd feel more comfortable having the release. I know it's a trek for you but it might be worth it to get more comfort in your decision. Maybe you could even have a virtual visit with the revision surgeon. Xrays could be sent for review.
 
Thanks. I agree with you. I'd rather do the lesser first and then find out I had to have the more intense than go the more complicated and find out I could have gotten away with the lesser. Yes, the drive will be ok, just annoying.
 
The extra doctors visits can be a pain @Grammy57 but better to make your decision with as much information as possible. I would definitely use a different doctor than you OS, and outside their practice or even golf buddies. I would want confirmation that there wasn't an issue with the cup before having release surgery
 
@FCBayern thank you for your perspective. A good thought I hadn't thought of. I am waiting for a third office to call to see if their Dr can help or not. I'm anxious to get this resolved but not going to rush things.
 
Well, I had my second opinion today. He said that I should have the release surgery based on my have relief, though temporary, from the psoas bursa injection. He said the Dr I have now at the same group, and the OS are both very good Drs. He said the one that will do the release has done several and is very good at it. I guess I'm having surgery in April.
 
While I don't wish extra surgery on anyone, I'm glad you have a clear path forward. If you'd gotten a contrary opinion, it would be much harder to make a decision. It's also good to hear that the surgeon you'll be using has done some of these!
 
@SaraK Yes, I'm thankful he's done some also. I would have liked to go with the 2nd opinion Dr just on personality, but I guess I'll stay with the original Dr. Surgery is set for mid-April.
 
Hello @Grammy57
It’s good to read there is a plan in place to bring the relief you deserve.
While a pleasant bedside manner is comforting, skill is most important and hopefully you trust your surgeon and have confidence he will resolve the issue allowing you to move forward without pain.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. :)
 
@Layla, I do feel comfortable with the 1st Dr and I am staying with him. The original Dr I saw first, before the THR, left the practice and the state for a new opportunity. He recommended the 1st Dr and the 2nd Dr said he was a good Dr also.
 
@Grammy57 who is the doctor you chose to do the Psoas Release?...You are really lucky to have found a surgeon who actually has done a number of these....is he going to do the release at the lesser trocanter or a lengthening at the central compartment? how much relief (days,weeks,) did you get from the cortisone shot in the psoas?...best of luck to you...would love to know the docs name? I have talked to most who do this surgery...best
 
@Jws. Hello, the Dr who is doing the release is Nathan Marshall in Rochester, MI. The exact surgery is unknown to me. This is the first I've heard of 2 options other than totally cutting the tendon vs partially cutting it. As for the relief I got from the injection, it was a total relief for about a week and half. It did lessen the intensity for a little (very little) time after that. I do have short spells of time with little to no pain. 'I get to thinking about not having the surgery in the lull but then I get a full-blown episode and remember why I need this. I hope you find a Dr,
 
I am having my release done in just under 2 weeks. For the past few weeks, I have had something weird happening. my upper thigh feels like it gets real weak if I tighten my thigh muscle. Is this normal?
 
Hello Grammy,
I hope you had a nice Easter despite any pain or discomfort you’re suffering. I‘m not sure about the weakness you’ve described above, hopefully you received some reassurance from your surgeons office by now. It’s easy to assume it’s somehow related to your issue and that the procedure will get you back on track to perfect healing. Please share the exact date of your procedure so we can edit your signature.

We’ll be thinking of you and watching for updates in progress to cheer you on.
Wishing you comfort and a lovely weekend!
@Grammy57
 
Just catching up. It’s been quite the journey, hasn’t it? Sara has given you great guidance. I’m excited for you that you will get relief from this pain and be able to get on with life. I sent my OS a picture of my husband and I on our first bike ride a few months post release (had to wait for spring weather, LOL.) It was a very happy and satisfying day. Will be following. Wishing you the best! ❤️
 
@Layla @Hip4life Thanks, the surgery is scheduled for April 16 if I stay healthy. Flu season is in full swing here. I'm doing my best but go to OT Mon, Wed, and Fridays for therapy for my CMC arthroplasty, which is doing quite well.
 
I certainly hope you stay healthy so you’re able to keep your scheduled date and obtain the relief you’re seeking. Good to read your OT is going well. Stay in touch. I will be thinking of you next week and looking forward to any updates you’re able to share.
Hugs. :)
@Grammy57
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom