Guest viewing is limited

Ankle My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story

I didn't say I navigated it well :heehee: Just being stupid really and going into work when I should have said no. Have you tried sitting on the stairs and going up and down kiddy style? I managed it very well with two and I'd think it would be reasonably easy with one. Those boots are a little unnerving on stairs, although you do get accustomed to them.
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
I hope you're having a good day. Left a link to this thread over on your hip update post in an effort to get you some love from old buddies over here. :thumb: Enjoy the rest of the day and sweet dreams tonight.
@Newhip_Pol
 
I didn't say I navigated it well :heehee: Just being stupid really and going into work when I should have said no. Have you tried sitting on the stairs and going up and down kiddy style? I managed it very well with two and I'd think it would be reasonably easy with one. Those boots are a little unnerving on stairs, although you do get accustomed to them.
No, I haven't tried kiddy style, I understand what you say but really cannot picture it for me - being a heavier person I think it might be even more difficult than the crutches :rotfl:
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
I hope you're having a good day. Left a link to this thread over on your hip update post in an effort to get you some love from old buddies over here. :thumb: Enjoy the rest of the day and sweet dreams tonight.
@Newhip_Pol
Thanks @Layla :thankyou:
 
So we're at the end of Friday 14 days post-op.
Not much change really, still spending most of the day half sitting in a comfy chair with leg elevated on a giant cushion. Walking to the toilet every few hours is getting a little easier and pain is manageable and more focussed. Slightly concerned about top of foot/forefoot pain when walking or wiggling toes - location is beyond the wound and not as far down as toes, almost metatarsalgia region but on top rather than in the metatarsal pad - feels almost bruised. Also beginning to worry that it will be 20 days when I have the appointment to remove the clips - sounds a long time but have to assume they know what they're doing.
Too much time to think - need to start ready another murder mystery to escape!
 
Slightly concerned about top of foot/forefoot pain when walking or wiggling toes - location is beyond the wound and not as far down as toes, almost metatarsalgia
Remember that all of the soft tissue in your foot and lower leg were pushed and pulled and stretched and shoved during the surgery. You can have bruising anywhere in those areas. It's not just the ankle that experiences surgical trauma. I think that becomes more noticeable as inflammation goes down and as the pain at the incision site starts to resolve.

Give it a few days to settle down. If it continues to worry you, check with your surgical team.
 
Thanks @benne68 - I couldn't figure out how that part of the foot could be affected but shoving and stretching would certainly do it! :heehee:
I'll put it on my list of questions for next week.
 
Also remember that swelling takes place in areas other than where the incision because gravity tends to move fluid downward. Elevation (and ice) help, but the lymph system works very slowly to move that fluid upwards toward your torso for elimination from the body. If it’s comfortable for you, you could do some lymphatic massage to encourage fluid up from your feet. Be sure your elevation is toes above the nose as much as you can during the day and night.
 
There hasn't been a great deal of discernible swelling, just occasionally under the boot above the ankle itself. However, gravity is definitely at play, despite the foot rarely being down except for trips to the loo, there is now dark staining around the back of my heel and the darkening of the toes visible in the photos seems to have dissipated. Every day a new discovery!
Lymphatic drainage sounds attractive but think I'll wait until the wounds are fully healed.
@Jamie @benne68
 
So it's day 16 post-op and both hubby and I are getting frustrated with my lack of mobility. Woke yesterday with more pronounced pain so took paracetamol early at 4:30am. Today better so back on schedule with paracetamol every 6hrs and nefopam every 8hrs. I take them together between 23:30 and midnight then they alternate through the day.
Later yesterday and through the night I've been able to make my short trips to bathroom or toilet slow and steady using one crutch - it means I have a better, more upright stance. Stairs, down in the morning and up in the evening, are getting easier with practice.
 
So it's day 16 post-op and both hubby and I are getting frustrated with my lack of mobility.
I understand your frustration Joint recoveries take a looonnnggg time -- as you know from your hip replacements. Personally, I found my recovery from ankle surgery took much longer than either my hip or knee. Not being able to weight bear for six weeks was miserable.

Stairs, down in the morning and up in the evening, are getting easier with practice.
Glad to read this. Stairs were my nemesis during the first month of my ankle surgery recovery. I spent weeks doing it "toddler style" and ended up with very sore arms!

You're doing great. Exercise that Patience Muscle!
 
Day 18 and I feel much better - almost as if yesterday I've turned a corner and come out of the fog. Still taking painkillers on schedule and moving slow and steady with one crutch. Pain well controlled and tummy has calmed to the point where I was able to eat mild curry that hubby made last night with no untoward effects today. Yay :yay:
I'm not doing very much but certainly more interested in what's happening although trying to exercise that patience muscle. Staples due out on Thursday (day 20) - scary stuff - wonder if they can offer lidocaine patch or gel?
 
Great update! I am glad you're feeling better.
Wishing you the best for the staple removal tomorrow. Hopefully the process is quick and tolerable. I know you'll feel relieved afterward. As far as what they may offer for your comfort, it will depend upon their protocol, because that can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Please let us know how it goes and safe travels to and from your appointment tomorrow.
@Newhip_Pol
 
So Day 20 and staples out - a bit nippy but not the dreadful drama I expected. Consultant had a quick look and notes I have delicate skin but all good so far. :egypdance:
 
Glad it wasn't too traumatic! I remember dreading having my staples removed after my ankle surgery because the skin is so thin around the ankle area. The nurse tried her best to distract me; It was uncomfortable-- but I survived.

If you don't mind, would you share a photo of your incision? We don't have many TAR recovery images on the forum and it might be helpful to others.
 
a bit nippy but not the dreadful drama I expected.
Yahoo! We certainly can let our imagination run wild at times, right? I guess I should speak for myself, lol.
I'm happy it was not as painful as you anticipated it might be. All good news!
Hope you're having s good day, Newhip_Pol.
 
Hi @benne68
Herewith pictures:
1. Sept.02 Day 11 before stitch removal of wound over site of ankle arthroplasty
2. Sept.02 Day 11 showing site of surgical insertion for jig/alignment frame at point of reference below knee (tibial protuberance)
3. Sept.11 Day 20 after staples removed from site of fibular osteotomy
[Bonesmart.org] My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story
[Bonesmart.org] My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story
[Bonesmart.org] My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story
 
Reading comments about what other hippies have been wearing post-op I confess I cannot remember - most likely nighties at first then pyjamas or joggers.
Ankle recovery is different e.g. getting up from chair or out of bed isn't as difficult because my hips are ok and I could sleep on my side if only the Big Boot wasn't in the way :heehee:
Because I have to wear the boot whenever I am on my feet, I'm wearing wide cropped leg pyjamas at night and have bought wide leg cropped (virtually ankle length on little old me) yoga trousers in a larger size than usual. The leg width means they just about go on and off over the boot and the soft, fold over, waist band means no tummy pressure.
Now that I can wash and moisturise the midline ankle wound, I have ordered knee length socks to go under the boot instead of the crepe bandage supplied by the hospital. The fibular wound has to stay covered and dry for another week.
 
Back
Top Bottom