Ankle My (TAR) Ankle Replacement Story

Finally, whilst we were away, NHS letters have come with proposed date for TAR 22nd August.
I had a preop assessment update appointment yesterday which included the first x-ray for quite some time. There is a preop appointment with the surgeon 14th August to discuss that x-ray and surgery details.

After 2yrs on the waiting list it's all a bit of an overwhelming roller coaster such that I'm now at the stage of re-reading hospital reviews etc to reassure myself that this surgery will be worth the effort!

Here's hoping third time lucky following the success of my two hip replacements.
 
Great news that you have a date for your surgery, @Newhip_Pol!

We will add it to your signature -- but please let us know which ankle. (I did a quick read through of your thread and don't see it mentioned).
 
@Newhip_Pol It's funny how much our emotions can switch gears on these journeys. I'm sure it's a relief to have a surgery date but now it's such a whirlwind in getting everything ready for the surgery and recovery. Blessings as you go full steam ahead!
 
I’m glad things are going ok. Hope things improve for your husband as well. The holiday sounds relaxing!

Marie
 
Great news that you have a date for your surgery, @Newhip_Pol!

We will add it to your signature -- but please let us know which ankle. (I did a quick read through of your thread and don't see it mentioned).
It's the left ankle that will be replaced.
Had a final meeting with the surgeon today and it seems my left fibula is out of alignment (apparently not uncommon after fracture repair) so he will perform a fibular osteotomy during the operation, inserting a low profile plate which I should be able to tolerate.
 
I’m glad things are going ok. Hope things improve for your husband as well. The holiday sounds relaxing!

Marie
Hubby seems to be coping well. The holiday was a mixed blessing, lovely to be with the family, get to swim in the sea and the pool but I really struggled with the humidity and the mosquito bites. All ok now, back to a Scottish 'heatwave' temp. 27°C yesterday and 23°C today :heehee:
 
Thanks for the information about which knee. I've updated your signature.

a low profile plate which I should be able to tolerate.
I have a low-profile plate in my right ankle from my fracture repair. I found it a bit annoying at first, but it become much less noticeable over time until I completely forgot it was there. It just took some patience -- but all these recoveries do, don't they?
:flwrysmile:
 
Waiting in 'admissions lounge' for op in a few hours time. Apparently I'm to have sciatic nerve block, then general anaesthetic plus femoral nerve block. More later!
 
Wishing you the best as you start your healing journey, Newhip_Pol
Brighter days ahead...please keep us posted. :)
@Newhip_Pol
 
AND IT'S DONE
So now it's bedpans and painkillers and wondering when I'll get home. Apparently op took longer than expected although surgeon said it went well. Went to theatre at 1:15pm and was awake in recovery around 6:00pm. Given I/v paracetamol and back to ward for tea and toast around 7:00pm.
 
Fitful sleep but pretty good pain control through the night. Weird sensations as nerve blocks wear off and toes feel cramped, presumably due to swelling. Staff have been good. Had a 'lick and a promise' bed bath and now up sitting in chair waiting for porridge :)
 
Orthotics in Skechers helped me at first. Next it was a hospital walking stick and then I found using 2 walking poles helped more as long as I didn’t need shopping. The poles were especially helpful on uneven ground but even then my walking distance gradually diminished.

I hope you find something to help until your surgery.
Hi @Lindylee,
Just realised it was your suggestion of walking poles that helped to keep me mobile during my 2yr wait for surgery. Now looking forward to be using them again once the plaster and crutches are dispensed with - hopefully after 10 days of healing when the plan is to graduate to a walking boot.
Best wishes
 
For me, HOKA (rocker) shoes helped a bit along with Aleve, but wasn't much that helped.
Hi @Iski,
Just going over my timeline and your idea of HOKA shoes jumped out. Too unstable for the ankle but after the podiatrist said I needed more support than Skechers gives for my ruptured metatarsal plate (on the non ankle side!) AND that I needed a forefoot rocker I learnt a lot about rocker shoes and have been testing Brooks Ghost max3 - the relief is amazing and I'm hoping they will help during the healing of the left TAR. The bonus of Brooks 90 day return policy - even if worn outdoors - was a decider for my choice.
Best wishes.
 
Hi @benne68 @Layla
Thanks for your good wishes - should I start a new recovery thread by or can we add TAR 2025 to the title?
So far the pain is much less than with THR - perhaps less soft tissue involved or maybe the sciatic nerve block is still working :heehee:
 
You're welcome Newhip,
Since we don't have a pre-op / post op, you can stay right here and I will add TAR to your thread title.
I'm happy to read that the pain is manageable. May it long continue! I hope you have a good day. :)
@Newhip_Pol
 
Glad you are on the healing side, @Newhip_Pol.

I suspect the nerve block hasn't worn off yet, so don't be surprised if the pain spikes later today or tomorrow. Be sure to stay ahead of it by taking your pain meds on a regular schedule. I'm sure you know what to do from your THR recoveries.

Are you still in hospital or you home?
 
Hi @benne68 & @Layla
Thanks for the new posh title.
I was just in hospital the one night - had to convince a reluctant physio that I could manage crutches and stairs safely and persuade nurse that I could have aspirin and omeprazole to take home instead of the awful injections for 4wks. Eventually home about 24hrs after recovery.
Pain overnight and day one in hospital was about 5/10 but nerve blocks have definitely worn off now - waking on day 2 with leg elevated pain was minimal but ramped up to 6-7 as soon as I moved. I now have pain radiating from front as well as side of ankle as expected. On 6 hourly schedule with codeine 30mg and paracetamol 1000mg. Walking etc is hard work but all seems easier than with hip.
 
Welcome home!
Yes, definitely take the codeine and the paracetamol on schedule to try and stay ahead of the pain. And ice that extremity!
 
Welcome home, and wishing you a steady and uneventful recovery.
My 2 Cryocuffs are my best friends. Day 41 for me today and still icing all day long.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom