Guest viewing is limited

THR My thigh muscle is too weak

Oh, yes, that tool for loosening - made me want to sing "Hurts so good" (but no one is safe if they'll within hearing distance if I sign). Lengthening the leg would definitely seem to stretch the muscles and tendons, possibly causing pain. Give PT time but make sure you let the PT know if something hurts when you're doing it or later. If something is causing pain (not just delayed onset muscle soreness, it's important for the PT to know and take into consideration for future sessions.
 
@SaraK thanks. I totally agree about letting them know. The tool actually wasn't so bad, she was very gentle. I have 1 exercise so far and it's fairly easy. I return tomorrow. I hope this helps.
 
For me, the pain level was less about a week after surgery compared to before. I considered that a successful outcome. I could actually sleep - and in a BED! From there, working to get back the full range of motion was the icing on the cake. That hip still doesn't move or feel quite the same as the other but close enough. I can do deep back squats with 125 lbs (used to be 170 but having to work my way back after shoulder surgery) or go for a hike, etc. It will take some time, though, for you to get to that point.
 
@SaraK , yes, I agree. The nights have been worse so far but not so bad if I take 2 tylenol. The one stretching exercise has been easy. i go back today and we'll see what's next.
 
Well, a quick update. I've been to PT for 2 full weeks (4 visits) and my inner thigh pain is gone. I do have pain along the edge of the iliac crest, especially when sleeping on that side. But, another plus is that I can now walk up a flight of stairs without having to help lift my leg. I feel like I am making progress.
 
Yay! :yay::happydance: Great news! Thanks for sharing.
I hope it only gets better and better. Keep us posted and enjoy the week.
@Grammy57
 
I'm glad you're doing well! Have you tried a pillow for your top knee? I sleep on my side towards the stomach. I found that a pillow helped because it kept me from going as much toward the stomach. It opened up the angle of the bottom hip and that reduced the discomfort for me.
 
No, I haven't tried that. I only hurt on the operated side so I never thought of a pillow. The pain, oddly, is in the area of the iliac crest and over that bone. I feel like I'm getting stronger. But, my bulging cervical spine is causing trouble. I can only sleep if I wear a surgical collar. I'm just falling apart. PT puts a lot of stress on my shoulder so it's a problem too. I see my family Dr tomorrow about my spine/shoulder.
 
How did your appt with your doctor go? There are some special pillows to reduce the stress on the shoulder that you could check on. I recently had to get a special pillow for side sleepers using a CPAP (just got my first CPAP recently).
 
@SaraK He sent me for an x-ray and prescribed a muscle relaxer and meloxicam. It helped yesterday but last night and now didn't go so well. He did mention PT and I truly think I need that. I see him again on Tues.
Speaking of PT, they say I'm making excellent progress. I have my range of motion back but need help with strength though that is getting better too. I still have minimal pain along the edge of the hip bone nad the therapist says it's tight there. But, that is improving also.
 
I like meloxicam - it helped me much more than ibuprofen or Aleve. When I was dealing with the psoas, they gave me baclofen (they said it really helps with muscle spasms). It helped but it made me so tired.

Getting strength back does take some time - you're retraining the brain as well. If you've been in pain for a while, you've probably also reduced activity and all of the muscle can be weaker. It will take some time but it sounds like you're on the right path.
 
Good luck with your appt tomorrow. It’s been a month already since your release.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
@Grammy57
 
@SaraK @Layla Well, it has been an interesting week, few weeks actually. I had to have laser treatment to remove tissue that grew over my cataract lens (the replacement lens) not painful but annoying. Then I saw the pain management Dr and he said he thought I'd need surgery but the cervical collar has helped so much I barely notice the pain except now my arm, hand, and fingers tingle when I use that arm. I saw the hand Dr and got released and told all is well. I am progressing with OT and PT. I was basically pain-free until today. Today is because for some unknown reason I fell on the sidewalk when I was walking up to the hip Dr door. Landed on my knees and hands. Skinned up and bruised. Bruised my self-confidence too. :) I suspect the pain is from the jolt and will clear up soon. The hip Dr also released me and said I was doing well.
I had an MRI to see if my neck is a problem or not and have an appointment for steroid injection with sedation. Not sure why the sedation but... I will be back in a couple of weeks and update.
 
Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you self confidence is al that's hurt.
Tell me about you laser treatment on your eyes. I just went to the eye Dr. and was told I need the YAG laser procedure as I have a film after my cataract surgery. I have problems with light causing streaks.
 
@Eman85 I'm doing better after the fall. Still a bit stiff.
As for the laser treatment, I'm not sure if it was YAG or not but it was very easy. I had it on my first eye with cataract surgery years ago. What I forgot was that they put in numbing drops but that was no big deal. You put your face up to the machine and the Dr sends laser beams into the eye. I heard snapping/zapping sounds and saw flashes of light. It took about 5 or 10 minutes. They may have also dilated my eye, but I don't remember. I wear prescription sunglasses so the whole thing was easy. I drove myself there and back. What surprised me most was that it was billed as surgery. :) I just looked up YAG and it IS what I had done. Best of luck. I'm sure it will go well.
 
Hi @Grammy57

Sorry about all your issues. It's rough when you feel like everything is falling apart. It looks like you have support and a good medical team to help figure things out. Yeah, the sedation for the injection seems a bit weird. Maybe they meant numbing? Who knows?
 
I'm sorry about your fall but glad you're getting released by doctors. Hopefully you'll find out something from the MRI. At least the collar is helping to reduce the pain for now.

When they were first suggesting an injection in my hip, I saw multiple articles that suggested they used to do that under sedation. With an injection near the spine, I wonder if the sedation is to reduce movement.

Let us know how you're doing!
 
Two months to date since your psoas release @Grammy57
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope things are looking up for you in all areas and you’re days are feeling brighter. :SUNsmile: Stay in touch.
 
@Layla Thank you. I feel I am doing ok. My thigh still hurts at times and my leg is not happy if I sit indian style for very long. I was up on the roof peeling the strip of plastic off the shingles and I had to adjust how I sat but it's not as bad as before the surgery. I still have to lift my leg at times too but I am getting stronger every day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom