Guest viewing is limited

Ankle My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story

Great photos! Everything is looking good.
 
Thank you for posting. I hadn't realized there were two separate ankle incisions. They do look like they're healing nicely!
 
Thank you for sharing the photos, @Newhip_Pol. Your incisions do look good. And now that the staples are out, you will see lots of improvement. If you are interested in something that will help with the healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. In the US, we use ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel, but you should be able to find similar products in the UK. I didn't know about it for my ankle or first knee, but it really did make a difference on the second scar.
 
Thanks for all the good wishes. That's 3 weeks done and dusted and with the staples out the leg definitely feels much better - so much so that I missed doses of pain killers yesterday. So now I'm trying paracetamol only through the day (1000mg every 6 hours) and Nefopam 30mg with the paracetamol at bedtime.
I woke at 5:30am this morning so will likely have a nap later - still on a restricted mobility, partial weight bearing, regime for the next 3 weeks.
Hey ho.:nah:
 
Shorts!?! Here in Scotland the only people still in shorts are the posties
Well it’s not warm, and the knees do like to be cold! :heehee:
The physio said the new nerves around the incisions grow back without sheaths which is why they’re so so sensitive to clothing etc.
It’s 13’ here this morning and feels like 8’. See how it goes.
You’re doing great.
 
Shorts!?! Here in Scotland the only people still in shorts are the posties :heehee:
Just checking in on your progress, my brain fog had me following your hip thread. Had to laugh being on the Scottish borders myself... Our lovely postie is still sporting shorts too... I'm looking longingly at the log burner and thinking, very soon!

Good news on reducing the meds :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
The physio said the new nerves around the incisions grow back without sheaths which is why they’re so so sensitive to clothing etc.
Hi @Legseleven That's interesting, that maybe helps explain the small patch of loss of sensitivity on the top of my foot that sets off zingers if I touch the edge of it. Hopefully these nerves will settle for us in a few weeks. Fingers crossed
 
Week 4 done and final wound dressing is off.

Visit to a nearby community centre for RSV vaccination yesterday went better than I expected.

Today, with the dressing off and with help from hubby and a bath board I finally had a proper shower and feel so much better for it. We took the boot off and put it back on whilst I was sitting on the bath board wrapped in a giant towel - we did spread a lot of water around the bathroom :heehee: but it was well worth it.

I'm now resting at home with the leg up after we met our daughter for lunch - so good get a feeling of normality back. :flwrysmile:

Best wishes everyone - onwards and upwards one day at a time.
 
Oh that first nice hot shower after being home and cleared for it... the memory still makes me smile. A great milestone!
 
Congrats on graduating to fresh and fabulous! :wink: First showers are the best!
I took my walker in for my first shower, so needless to say I can relate to the wet bathroom floor afterward. Hubs said. "no more of that, there has to be a better way." We do what we have to do early on. Free pass!
Happy Saturday!
@Newhip_Pol
 
Week 5 done and dusted. Had a visit from a friend / former colleague, good to catch up even if the news did include a few funerals - we are getting to that age where reunions involve fewer and fewer people!
I've been out to lunch a few times this week, car journeys are easier and the leg is ok without elevation for a few hours. Mostly using just one crutch and occasionally forget that at home
However, I am getting more fed up now and really hoping I'll be able to ditch the Big Boot (walking boot) after my checkup and x-ray next Thursday, 2nd October.
 
I am getting more fed up now and really hoping I'll be able to ditch the Big Boot (walking boot) after my checkup and x-ray
I remember growing to hate that thing! Especially when the surgeon told me at my 6-week check-up that I needed to use it for another 2 weeks. ARGH! Hang in there.

I'm happy to read that you are getting out and about. Don't let Big Boot keep you down!
 
Best Wishes for your appointment next Thursday. Fingers crossed you get a nod to ditch the boot! :fingersx:
@Newhip_Pol
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom